Udon Thani Immigration

My partner and I have had to extend our visit to the LOS so have to extend our visa. This was my first interaction with immigration (other than at the airport) and my experience is as follows.

I was genuinely impressed how helpful they seemed to be, the whole process took no more than 20-30 mins as there was a small que. Also, no que numbers which I had expected, simply met at reception explained what we needed and passed over documents, asked to take a seat, and that we would then be called.

Whiles waiting there were several folks who appeared and were seen at the 90 day reporting desk, again all seemed very quick they were in and out in 5 mins. 

We were called individually, my Thai partner was first and she had no issues, then I was called the girl was polite helpful, smiled etc.

The fee was 1900B so I handed over 2000B the girl took the money and then walked over to the desk behind and gave it to a lady in uniform and within a minute or so she came over and handed the girl back my passport. All  was then stamped and passport returned to me. At this stage I was interested only in checking my passport new stamp dates etc. before thanking the girl and leaving

As we were leaving my partner than asked if I got my 100B change, it then struck me that I did not. So they kept the change themselves. Is this usual, is it necessary to give exact fee. I'm not complaining over 100B, as I said was happy with the service just seemed a little odd that they would do this. 

• Confused 2
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, DaveCW said:

is it necessary to give exact fee. I'm not complaining over 100B, as I said was happy with the service just seemed a little odd that they would do this. 

I always give them the exact money because I know I won't get the change back.

They are employed by the government and do not need to be tipped. They are not what I would call service providers, and they do make enough money from their corrupt side, so why tip them.

Maybe you learned something today, maybe you didn't.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have heard this many, many times.   However, I’m sure just forgot you got change.   I’m sure everyone just forgot.  100 baht to falang?   Nothing.   Will you go to the world court and risk it all?   

next time, 1900.000000000000000000 exactly 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Yes, that is the usually for the female IO there, if she is still the only female there.  I always use exact change.  To UT Imm credit, they were always fast & efficient, BUT, tried a couple times to charge for free services.  Not a fan, and no, that's not SOP at all Imm office.  Of the three I've used, they were the only ones doing such.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Excel said:

It could be a genuine mistake but glad you found UT immigration helpful . Mind you until they had a sort out there "limp wrist" was in charge for around 2 years. He has been moved on now but parking his MB out the front brought local criticism. He was also the most unhelpful IO in there and would go out of his way to be difficult and the way he belittled his own staff in front of his office workers and customers was disgraceful. However if you used an agent, which is exactly how he could afford his MB things went smoother. As I said he was moved out so now it is back to the friendliness it always used to be.

That guy was an absolute nightmare, meaning too, he gave me actual nightmares.

He would always see us, and aside from any sense of queue, while standing well behind the counter staff, immediately ask to see ALL my prepared paperwork FIRST! It was like the bully seeing the prior victim scenario!

One stunt he pulled with us, 2 years back, was asking us WHY we had transferred all but 1000 baht out of my impound account, each month, leaving 1000 baht in the impound acct, each month! It was such a ludicrous question, that it left my Thai partner at a loss for words (a rarity) and he looked at me blankly, repeating his question, which was "what did you do with the money?"!

I said... buy food? pay rent? make car payment? OMG, it seemed suspicious to him! Finally he looked at my 3 OTHER bank books, and hemmed and hawwed a bit, and decided not to press the (non)issue.

He got demoted, eventually. He's STILL THERE, but in some subservient role, by the looks of things (the movement and positioning of staff) there now. Some new boss lady now sits in his former boss-person chair/office space.

The last Retirement Renewal went smoothly, but I HAVE (since that day) left the most recent month's SSA transfer funds just sitting in the impound account, after transferring money to my normal accounts, every month, just to be on the safe side.

Edited by Pawpcorn
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Pawpcorn said:

That guy was an absolute nightmare, meaning too, he gave me actual nightmares.

He would always see us, and aside from any sense of queue, while standing well behind the counter staff, immediately ask to see ALL my prepared paperwork FIRST! It was like the bully seeing the prior victim scenario!

One stunt he pulled with us, 2 years back, was asking us WHY we had transferred all but 1000 baht out of my impound account, each month, leaving 1000 baht in the impound acct, each month! It was such a ludicrous question, that it left my Thai partner at a loss for words (a rarity) and he looked at me blankly, repeating the question, which was "what did you do with the money?"!

I said... buy food? pay rent? make car payment? <deleted>, it seemed suspicious to him! Finally he looked at my 3 OTHER bank books, and hemmed and hawwed a bit, and decided not to press the (non)issue.

He got demoted, eventually. He's STILL THERE, but in some subservient role, by the looks of things (the movement and positioning of staff) there now. Some new boss lady now sits in his former boss-person chair/office space.

The last Retirement Renewal went smoothly, but I HAVE (since that day) left the most recent month's SSA transfer funds just sitting in the impound account, after transferring money to my normal accounts, every month, just to be on the safe side.

He is still there ? never seen him or his black C class anymore and when my wife asked last year her friend said he works elsewhere. Perhaps you are right and he is working out back washing cars or something possibly moonlighting in a gay club upsetting customers. The lady big chief is from Khon Kaen and took over around July last year I think and what a difference she has made. 

• Like 1

There are four broad forms of corruption:

Theft, embezzlement (large theft), bribe (speed), access. 

5 hours ago, DaveCW said:

all seemed very quick they were in and out in 5 mins.

You received a speedy service at cost. The third type of corruption.

Most corruption in Thailand benefits the 'victim'. The simple corruption of planting drugs or beating the money out of you is rare here. Much more likely you'll pay your way out of a 'problem' or dine with a goverment official.

Welcome to Thailand. Have a nice day. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Excel said:

He is still there ? never seen him or his black C class anymore and when my wife asked last year her friend said he works elsewhere. Perhaps you are right and he is working out back washing cars or something possibly moonlighting in a gay club upsetting customers. The lady big chief is from Khon Kaen and took over around July last year I think and what a difference she has made. 

Yup, well, in February he was, anyway...

Just watched him butterfly from spot to spot, staff to staff, not really seeming to do much beyond "yucking it up" in his pointless movements and motions. My partner is VERY observant in watching the details of the staffing there, and shared the detailed explanations with me as time passed there.

He was probably demoted to what passes for an inactive position there.

I hadn't made the connection between him and the MB auto, so no observations RE that. ????

18 minutes ago, Pawpcorn said:

Yup, well, in February he was, anyway...

Just watched him butterfly from spot to spot, staff to staff, not really seeming to do much beyond "yucking it up" in his pointless movements and motions. My partner is VERY observant in watching the details of the staffing there, and shared the detailed explanations with me as time passed there.

He was probably demoted to what passes for an inactive position there.

I hadn't made the connection between him and the MB auto, so no observations RE that. ????

Well I'll check again next month but didn't see him at the previous 90 day report times, unless of course he was on a training course for customer service ????

• Haha 1

I have used Udon Thani immigration for the past 8 years. My experience has varied over the years. Not getting the 100 baht change is usual. I asked them for the change and they begrudgingly gave it to me.

I think the Udon Immigration office in Udon got a new lead official about 2 years ago. 

Usually they are polite and expeditious

Edited by jingjai9
  • Thanks 1

"Why did your Thai partner need to extend? Did she use a different passport than her Thai one? or am I missing something here."

Her Thai PP had expired (not been home for about 7 year) so came in on her UK PP

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, DaveCW said:

"Why did your Thai partner need to extend? Did she use a different passport than her Thai one? or am I missing something here."

Her Thai PP had expired (not been home for about 7 year) so came in on her UK PP

So technically, if staying long term, she could leave on UK PP & pop over to Laos and simply return on her renewed Thai PP/ID.  

28 minutes ago, DaveCW said:

Thank you for the answer.  Did she go into the Udon Passport office and obtain a new one while there.  It only took my daughter about 30 minutes inside and then about 5 days later it was mailed to the house in Nong Saeng.  She entered on her expired Thai passport as a Thai National can return on an expired passport, she just had to renew it while here.  Upon return to the US she just showed her US passport.

Edited by ThailandRyan

18 hours ago, KhunLA said:

So technically, if staying long term, she could leave on UK PP & pop over to Laos and simply return on her renewed Thai PP/ID.  

Only if she flew out of Thailand. The change of passport is only OK by air.

Crossing a land border you can not use a different passport exiting one country and entering another. You must always use the passport you entered the country on. If she used the Thai passport to exit Thailand and enter Laos (she certainly can do that) she will not get an exit stamp in her U.K. passport so that trip wouldn’t change her status (since she would still technically be in Thailand <on the U.K. passport>).

If she flew to any country and did not use her U.K. passport (that she used to enter Thailand) to exit Thailand she would be on overstay in Thailand even though she wasn’t in Thailand. This then becomes rather complicated should she ever have a desire or need to, once again, use the U.K. passport to enter Thailand. (Complicated with the Thai immigration police usually requires money to resolve ???? .)

It is also certainly possible (probable) that if she returned using her Thai passport (having not previously exited on her U.K. passport so closing that entry) that the computer system would flag her as being on overstay, and while none of the several bans for overstay can apply to a Thai citizen I would not be the one trying to get that sorted out.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Her Thai PP had expired (not been home for about 7 year) so came in on her UK PP"

Thank you for the answer.  Did she go into the Udon Passport office and obtain a new one while there.  It only took my daughter about 30 minutes inside and then about 5 days later it was mailed to the house in Nong Saeng.  She entered on her expired Thai passport as a Thai National can return on an expired passport, she just had to renew it while here.  Upon return to the US she just showed her US passport.

Thanks for the reply. TBH we thought the process would take a lot longer than you mention above, so decided on this occasion to give it a miss and redo when next in the country and have more time. We also visited Central Mall a few times and went to the government offices there, but this was always packed and with long waiting times. Will definitely take your advice and visit the PP office on the next trip and hope we have similar waiting times. Many thanks