iPhone 8 battery replacement in Chiang mai - cost and where?

TravelerEastWest

Not sure about Chiang mai but if you want authentic apple products you have to go to an apple authorized retailer, I think they have a list on their website, it's actually pretty cheap to get a battery replacement at apple, surprisingly. 

I'd avoid going to one of those cell phone stores that just tosses in some cheap knock off battery that doesn't last long

5 hours ago, dj230 said:

Not sure about Chiang mai but if you want authentic apple products you have to go to an apple authorized retailer, I think they have a list on their website, it's actually pretty cheap to get a battery replacement at apple, surprisingly. 

I'd avoid going to one of those cell phone stores that just tosses in some cheap knock off battery that doesn't last long

A good point I wonder if apple will replace a battery on an old phone...

7 minutes ago, TravelerEastWest said:

A good point I wonder if apple will replace a battery on an old phone...

Apple will replace it, but the cost of a apple battery will cost almost be as much as the iphone 8 is worth.

I replace my kid's iphone 6 battery last week at a small phone shop, 700b.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bbko said:

Apple will replace it, but the cost of a apple battery will cost almost be as much as the iphone 8 is worth.

You are correct.

But I don't think of it that way -instead I wonder what the replacement cost will be?

7 minutes ago, sappersrest said:

Small iphone ipad repair shop at meechok plaza, in the  covered passage way next to Rim ping

Same row of shops as the lady who makes Indian clothes ,good service 1000 baht for Ipad battery.

Thank you.

I shop at Rimping so the next time I go I can visit that store. They used to have a watch repair place there maybe same shop?

The shop you are looking for is up the stairs not on the ground floor. He just worked on a Samsung tablet for me and it cost one tenth of what I was quoted by Samsung. And he kept in touch with me about progress. 

• Like 1

You can buy a new (rather than reconditioned) genuine iPhone battery online. They generally come with a small set of the tools needed to change the battery yourself. There are plenty of videos with step-by-step instructions on Youtube. It looks a bit daunting at first glance, but doesn't take more than about 15 minutes to actually do it yourself.

• Like 1

Look for Apple iCare shop in a main shopping Mall. Or Google to locate one in your area

You will get a genuine replacement battery & 3 months guarantee 

I have i phone 6s and in Bangkok area was charged 1600 bt and very happy with it

Really depends on how much you want to spend and how long you plan to keep your i phone

6 hours ago, TravelerEastWest said:

You are correct.

But I don't think of it that way -instead I wonder what the replacement cost will be?

probably $50-$75 for iPhones from apple (newer ones like iPhone 12 max is closer to $75, older phones closer to $50), those are the prices from canada (in USD)

It must be cheaper or the same in Thailand but can't confirm.

I found this which says 1600 baht but I can't read Thai 

https://support.apple.com/th-th/iphone/repair/service/battery-power

Edited by dj230

10 hours ago, bbko said:

You'd be surprised how cheap apple charges for their batteries, and they're authentic, those tiny phone shops using cheap batteries are going to need to be replaced again in a year, might explode, or not hold a good charge. With phones being essential these days, I don't know why one would want to save a couple bucks on it with the risks.

Edited by dj230

15 hours ago, dj230 said:

You'd be surprised how cheap apple charges for their batteries, and they're authentic, those tiny phone shops using cheap batteries are going to need to be replaced again in a year, might explode, or not hold a good charge. With phones being essential these days, I don't know why one would want to save a couple bucks on it with the risks.

Not always the case. 3 years ago I bought a screen and battery for an iphone6s off of shopee and changed them myself - still good today.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, dj230 said:

When I tried to have my iPhone battery changed by Apple Care in Airport Plaza a few years ago, they wanted 3,000 Baht and it would take a week because they were so busy. I ordered a new (not reconditioned) battery online from a battery company for $27. It came with a small set of tools and step-by-step instructions for replacing it. Between their instructions, and some YouTube videos, it took me less than 20 minutes to do it myself. It's not rocket science; it's just 3-4 screws and plugs. Still working fine today, and holds a charge as well as it did when new. No risk involved.

• Like 1

This thread is becoming very interesting.

I am giving serious thought to trying to do this myself. I am not a technician but I can replace a toner cartridge in a laser printer - is the complexity about that level?

I will do a Google search...

If I can do this saving money would be good but the feeling of accomplishment will be even better! Note - I am not technical so this will be great for me... smiling!

Many thanks for the idea!

2 minutes ago, TravelerEastWest said:

I am not a technician but I can replace a toner cartridge in a laser printer - is the complexity about that level?

No, because the toner cartridge is made to be replaced by the user. The battery in an iPhone isn't supposed to be replaced by a user.

It's not a super difficult process, but you should have the right tools and there is a chance that you damage something, so better let a shop do this, especially because it won't cost much here in Thailand.

13 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

No, because the toner cartridge is made to be replaced by the user. The battery in an iPhone isn't supposed to be replaced by a user.

It's not a super difficult process, but you should have the right tools and there is a chance that you damage something, so better let a shop do this, especially because it won't cost much here in Thailand.

Thank you! I agree with you...

I will go to a small friendly shop that can do it while I wait. Waiting a week and two trips is expensive for me as I am busy with family life and work...

2 hours ago, TravelerEastWest said:

Thank you! I agree with you...

I will go to a small friendly shop that can do it while I wait. Waiting a week and two trips is expensive for me as I am busy with family life and work...

The small shops will sell you a reconditioned battery. Better to buy a brand one online from a battery supply store, THEN have one of the small shops do the replacement for you if you don't want to do it yourself. Get the best of both worlds, although doing it yourself is rewarding in and of itself.

Edited by FolkGuitar