Penang Tourist Visa Run

Last week I went on a visa run to Penang for a new tourist Visa.I have 2 previous tourist visas both from the embassy in Los angeles. When I picked up my passport they had stamped my new tourist visa REMARK: THE HOLDER OF THIS PASSPORT TRAVELS TO THAILAND UNDER A TOURIST VISA SEVERAL TIMES WHICH MAY RESULT IN THE REFUSAL OF A VISA IN THE FUTURE. Pretty Vague??? May??? Is there a limit to the number of tourist visas one can get??? Anyone else have this experience or I am I just that unlucky??? :o

We have not had reports that I recall of anyone being refused a tourist visa; but by the same token do not believe many would return to the same Consulate that entered such a stamp. I would try another country next time.

That's wery strange , it should not be limits of the amount of tourist visas. The remarks in the passport are always the unpleasant thing ,and so in the extreme case you ask for a new passport.

Edited by astor

Looks like you were just unlucky. I'm in Penang now and I've just picked up my passport complete with new Tourist Visa and no comments. Been in Thailand for 15 months with a triple entry TV, single entry TV and 3 x 30 day visa exempts. I'm British and 49 years old tomorrow (don't bother with presents folks - just send money).

Did you use an agent or go to the consulate yourself?

I still would like to know the age of the OP and nationality

***I see now that the OP is a 32 y/o american. The only thing I can think of is that they may suspect that persons below a certain age are working illegally and thus wish to deter defacto residency using tourist visas. I am speculating on this. if in fact they have begun such profiling then whether an agent is used or not should be irrelevant I would think

Edited by Fred Sanford

wondering this myself.

Im off to Penang shortly and will be using an agent. It will be my 3rd TV. Will let you know if I have similar marked. Hope not!

wondering this myself.

Im off to Penang shortly and will be using an agent. It will be my 3rd TV. Will let you know if I have similar marked. Hope not!

The reason I was asking about the agent is that in my case the agent (Malibu Bar on Chulia st) had me only enter my address and then sign the application form and entered the rest of the details himself. I was dubious but went along with it and everything worked out ok. In the OPs case maybe the agent wasn't too careful about what was entered on the form - in the 'reason for visiting Thailand' question for instance.

cmon 8ball not a troll, im not making it up!!! I used an agent... Brijoy travel on soi buchaou... Then some guy jd or something like that took my passport to embassy returned next day... When i asked the guy in penang what it meant he said they want see I have money in thailand??? Still very vague as there are not requirement s for money on TV... Ill be going back to the states in September and reckon ll try to get an "O" from houston if not try get another Tourist Visa and do 3 border runs... Just take it as it comes I suppose!!!

I smell a troll, this guy is trying to stir the pot, until i see the page scanned i reckon its bSh1t.

:o

My thoughts exactly.

It was additionally strange that he should get a stamp considering his previous TV were from the US.

I don't believe the age is a problem. My GF is 19 and hasn't had a problem yet in Penang.

cmon 8ball not a troll, im not making it up!!! I used an agent... Brijoy travel on soi buchaou... Then some guy jd or something like that took my passport to embassy returned next day... When i asked the guy in penang what it meant he said they want see I have money in thailand??? Still very vague as there are not requirement s for money on TV... Ill be going back to the states in September and reckon ll try to get an "O" from houston if not try get another Tourist Visa and do 3 border runs... Just take it as it comes I suppose!!!

Brijoy are new at getting tourist visas from Penang. Last year they were questioning me about the procedure when they found that I had booked to go there (August 06) with another visa agent in Pattaya. Maybe their agent is not up to speed, or trying to muscle into the market and treading on someone's toes....lot's of maybes.

AZwanderer, please get to a scanner and show us this stamp on your Penang issued TV. It is very important to a lot of us to find out what is happening in Penang.

Just got back from Penang a few hours ago with my new TV. Used an agent with no problems and nothing unusual stamped on it.

I'm calling troll on this one.

3 days, and no word from the newbie poster.

The moderators should consider removing this post as it cannot be substantiated as true, and the OP has made no effort to do so.

It serves no purpose on this forum to dispell incorrect, and unduly worrisome information about such an important topic.

Hard evidence is required here.

actually that stamp has been seen in a few places now

So why has no-one managed to scan and post it?????

I thought there had been posted scans from Singapore and Laos (I could VERY well be wrong .. will endeavor to search tmw)

I thought there had been posted scans from Singapore and Laos (I could VERY well be wrong .. will endeavor to search tmw)

We've heard about these stamps being given in Laos and Singapore and it's accepted that they do exist, but never has anyone reported such a stamp from Penang except in this newbies report here who conveniently doesn't have a scanner to prove it.

Edited by tropo

We've heard about these stamps being given in Laos and Singapore and it's accepted that they do exist, but never has anyone reported such a stamp from Penang except in this newbies report here who conveniently doesn't have a scanner to prove it.

Thanks! ... I thought I was loosing it for a minute when asked by a mod about it!

Last week I went on a visa run to Penang for a new tourist Visa.I have 2 previous tourist visas both from the embassy in Los angeles. When I picked up my passport they had stamped my new tourist visa REMARK: THE HOLDER OF THIS PASSPORT TRAVELS TO THAILAND UNDER A TOURIST VISA SEVERAL TIMES WHICH MAY RESULT IN THE REFUSAL OF A VISA IN THE FUTURE. Pretty Vague??? May??? Is there a limit to the number of tourist visas one can get??? Anyone else have this experience or I am I just that unlucky??? :D

Back in 1979 to 1980 I spent two consecutive years living in BKK, mostly on 60 and 90 day visas/with extension. I was making visa runs to Penang about every 90 days. made 4 runs, and on the fifith run I was told specifically that I had too many visas, and the 5th run would be my last run. No further visas/extentions would be allowed.

As it happened I was offered a job outside Thailand during that 5th visa. I left Thailand to work, and when I did return later, I had no problem getting back in. (after 6 months outside thw country working).

So it is possible.

:D

Back in 1979 to 1980 I spent two consecutive years living in BKK, mostly on 60 and 90 day visas/with extension. I was making visa runs to Penang about every 90 days. made 4 runs, and on the fifith run I was told specifically that I had too many visas, and the 5th run would be my last run. No further visas/extentions would be allowed.

As it happened I was offered a job outside Thailand during that 5th visa. I left Thailand to work, and when I did return later, I had no problem getting back in. (after 6 months outside thw country working).

So it is possible.

:D

That was a long time ago, but did you get a stamp in your passport on that occasion?

Why the hel_l would I make it up??? And how??? U can remove it if u like... But, I ll say again I used Brijoy travel on Soi buachao, flew up to penang on the early morning fligth... Guy picked me up went to his office signed the form and gave him my passport... Checked into hotel, next day he picked me up and above my new TV was the stamp in red, flew back with no problem at airport... Not big stamp mind you but there nonetheless... Also, it says may be denied not willbe denied... There is alot of wiggle room with that word... Im traveling back to the states in September and sure I wont have a problem... I guess im the only one who has received it in Penang so forget I posted it... Was only curious if anyone else was as unlucky as I...

thats really unlucky AZ. Maybe was something to do with the agent you used? Anyway, tough call. =/

so AZ has three continuous tourist visas in his passport now, two from the states, one from penang? as far as i know there is no rule yet on how many continuous tourist visas you may get, so in theory unlimited (provided you don't apply at the same embassy all the time).

earlier this year on a visarun to vientiane, however, i picked up the rumour that only TWO continuous tourist visas were allowed, then ok to get visa exemption again for up to ninety days if you like before applying for a new TV. doesn't make sense to me, visa exemption is free = no income for thailand. then again, about a month ago or so a friend of mine who lives in nongkhai and meets many visarunners up there rang me to say that the situation had now somehow "relaxed": as many continuous TVs as you like in vientiane?? would not really trust that however.

best way out seems to be: two TVs from different embassies, then between one and three border runs/ visa exemptions and start it all again ...