Who has a UK stocks and shares ISA?

I'm moving permanently to Thailand later this year and have been trying to get a straight answer out of my ISA provider (Halifax) if i can still access and operate it from Thailand.

They say i can keep it but can't put in new funds or reinvest proceeds from sales, which is all fine and matches what HMRC say. However they say i might not even be able to physically log in and wont answer my question about being able to make a sale transaction from Thailand.

If anyone has a Halifax stocks and shares ISA and actively logs in i would greatly appreciate any feedback of your experience. Just need to know if i need to change provider before i move.

Cheers 

20 minutes ago, EscapetheUK said:

They say i can keep it but can't put in new funds or reinvest proceeds from sales, which is all fine and matches what HMRC say.

Please show where it says you cannot reinvest proceeds inside your ISA as that is not something I was aware of and if so am guilty.........:unsure:

Did they say why you may not be able to log in? Use a VPN and they should not be able to tell......

If you can keep an address in the UK for correspondence and not tell them you are moving I would do so irrespective of HMRC advice - just don't add any new money. 

• Like 1

@topt i read online that you aren't able to reinvest proceeds from sale transactions a while back but now i'm trying to find it again i can't - hopefully i imagined it!

Halifax wouldn't specify a reason why i wouldn't be able to log in they just said they couldn't guarantee it and i wouldn't be able to trade - i felt like they we're trying to discourage me from keeping the account. So using a VPN should negate this issue anyway right?

I will be keeping a UK address but felt i had to tell them about moving as i didn't want them closing the account. Would they not find out anyway if i inform HMRC about moving?

It sounds like you're actively trading using your stocks and shares ISA from Thailand, can i ask if you've had any problems with your provider, access or otherwise?

I went paperless for statements with my bank and share acts, have the same accounts as you have mentioned with Halifax, funded through my BOS act, and have no problems, accessing, funding and withdrawls. 

15 hours ago, EscapetheUK said:

I will be keeping a UK address but felt i had to tell them about moving as i didn't want them closing the account. Would they not find out anyway if i inform HMRC about moving?

No. I am non registered for tax with HMRC and they send my tax return here to Thailand.

15 hours ago, EscapetheUK said:

It sounds like you're actively trading using your stocks and shares ISA from Thailand, can i ask if you've had any problems with your provider, access or otherwise?

Originally I told HL as I had a SIPP as well and never had an issue but they still have my UK address although everything is now online.

I have never informed II and a couple of years ago I noticed they had added a non resident charge in their Charges digest - so I won't be informing them either. 

Just to repeat if you don't try and add any new money once non resident there should be no potential future issues with HMRC.

• Like 1