ATTENTION Transfer visa to new passport

If you have not been informed about that and actually I did not find it online, when you transfer your visa (retirement and probably marriage) to a new passport, the immigration website telles you to bring only copies of your passports and the certificate from your embassy but actually they want copies of your bank book to check the money is still in your bank account. Also, you are in the same queue as people want to make new visa so expect 2 hours waiting   

Actually it has been so cool to renew my retirement visa for years but that it was a shock to be so complicated to transfer this f*** visa but in the end the immigration officers ladies are quite gentle considering the stress you feel when you go there

When I got my new passport, I didn't go straight to Chaeng Wattana.

I went there 2 months later, when I applied for my new extension of stay... easy-peasy !

NB: the stamp's transfer was free of charge

3 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Not in my reality

I got a new passport on a visit to the UK in late 2019. On return to Thailand showed both passports and entry stamp put in new passport (to date of expiry of extension). Went to Chaeng Wattana and was out within 30 minutes with extension of stay and visa transferred. As the new passport was issued overseas and entered on it (showing both passports and visa/extension/re-entry permit) did not need embassy letter. Was very easy. Same for transfer of multiple re-entry permit to new passport. No hassle at all and no bank book asked for. Maybe things changed since then?

• Like 1

As always, different office and different rules.

did it a few months ago, was free, no bank book nonsense.

Just embassy letter.

20 minutes all done. Nongkhai..

Good job. :thumbsup:

Edited by Orinoco

In Hua Hin, old passport and new  passport. no other documents as far as I recall (12 months is a long time to my grey matter), anyway certainly no need to pay anything at all, for new certificates, money to IO, nothing. 

Edited by Speedhump
Speeling and grammer
  • Like 1

On 6/3/2022 at 2:07 AM, soi3eddie said:

I got a new passport on a visit to the UK in late 2019. On return to Thailand showed both passports and entry stamp put in new passport (to date of expiry of extension). Went to Chaeng Wattana and was out within 30 minutes with extension of stay and visa transferred. As the new passport was issued overseas and entered on it (showing both passports and visa/extension/re-entry permit) did not need embassy letter. Was very easy. Same for transfer of multiple re-entry permit to new passport. No hassle at all and no bank book asked for. Maybe things changed since then?

If you apply to renew here in Thailand, passports are issued from the IPS in Liverpool.

The last time I renewed the IO transferred the stamps over without any problem.

I'll be renewing again this year after my latest extension due to only having a couple of pages left.

If there are any updates I'll post.

My friendly office at present I think they only have a handful of farangs local since the pandemic  did transfer free in about 5m.

Like all such matters I always try to arrive first. I do realize other offices may differ .

Chiang Saen office has free tea coffee, hot or cold water, clean western bathrooms and smiling efficient staff. It is good to remember the counter staff do not make the rules .

As smooth as silk, a great improvement since old days in Bangkok an some other provinces.