Parliament Orders Sober-zones

george

Alcohol to be banned at temples,schools

BANGKOK: -- An ad-hoc committee in the National Legislative Assembly (NLA) yesterday approved the Alcohol Control Bill's clause to outlaw the promotion of alcohol sales.

The committee was assigned to vet the bill before it goes for a second reading by the NLA.

Spokesman Tuang Antachai said the committee agreed the bill should ban manufacturers from offering discounts, freebies, samples and the right to join a lucky draw.

"We have also added another clause that alcohol must not be sold as a bundle of various products," Tuang said.

He said the committee approved a clause in the bill banning alcohol being drunk in temples, hospitals, medical-service facilities and pharmacies - except in places designated as "personal areas".

The clause will prohibit alcohol being drunk in government and educational compounds too, with limited exceptions such as for parties or cocktail-making classes.

However, Tuang said the committee was divided about a clause that comprehensively bans alcohol advertising, including brand displays.

"We have established a panel to look into this issue and explore some alternatives," he said.

In a related development, the Excise Department was preparing a plan to raise the cigarette-tax ceiling from 80 per cent to 99 per cent. Cigarettes are currently subject to 79-per-cent rate of tax.

"Within the next one or two weeks, we should be able to conclude the plan in detail.

"After that, we will forward it to the Cabinet," Deputy Finance Minister Sommai Phasee said.

The plan drew complaints from cigarette selle

--The Nation 2007-06-19

Surprisingly sober statement from this crowd for a change. As someone opposed very strongly to the drink curfew times I think these rules are not too harsh. I mean, how many pharmacies in western countries will sell you cold beers and homemade moonshine or cheap rice whiskey in used soft drinks bottles. Want cigarettes ? No problem we sell right beside the cough medicine and paracetamon LOL !

As for the hospital thing that will be a bad thing for the serious Alky !! I remember having a stint in a hospital in BKK for a few days and sneaking down to the restaurant area for a plate of kow pad gai (and a couple 'o large Sing's) :D If my nurse found out she would have put me across her knee and spanked me...I mean been angry :o

Anyway who knows, or cares, but I do agree on the smoking tax thing. Those things will kill you man !

:D

Parliament orders sober-zones

The National Legislative Assembly has suddenly proposed a total ban on drinking alcohol at temples, hospitals, places of medical services, drug stores, public offices and educational institutions - to be expanded later.

Spokesman Tuang Anthacha of the ad-hoc NLA committee which passed the proposal said the selective ban could be expanded at any time by "relevant ministers" or by a new Alcohol Control Policy Committee ordered by the new law.

The Post Publishing Public Co

If this law ever comes into force, I will find 7 locations within Bangkok flagrantly breaking the law within 24 hours. Similarly I could find 7 locations today selling alcohol illegally outside the permitted hours within 1 hour certainly. Then I'd have to drink all the beer I had bought. :o

I don't have a problem with some of these laws, but I do have a problem with the exceptions. I mean, if they want temples to be dry areas, then make them dry--not dry except for "personal areas" whatever that means.

Exceptions make for violations.

The other issue they need to take into account is enforcability. Sometimes they make laws which really can't be enforced and this makes for further issues with the police and more chances for "tea money."

Alcohol to be banned at temples,schools

BANGKOK: -- An ad-hoc committee in the National Legislative Assembly (NLA) yesterday approved the Alcohol Control Bill's clause to outlaw the promotion of alcohol sales.

The committee was assigned to vet the bill before it goes for a second reading by the NLA.

Spokesman Tuang Antachai said the committee agreed the bill should ban manufacturers from offering discounts, freebies, samples and the right to join a lucky draw.

"We have also added another clause that alcohol must not be sold as a bundle of various products," Tuang said.

He said the committee approved a clause in the bill banning alcohol being drunk in temples, hospitals, medical-service facilities and pharmacies - except in places designated as "personal areas".

The clause will prohibit alcohol being drunk in government and educational compounds too, with limited exceptions such as for parties or cocktail-making classes.

However, Tuang said the committee was divided about a clause that comprehensively bans alcohol advertising, including brand displays.

"We have established a panel to look into this issue and explore some alternatives," he said.

In a related development, the Excise Department was preparing a plan to raise the cigarette-tax ceiling from 80 per cent to 99 per cent. Cigarettes are currently subject to 79-per-cent rate of tax.

"Within the next one or two weeks, we should be able to conclude the plan in detail.

"After that, we will forward it to the Cabinet," Deputy Finance Minister Sommai Phasee said.

The plan drew complaints from cigarette selle

--The Nation 2007-06-19

I strongly feel its the ban on advertising that will do more harm if this is rushed through, not only to bars hotels clubs etc, but to the thai people in general that work in the advertising trade etc the thailand wine industry thats in its infancy that will be the hardest hit and probobly go down with a few farmers etc!

the pretty girls in hieniken green dress's will go and a bar getting caught with a chang pen can be fined 100,000 bhat and 1 year monkey house which they say is fitting, will leave many open to pay even more under the table and not solve the one thing it was supposed to do and that is stopping underage thai lads from getting mow in gangs!

Another decisive and impressive action from the NLA.... Congratulations to them.

Okay now, let's get serious : what about FBA 2, Retail Act and other big pieces of real legislative work ?

I guess a few more drinks could help them to go leo leo. :o

Edited by cclub75

So far they've stated the blindingly obvious, places where drinking wouldn't even enter the heads of most sensible people. "To be expanded later" is a curious one. They get these regs through on the obvious without opposition and extend the bans as it suits them later with no public debate.

Hmmmm <_<

The National Legislative Assembly has suddenly proposed a total ban on drinking alcohol at temples, hospitals, places of medical services, drug stores, public offices and educational institutions - to be expanded later.

Spokesman Tuang Anthacha of the ad-hoc NLA committee which passed the proposal said the selective ban could be expanded at any time by "relevant ministers" or by a new Alcohol Control Policy Committee ordered by the new law.

The ban will also include Thai Visa from tonight 10pm ! :o

The ban will also include Thai Visa from tonight 10pm ! :o about being sober, ofcourse :D

Booze ban bill could be extended

Tuesday, 19 June 2007

A blanket ban on drinking alcohol at Thailand's temples, hospitals, drug stores, public offices and educational institutions has been recommended by The National Legislative Assembly (NLA).

Spokesman Tuang Anthacha of the NLA said the selective ban could be expanded at any time by "relevant ministers" or by a newly formed Alcohol Control Policy Committee.

The controversial bill would also raise the minimum age for buying alcohol from 18 to 20 if it becomes law.

www.bangkokrecorder.com

The ban will also include Thai Visa from tonight 10pm ! :o

It's not actually a compete ban after 10PM. It's a ban against drinking and posting on the forum before 11AM, and 2-5PM, and after 12AM.

The ban will also include Thai Visa from tonight 10pm ! :D

It's not actually a compete ban after 10PM. It's a ban against drinking and posting on the forum before 11AM, and 2-5PM, and after 12AM.

I'm screwed!! :o:D:D

edited because I have to.

Edited by Head Snake

"The clause will prohibit alcohol being drunk in government and educational compounds too, with limited exceptions such as for parties or cocktail-making classes."

What Thai government agency has scheduled cocktail-making classes? Something tells me they are mostly informal classes.........

"Khun Yai !!! Oh, we were just having a cocktail-making class here! Studying for mid-terms!"

:o

kenk3z

These reported "proposals" cause a great deal of suffering amongst the farang population. No doubt, the rumour mill is in full force and groups of farang are already hearing "did you hear what happened?". Whether it's the education level or the alcohol level in the blood of most farangs we don't know. What we do know is that they have a very tough time differentiating between a proposal poorly reported by some crackpot journalist writing in a small cubicle late and night against a deadline and reality.