Strong summer for Thailand hotels: SiteMinder

webfact

image.jpeg

Koh Samui has the highest booking increase, receiving over 125 per cent of 2019 volumes

By TTG Asia

Hotels in Thailand are seeing the highest volume of bookings since February 2020, noted SiteMinder, with properties in Koh Samui leading in performance.

Data shows hotels are receiving 85 per cent of bookings recorded in June of 2019, confirming the stability of the domestic market and the return of international guests.

Koh Samui leads with the highest booking improvement. It received over 125 per cent of 2019 volumes, more than double the booking numbers seen in early-March this year.

Phuket follows next with 90 per cent of 2019 volume in the same period. In third place is Hua Hin, with 86 per cent of 2019 volume.

Full story: https://www.ttgasia.com/2022/06/10/strong-summer-for-thailand-hotels-siteminder/

ttgasia-logo.png
-- © Copyright TTG ASIA 2022-06-11

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Easiest way to own or rent a car in Thailand - click here to find out more!

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

So, its up 125% on 2019 bookings , pre pandemic ? Don't believe it in the slightest ! BUT if they are talking about it being up 125% from March this year then that is probably true as they were just dribbling in then !

Exactly - I was in Samui in March and it was like a ghost town/zombie apocalypse in Chaweng.

RAZZ

37 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

So, its up 125% on 2019 bookings , pre pandemic ? Don't believe it in the slightest ! BUT if they are talking about it being up 125% from March this year then that is probably true as they were just dribbling in then !

Exactly, I call malarkey on the self serving, and self advertising written OP.

48 minutes ago, webfact said:

Data shows hotels are receiving 85 per cent of bookings recorded in June of 2019, confirming the stability of the domestic market and the return of international guest

Bookings are not actual filled hotels, and people cancel all of the time.

I was looking for a hotel in Kachanaburi 3 weeks ago online and was told there were no bookings available for my dates.  Called the hotel directly and was told they had rooms. Checked in to find they had 10% occupancy....someone's lying about stats I do believe.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

I think that it it just a poorly written article.

They seem to be comparing June 2022 with June 2019 but omitted the month in further comments. (Traditionally, June has been low season on Samui.)

Samui hotels have been in dire straights during Covid, but numbers this year, since April, have seen a large improvement.

Certainly lots of guests in villas and more traffic around (unfortunately).

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Many I know are more put off by flight prices. 

With inflation some flights have almost doubled in price.  Just checked on a RT to the US and back went from 109k Thb to 172k Thb. Of course thats Delta One seating, but still that is .........ridiculous. flight was to the US in October with a return her in November. Guess they are pricing high season.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

With inflation some flights have almost doubled in price.  Just checked on a RT to the US and back went from 109k Thb to 172k Thb. Of course thats Delta One seating, but still that is .........ridiculous. flight was to the US in October with a return her in November. Guess they are pricing high season.

That’s not the high season pricing, this is gonna be the new default with even higher ones potentially coming.

Inflation and economic problems are not even done warming up yet, it played right before covid already.

Not sure why so many tourism operators are ignorant and clueless about that.

Like at least 1/3rd of all western people, often not the richest and also thailand visitors, are affected big time by inflation and energy costs, and its not at the peak yet.

They likely do cheaper nearby holidays for the next years or none at all. Or they pick Vietnam as its 1/4th of the costs with many things (this was prior covid already too, the insane khao san busy feeling etc).

Edited by ChaiyaTH

1 minute ago, ChaiyaTH said:

That’s not the high season pricing, this is gonna be the new default with even higher ones potentially coming.

Inflation and economic problems are not even done warming up yet, it played right before covid already.

Not sure why so many tourism operators are ignorant and clueless about that.

Like at least 1/3rd of all western people, often not the richest and also thailand visitors, are affected big time by inflation and energy costs, and its not at the peak yet.

They likely do cheaper nearby holidays for the next years or none at all. 

My sister and her family just flew to Hawaii, instead if staying at a hotel they are staying with my daughters in-laws who are also acting as tour guides. They used miles for the flights and will be there 10 days. Shopping at true farmers markets as well just like we have.  They get to buy some of the same fruit we have which is different for them.....

received_620279842989941.jpeg

received_753655799162903.jpeg