Gallbladder operation

ezzra

Just to prepare and gather information for a possible Gallbladder operation in Bkk as i'm told i might need one in the

near future, anyone with experience and recommendations, costs and best hospital to have it, Thank you..

• Like 1

I spent two years with discomfort and trying to avoid the surgery.  Taking herbs and natural medicine.  The Doctor insisted that nothing would prevent me from going through the surgery…He was right.  

One night, after dinner I felt a horrible stabbing pain that I couldn't bear.  Wife in panic called an ambulance and… directly to operating table.  There was the same doctor waiting for me with a smile and a phrase;

- I told you! ????

Currently with the technique of general anesthesia and lampharoscopy it is simple, no risk and easy.  

After the operation, 24 hours later I was back home and happy.  You will have to take care of your diet... less fat and more fruits and vegetables.  

Regarding the cost: Bangkok Hospital is expensive but excellent (about 200,000.-) But Thanks to the Insurance, Cost for me was 0.- Baht. I don’t remember well but Public Hospital the budget was about 65.000.

It is always nice to see yourself for a few days surrounded by beautiful nurses taking care of you and knowing that everything will be fine.

Go for it, you will feel like a man with a new body. ✌️

Edited by Tarteso
  • Like 2

I went to see a doctor about something else completely different and when they did an ultra-sound, they also discovered gall-stones.

The doctor said that the gall-stones could be removed, but eventually they would come back. He recommended removal of the gall-bladder using keyhole surgery.

All went well and I only stayed in hospital for 24 hours after the surgery.

I got the same advice as tarteso, eat less fat and more veggies.

The body still makes bile.

Can't give any recommendations on hospitals as I live elsewhere in Thailand.

Edited by KarenBravo
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

10 years back I had the same advice, after a gallbladder infection and 2 nights in hospital on IV. I started exercising more and eating less, lost a lot of weight, and I've had no further problems.

No surgery.

Right..Depending on their size and whether the stones are made up of cholesterol and not bile pigments.  Actigall (ursodiol) is a drug that can dissolve the gallstone, it can take months or even years to disappear... Or not.

Wife had done at Vejthani 3 years ago - one night ICU - cost 205k.  FYI cut off age for non emergency was set at 80.  Will add wife had no issues or pain and is very sensitive to such.

Edited by lopburi3

Any hospital is fine for this and any general surgeon can do it but only some can do the laparoscopic approach.

Cost depends on hospital and whether open vs laparoscopic approach. Laparoscopic is easier on the patient but costs significantly more.

Regarding asymptomatic gallstones, surgery vs expectant management very much depends on size

• Like 1

I had the operation last year in San Paulo Hospital,Hua Hin. I spent years ignoring the discomfort, pain, tiredness, until one day the Wife nagged me enough to go to the hospital. They did an ultrasound and the nurse just said "A lot of stones".

The Doctor told me the bladder was inflamed and warned about blood poisoning should it rupture.

That was at 1.30 in the afternoon. At 6 p.m. I was in the pre med room ready for the op. They removed the gall bladder, which contained 3 malteser sized, and about 25 tic tac mints of gall stones. Unfortunately, it was necrosed, and I contracted E-Coli. It also affected a portion of my lung leaving me a little breathless sometimes, even a year later. I was in ICU for five days, and have a 7 inch scar as a memory.

Total cost was 360,000. Insurance would not pay as it was deemed to be a pre existing condition of high cholesterol.

Having told you all that, If I had the time again I would not hesitate, and would have gone to see the Doctor a long time ago. As Sheryl points out it is a routine operation. As for losing weight, I am still trying, but will not give up.............

Go for it before it becomes too serious, and I wish you all the very best.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

The doctor said that the gall-stones could be removed, but eventually they would come back.

I was watching a video about this the other day, the Dr said to avoid the op, but you have to change your diet otherwise they will come back

15 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

and have a 7 inch scar as a memory.

Remember if doing the laparoscopic procedure there will only be 3 or 4 cuts of less than an inch and can be covered with a Band-Aid/plaster.

2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Remember if doing the laparoscopic procedure there will only be 3 or 4 cuts of less than an inch and can be covered with a Band-Aid/plaster.

I had a single incision of half an inch that bisected my belly-button.

You heal a lot quicker and the chances of infection are a lot less than the open type surgery.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

I agree, but unfortunately that procedure was not possible as the gall bladder was seriously inflamed, and swollen. Also it was attached to, or affecting my lung in some way. A consequence of that was contracting E-Coli. I will not go into the treatment on this forum, needless to say I have never felt pain like it in all my life.

That is why I advised the OP to go as soon as possible, do not haver.

@ezzraI had my Gallbladder removed back in February this year. Keyhole surgery was the method at Chiang Rai Government Hospital. Because I had a lot of post-operative pain I spent 3 nights in the hospital voluntarily because of the access to Morphine as nothing else would kill the pain. Total cost was 32,000 Baht and I have had no further problems or pain. Good luck with your pending surgery.

Edited by ImageDude
  • Like 1