cataract surgery

Lancelot01

I'm not quite sure which forum this should be pasted to.

I have been waiting for some time for cataract surgery in UK and I probably have a few months remaining on the waiting list.

Yesterday I was talking with an old friend from Hua Hin who reminded me that Thailand has a pretty good success rate with such procedures.

It got me thinking that I should cinsider having surgery in Thailand. 

I would like to know if any members have had cataract surgery in Thailand and what was the experience, cost and recovery time?

Naturally, there is a cost involved v free in UK however, due to a current accelerated deterioration, I would like to arrange surgery sooner rather than later.

Many thanks.

3 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

Ive recently had cataract surgery at Queen Sirakit excelent ,in out in a morning 35k ,mind you i am a patient there.

That seems incredibly cheap for cataract surgery plus you normally stay one night for observation and a check by the surgeon the next morning.

Sounds more like a Lasik procedure.

3 hours ago, jor said:

That seems incredibly cheap for cataract surgery plus you normally stay one night for observation and a check by the surgeon the next morning.

Its a govt ( army) hospital go first day checkup second day operation ,3rd day take off eye cover. Far far cheaper than private and just as good ,not laSik by the way

Jusr reslized you dont live here you cant use govt hospital.

Edited by bert bloggs

8 hours ago, jor said:

Cataract surgery is usually a day surgery.

At upcountry government hospitals with standard lens implants cost is indeed  about what he said.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2022 at 9:02 PM, Sheryl said:

Cataract surgery is usually a day surgery.

At upcountry government hospitals with standard lens implants cost is indeed  about what he said.

Hi Sheryl

I get my invoice when i pay my bill,its in english and Thai,i notice that it says something about  2 different charges for falangs ,wonder why

1 hour ago, bert bloggs said:

Hi Sheryl

I get my invoice when i pay my bill,its in english and Thai,i notice that it says something about  2 different charges for falangs ,wonder why

Some hospitals have dual pricing systems.

Another thing to factor in (I went through this scenario years back) is that while the NHS wont cost (other than what you've spent a working lifetime paying) they wont do both eyes at one time. So if your cataracts are problematic you have to prepare for 'one eye fixed and one eye not' for the duration of your second - non essential - waiting list duration