Likelihood of refused entry

Hi all, 

I arrived visa exempt November 28th 2021, had 1x1 month extension and 3x2 month covid extensions and left May 31st 2022 to return to the UK. I have bought a flight back to Bangkok for August 16th 2022 and had planned to stay for 3 months. I'm now getting a little concerned about stories of tourists being refused entry having recently spent extended periods of time in Thailand on tourist visas and extensions. Should I be worried? I presumed that provided I apply for a 60 day tourist visa in advance, and come armed with bank statements, proof of accommodation and proof of onward travel, I would be fine. Now, however, I am second guessing it. I also do not plan on booking a return flight to the UK, rather I would book a flight to a neighbouring country and continue travelling in SE Asia after Thailand - I'm wondering whether, if refused at the Thai border, they would let me fly to Vietnam etc. or if they would force me to go back to the UK, either on the airline I entered with, or the next available, with me having to foot the ticket. 

As a side note, in an ideal world I would like to stay in Thailand for (another) 6 months or so, using it as a base to travel around SE Asia. Is anyone aware of alternative visas that would achieve this, and also solve the above dilemma? I was thinking maybe of a 6 month ED visa, buying a multiple re-entry permit once in Thailand. 

Many thanks in advance.

The recent reports of denial were those that left the country and then returned visa exempt to get a new entry.

If you get a tourist visa before returning to Thailand you should not have a a problem since you will be out of the country for some time.

You might want to consider getting a multiple entry tourist visa (METV) that allows unlimited 60 day entries for 6 months from the day it is issued.

1 hour ago, ozzy43 said:

I was thinking maybe of a 6 month ED visa, buying a multiple re-entry permit once in Thailand. 

An ED visa isn't really suitable for touring the region, as immigration would question how a full-time student can find the time to travel that much. Also, those 6 months are split into two parts (the initial ED visa, permitting a 90 days stay, plus an extension for another 90 days), so at the very least, you'd need to be present for the extension and obtain another re-entry permit after receiving the extension. 

That really would be a recipe for trouble. As @ubonjoewrote, consider getting a METV instead. 

If you have a visa (any visa) immigration officials are not supposed to deny you entry except pursuant to specific reasons specified in Section 12 of the Immigration Act. Unfortunately, in recent years, officials at some entry points have been known to give themselves powers they do not possess under the law to refuse to honour your visa. In your case, if entering with a tourist visa, I think you will almost certainly be OK. Based on the past, you would definitely be OK if entering at almost all land crossings (the main exception is Poipet/Aranyaprathet) or at Chiang Mai airport.

If you are judged an inadmissible person by immigration at an airport, the airline that brought you into Thailand is responsible for your removal (even, as is often the case, the airline is totally blameless). By default, they will tend to return you to your embarkation airport. However, this is often negotiable between you and the airline representative if they will agree to engage with you. What you cannot do is use a flight on another airline to leave the airport where you have been denied entry. You must under virtually all circumstances leave on a flight of the same airline that transported you to Thailand.

• Thanks 1