Dog with low blood platelets

SammyJ

Hello, 

Has anyone had a good experience working with a Chiang Mai vet, or the university vets, related to a dog

found to have low blood platelets.  This is not all uncommon, but can be quite serious, and may be caused by a tick, or other

underlying problems--cancer, leukemia, etc--and there are a variety of things suggested for treatments--so, I am looking for a vet who may have experience or whom someone has used with success.

Thank you for any suggestions

Tick infestation with the Brown Dog Tick (Rhipicephalus sanguineus) is common in Thailand. These can transmit blood parasites - Ehrlichia and Babesia to dogs - but this results in anaemia more than platelet loss.  immune mediated thrombocytopaenia is not uncommon - and has many causes, sometimes no definitive causative factor can be found (idiopathic).  I am not near Chiang Mai - but any larger veterinary clinic/hospital should have the personnel with the knowledge and access to diagnostic procedures to help your dog.  Good luck.

Any good vet should be able to deal with it. The university is fine if you don't mind waiting around (go back the next day if you get a student). Whichever vet you go to, I would ask if a SNAP test would be appropriate.

I don't have a specific experience with dogs, but we use the Nana Animal Hospital for our birds, and I can speak very highly of them. They have a separate section specific for dogs and cats I suppose they could deal with your situation. Hang Dong area, easy to google.

On 6/15/2022 at 10:41 AM, G Rex said:

Tick infestation with the Brown Dog Tick (Rhipicephalus sanguineus) is common in Thailand. These can transmit blood parasites - Ehrlichia and Babesia to dogs - but this results in anaemia more than platelet loss.  immune mediated thrombocytopaenia is not uncommon - and has many causes, sometimes no definitive causative factor can be found (idiopathic).  I am not near Chiang Mai - but any larger veterinary clinic/hospital should have the personnel with the knowledge and access to diagnostic procedures to help your dog.  Good luck.

Thank you

21 hours ago, taotoo said:

Any good vet should be able to deal with it. The university is fine if you don't mind waiting around (go back the next day if you get a student). Whichever vet you go to, I would ask if a SNAP test would be appropriate.

Thank you

21 hours ago, taotoo said:

Any good vet be able to deal with it. The university is fine if you don't mind waiting around (go back the next day if you get a student). Whichever vet you go to, I would ask if a SNAP test would be appropriate.

Thank you

11 hours ago, arithai12 said:

I don't have a specific experience with dogs, but we use the Nana Animal Hospital for our birds, and I can speak very highly of them. They have a separate section specific for dogs and cats I suppose they could deal with your situation. Hang Dong area, easy to google.

Thank you

On 6/15/2022 at 10:28 AM, sappersrest said:

Sansai animal hospital also ask for a real time pcr test as this will indicate how serious or not the problem is.

Thank you--this is what is often recommended--do you recall a particular name of a vet there or the cost of the pcr?

I am not sure about some of the advice you are receiving here.  I am not sure of the relevance of a 'real time PCR test' or SNAP Test. 

If your dog is anaemic , or has a clotting disorder or low platelet count - this will be determined by a Haemogram and Clotting tests.   

I would suggest that you don't go to a Vet Clinic & suggest to the Professional which tests he should perform! Nobody likes to be told how to do their job! 555

Also - suggesting the wrong diagnostic procedures will only make you look like a monkey .

Good luck ????

2 hours ago, SammyJ said:

Thank you--this is what is often recommended--do you recall a particular name of a vet there or the cost of the pcr?

I would check with the CMU Small Animal Hospital before the Sansai Animal Hospital. It's really hit or miss there. They have an odd rotating intern and resident type program there with more than 15 or more doctors that come and go. Most are quite young. I've never seen a senior doctor there. We had one good experience there late one night but never could get the attending doctor again. The rest of the experiences were not good and I would not return.

We had an old GR dog that had been attacked by ticks. We fought hard but her immune system weakened and her blood tests were not good. We eventually lost her as she had a heart problem. If your dog is not too old then you have a chance of fighting.

I can recommend a good vet who we met at CMU SAH many years ago. His name is Dr. Doom and his clinic is called Ohayo Pet Hospital on the road to Mae Rim.

Go to Thonglor Animal Hospital- Outer Ring near Meechok Plaza.  Highly skilled staff and this is in their wheelhouse. When a tumor was removed from our dog 2 months ago, they then referred us to the Small Animal Hospital for further treatment (the tumor was determined to be high grade cancer)- also good. (Our dog is doing well, no sign of cancer spreading)

Edited by jeffandgop

3 hours ago, jeffandgop said:

Go to Thonglor Animal Hospital- Outer Ring near Meechok Plaza.  Highly skilled staff and this is in their wheelhouse. When a tumor was removed from our dog 2 months ago, they then referred us to the Small Animal Hospital for further treatment (the tumor was determined to be high grade cancer)- also good. (Our dog is doing well, no sign of cancer spreading)

Thank you

On 6/16/2022 at 1:21 PM, G Rex said:

I am not sure about some of the advice you are receiving here.  I am not sure of the relevance of a 'real time PCR test' or SNAP Test. 

If your dog is anaemic , or has a clotting disorder or low platelet count - this will be determined by a Haemogram and Clotting tests.   

I would suggest that you don't go to a Vet Clinic & suggest to the Professional which tests he should perform! Nobody likes to be told how to do their job! 555

Also - suggesting the wrong diagnostic procedures will only make you look like a monkey .

Good luck ????

Some of these tests are recommended for low platelets -- I believe, whether it is for one's self or for one's beloved family pet, to be an advocate--to research (reputable websites, and there are many of them), to ask questions, as on here, and to gather information and to use it to inform one of the path forward--to simply go in "uninformed" to a "professional", vet or human doctor, and sit and listen and follow, is not the best path.  Even if one does not offer suggestions as to tests or treatments, if one is informed, then when the doctor is sharing, I could understand better the information being discussed.

Again, I believe firmly in being a strong, informed, advocate for my health and my pet's health--being a passive participant often can lead to poor decisions being made on my behalf.

Suggesting various tests to a doctor is a way to have a valuable discussion, and to learn what the doctor thinks of various tests, the pros and cons of different treatments--there are few who don't have an experience of a dr, whether it be for them, or their pets, who simply has not kept up on new treatments or tests, and simply are not that well qualified--so, when that becomes apparent, move on to a better informed doctor.  And, if any doctor is offended or bothered about a patient asking questions, then that is a huge red flag--most should welcome a positive discussion.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jeffandgop said:

thank you

On 6/16/2022 at 1:49 PM, elektrified said:

I would check with the CMU Small Animal Hospital before the Sansai Animal Hospital. It's really hit or miss there. They have an odd rotating intern and resident type program there with more than 15 or more doctors that come and go. Most are quite young. I've never seen a senior doctor there. We had one good experience there late one night but never could get the attending doctor again. The rest of the experiences were not good and I would not return.

We had an old GR dog that had been attacked by ticks. We fought hard but her immune system weakened and her blood tests were not good. We eventually lost her as she had a heart problem. If your dog is not too old then you have a chance of fighting.

I can recommend a good vet who we met at CMU SAH many years ago. His name is Dr. Doom and his clinic is called Ohayo Pet Hospital on the road to Mae Rim.

Really, Dr. Doom?

drdoom.jpg.c8a64fcb5ade81c84476305451e5e28e.jpg

Sorry, I couldn't resist!

btw, very sorry about your GR dog.

We have had 5 golden retrievers over the years in CM so have experience with various vets…good and bad experiences even with the same vet/hospital…

the university small animal hospital seems to be the best for complex issues but did misdiagnose one time with us…

the hospital on the way to the airport adjacent to McDonald’s had the same experience where they saved one dog with a proper diagnosis and misdiagnosed another leading to her death…

The problem I have found with pet clinics is they diagnose only up to the limit of equipment they have when they should refer out…

just like humans, best to get a 2nd independent opinion either to validate or to question the initial diagnosis….

I use/rotate 2-3 places based on gut feeling and now 20 years of experiences….don’t fall in love with one place.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

We have had 5 golden retrievers over the years in CM so have experience with various vets…good and bad experiences even with the same vet/hospital…

the university small animal hospital seems to be the best for complex issues but did misdiagnose one time with us…

the hospital on the way to the airport adjacent to McDonald’s had the same experience where they saved one dog with a proper diagnosis and misdiagnosed another leading to her death…

The problem I have found with pet clinics is they diagnose only up to the limit of equipment they have when they should refer out…

just like humans, best to get a 2nd independent opinion either to validate or to question the initial diagnosis….

I use/rotate 2-3 places based on gut feeling and now 20 years of experiences….don’t fall in love with one place.

sounds like a good plan--if possible can you share with me a few of the places/vets you have come to trust, or at least use.  Have any of your dogs dealt with the low  blood platelet issue--thanks