Is it worth getting a re-entry permit?

I am looking to go to the UK with family in Sept for the first time in 3 years.

I am currently on a Non "O" Visa based on marriage and get yearly extensions.

My question, is that my current 1 year visa extension ends on 12 Nov 2022. We arrive back from the UK on 10 November, so my "re-entry permit" will be valid for just 2 days before my visa expires. This does not give me much time to get prepared for my yearly visa extension.

If I come back in on a standard tourist "Visa on arrival", I guess I will lose my actual Non "O" Visa? Would I be able to apply and get another Non "O" Visa during that 30 days on a VOA?

Just looking for the easiest way.

Comments?

Without a re-entry permit, all visas and extensions become null and void.

The only way I would leave Thailand without one is if I intend to never come back, an event as likely as me winning the lottery.

Having said that, I don't see a reason to pay for one until I need it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, falang1969 said:

My question, is that my current 1 year visa extension ends on 12 Nov 2022. We arrive back from the UK on 10 November, so my "re-entry permit" will be valid for just 2 days before my visa expires. This does not give me much time to get prepared for my yearly visa extension.

In Chaengwattana, you can renew legally, 45 days before your current extension expires.

I suggest you renew before leaving, if possible.

Edited by DrJoy
  • Thanks 1

I would try to get an extension before you leave, based on not having time when you return.  Go ask Immigration and see if they will allow this.

i did this once, years ago, and I/O (the old soi Suan Plu office)  helped with application.  I had to write a letter to I/O giving reasons why I wanted an early extension.

I think it is always easier to extend a valid Visa that to start again.  You never know how the rules have been changed.

• Like 1

These days, you get a Non O visa in the UK through the eVisa system. It does not involve travelling to the embassy, or sending anything there by post. Unless there is a problem meeting the requirements for the visa, I would normally suggest just starting again. The main exception is if you are working in Thailand, and want to maintain a continuous record with the hope of applying for Thai citizenship.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DrJoy said:

In Chaengwattana, you can renew legally, 45 days before your current extension expires.

I suggest you renew before leaving, if possible.

The problem with that is the 30 day under consideration period he will get when he applies.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, falang1969 said:

So, in that case, it is probably easier to get a re-entry permit and quickly apply for a yearly extension when I get back to Thailand? Probably easier than getting a new Non-O from my home country and starting again?

That's what I would do. Make sure you have all the paperwork up together before you go, and then make it top of your list when you get back. Sitting in an Immigration office with jetlag won't be fun, but it won't kill you.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The problem with that is the 30 day under consideration period he will get when he applies.

Sorry to step in. I will start a new topic if required but my worry is closely linked. The point you have just made has me very concerned. 

My Non Imm O based on marriage extension expires on 30th June. I was going to go to immigration next week to do my new extension and ask for a re-entry permit at the same time as I am flying to the UK on the 4th July for a 3 week holiday. Is it possible to do this as I didn't realise there was a 30 day under consideration time line. Again sorry for interjecting

6 minutes ago, ConnectionNotGuaranteed said:

. Is it possible to do this as I didn't realise there was a 30 day under consideration time line. Again sorry for interjecting

Yes there is an under consideration period for extension based on marriage.

You need to obtain final stamp prior to exit Thailand.

6 minutes ago, ConnectionNotGuaranteed said:

Sorry to step in. I will start a new topic if required but my worry is closely linked. The point you have just made has me very concerned. 

My Non Imm O based on marriage extension expires on 30th June. I was going to go to immigration next week to do my new extension and ask for a re-entry permit at the same time as I am flying to the UK on the 4th July for a 3 week holiday. Is it possible to do this as I didn't realise there was a 30 day under consideration time line. Again sorry for interjecting

You could get a re-entry permit that includes the 30 day under consideration period if the report back date is after you current extension expires. It can depend upon when your local office starts the 30 days since some start it from the day you apply and other from the end of your current extension.

13 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You could get a re-entry permit that includes the 30 day under consideration period if the report back date is after you current extension expires. It can depend upon when your local office starts the 30 days since some start it from the day you apply and other from the end of your current extension.

Thanks Joe. I'll pay a visit to immigration on Monday and ask them for some advice 

39 minutes ago, ConnectionNotGuaranteed said:

I was going to go to immigration next week to do my new extension and ask for a re-entry permit at the same time as I am flying to the UK on the 4th July for a 3 week holiday

Did you consider obtaining a 60 day extension to visit wife.

You could then buy a reentry permit to protect that extension.

After return you could obtain 12 month extension.

16 hours ago, falang1969 said:

So, in that case, it is probably easier to get a re-entry permit and quickly apply for a yearly extension when I get back to Thailand? Probably easier than getting a new Non-O from my home country and starting again?

Bear in mind, if you decide to get an extension when you return, that November 12 is a Saturday. If not of a nervous disposition, this can work in your favor. You are allowed to apply for the extension without penalty on the first working day that follows the weekend (in this case, Monday November 14).

If, as @ubonjoe suggests, you plan on requesting the 60-day extension, make sure you are entitled to one. If you ever used a 60-day extension since your most recent entry that did not use a re-entry permit, then you cannot get another one. That can then, possibly, tip the balance in favor of a fresh Non O visa rather than a re-entry permit. I would personally go for the 90-days on a fresh visa anyway. That would ensure you have the 60-day extension in your pocket for any possible future need. It can be very useful. One possible disadvantage of the new visa through the eVisa system is (IMHO unlikely in the UK) a chance of the visa application being rejected. As far as I can see, the document requirements are not onerous.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bolt said:

I believe its no longer "That easy" to get a 1 year visa outside of LOS

I would get a renewal before you leave and make sure you get an exit entry permit

Who was suggesting trying to get a one-year visa? I thought the visa option being discussed in this thread was for a single entry Non O through the eVisa system. The choice was between a re-entry permit and new visa. After that, the idea is to continue with annual extensions.

6 minutes ago, bolt said:

I believe its no longer "That easy" to get a 1 year visa outside of LOS

I would get a renewal before you leave and make sure you get an exit entry permit

I assume you mean a multiple entry non-o visa that allows unlimited 90 day entries for one year.

Some embassies and official consulate issue them without a problem. There have already been reports of the consulate in Savannakhet Laos doing them.

• Thanks 1

On 6/16/2022 at 7:15 PM, falang1969 said:

you have answered yourself.........

• Confused 1

On 6/16/2022 at 7:03 PM, falang1969 said:

Nov 10 is a Thu, Nov 12 a Sat, IO closed. This means that you can do your extension

on Nov 11, tight but possible. Collect all the forms before you leave.

Frankly, is it so difficult for you to move the return date two days earlier? That would be my first option, though I realize you may have constraints.

Second option, go to your IO (or use an agent as someone said) and plea to have your extension done before you leave.

I guess other suggestions to let your current extension expire and start anew are valid too, just it would be my last resort.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2022 at 5:45 AM, BritTim said:

Bear in mind, if you decide to get an extension when you return, that November 12 is a Saturday. If not of a nervous disposition, this can work in your favor. You are allowed to apply for the extension without penalty on the first working day that follows the weekend (in this case, Monday November 14).

If, as @ubonjoe suggests, you plan on requesting the 60-day extension, make sure you are entitled to one. If you ever used a 60-day extension since your most recent entry that did not use a re-entry permit, then you cannot get another one. That can then, possibly, tip the balance in favor of a fresh Non O visa rather than a re-entry permit. I would personally go for the 90-days on a fresh visa anyway. That would ensure you have the 60-day extension in your pocket for any possible future need. It can be very useful. One possible disadvantage of the new visa through the eVisa system is (IMHO unlikely in the UK) a chance of the visa application being rejected. As far as I can see, the document requirements are not onerous.

I must admit that seems more appealing, I need a new passport anyway (as getting full and only 1 year left), so could get that (cheaper and possibly quicker) in the UK and no need for a re-entry permit. In the UK for 6 weeks so plenty (hopefully) of time.