Beach goers concerned about vendor encroachment, traffic on extended portion of Jomtien Beach

webfact

image.jpeg

PHOTO: Footpath Thai Style

By Goongnang Suksawat

Jomtien, Pattaya, Chonburi – Beach goers are concerned on less free space and vendor encroachment on the newly extended Na Jomtien Beach despite a large warning sign which was placed stating that the usage of the beach is for the public and not vendors and businesses.

The story came to light after a photo of almost no visible space for walking on the beach due to being taken over by seating and vendors was posted on the Facebook Page ‘Footpath Thai Style.’.

This is despite warning signs which were placed by the Na Jomtien Municipality telling people merchants and vendors are forbidden on the new extended Jomtien Beach for personal benefits. The beach is for public use only.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/06/16/beach-goers-concerned-about-vendor-encroachment-traffic-on-extended-portion-of-jomtien-beach/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-06-17

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Easiest way to own or rent a car in Thailand - click here to find out more!

• Sad 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Beach goers are concerned on less free space and vendor encroachment

Sound like someone has turned up from their home country where tile roof and brick construction are a development requirement and see a need to enforce requirements on the beach.

Looks fine to me for "walking".

Even the 1.5 metre spacing is more than adequetly applied.

More than I can say for most in supermarkets.

Edited by bluejets
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, mikebell said:

Never thought I'd see the day when 'Pattaya police' and 'conscientious' would be paired in the same sentence.

You need someone extremely facetious to do that... I qualify!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

vendor encroachment

Ha ha, this was bound to happen. 

Thai's don't obey signs. 

BTW, this extended beach area has now become an unsightly rubbish patch. 

I go past most mornings and litter scattered everywhere. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, LarrySR said:

"the usage of the beach is for the public and not vendors and businesses."

Very unusual that businesses can set up on the public beach & the code enforcement officers haven't noticed. Just sayin, usually they notice.

I drove along there on the night of the 14th...all the vendors were parked up along the length of the road ...not on the beach ....lots of people enjoying cholera carts food and enjoying the new beach.

The businesses were not on the beach.

25 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Shame, that used to be a nice area and a pleasant stroll. An asset to the condo buildings nearby too. 

54 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Ah,  just like all the little Soi's in and around Jomtien.

The very nice dumping grounds for the building trade.

of pattaya.

How disgusting it's become over the last 15 years.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

Ah,  just like all the little Soi's in and around Jomtien.

The very nice dumping grounds for the building trade.

of pattaya.

How disgusting it's become over the last 15 years.

To be fair, City Hall has street sweepers out early every morning but they need to employ more to pick up litter on the new beach front extension. 

13 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

To be fair, City Hall has street sweepers out early every morning but they need to employ more to pick up litter on the new beach front extension. 

Yes but look at the mess left now with the black plastic bins bags bursting open all along the beach road.

Seemed to be ok when all the bins were there.

Funny,  bins went,  and the, refuse collecting started with the guys dressed up as super Mario.

Not progress but graft I think.

Shame they don't clean the Soi's  up.

Edited by Orinoco
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

guys dressed up as super Mario.

They've introduced a new colour. 

Sky blue was standard, now they have lovely new gorgeous pink Super Mario coveralls. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Haha 1

I walked there at sunset, there is a lot of space for everybody to set their camping gear or just put mats or seat on sand.

Looks nice, orderly and clean, with rather upscale vendors on the street. 

I had impression they were paying to municipality for their strictly allocated spots, but now after reading this article they might be paying to cops/mafia.

There are problems - very narrow pavement around only 1m wide, and crowded. Faster is going on the sand just next to pavement.

Parking is along the pavement side of road, all taken by vendors, who set up their shops yet before people come.

From soi 19 to north, where there is large metal lettering "jomtien beach", there are not any vendors at all, so from here people park their cars. From that spot beach is almost empty.

I do suspect that this beach will be washed away by the sea current, unless they come some ideas how to reinforce the edge.

They were already forced to lay down those huge multi-tone sandbags where there is storm water canal. They were carrying their job well into night, as if there was some urgency in finishing it timely.

So far their have failed to re-grow any trees along the road, to give some shade for those walking or seating there during day. Hence place is deserted during day, too hot being here

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LarrySR said:

"the usage of the beach is for the public and not vendors and businesses."

Very unusual that businesses can set up on the public beach & the code enforcement officers haven't noticed. Just sayin, usually they notice.

money money money..turns a blind eye

3 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

So enforce the law... pick ap all chairs, tables and vendors and fine them highly.. problem solved

In the 'real world', you would be absolutely correct. But in the twilight zone where Thailand exists, it won't happen. LOL

• Like 1

Drove along newly extended Na Jomtien beach from southern end till Police Box and trees started and there were a v small nos of beach umbrellas. Presume this must all be crammed up at the Northern end or that we drove on a Wednesday.

On 6/17/2022 at 6:32 AM, ezzra said:

" What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun" All Mafia controlled with the powers that be turning a blind eye for the right payola...

A bible quote always spices things up and on rare occasions even adds a slight scent of authenticity to a comment.

But not this time.

On 6/17/2022 at 7:51 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:

extended beach area has now become an unsightly rubbish patch. 

I go past most mornings and litter scattered everywhere. 

Great news, I rode past this extended beach area this morning and saw a few Thai's cleaning up the litter. 

Not wearing safety vests so it's not City Hall, just people living in the area. 

IMG20220623060432.jpg