Dates Trees & Coffee

Beardog

Does anyone know if the climate in Pattaya or Bang Sare would know if it would be possible to grow Coffee beans or Date trees. It seems like should be able to produce both as the climate is close to southern California for the dates & it is a little cooler with the mountains surrounding in Bang Sare.

I used to live in Maui Hawaii, next to the coffee plantation & it to had similar weather.

Does anyone have any knowledge on growing either in this region.

Thanks

Barry

I looked into growing dates, and met a Thai man near Chaiprakhan who was growing some. I can't remember whether they were Deglet Noors or Medjhools. Anyway, while he seemed happy with his progress, it seemed to me it was far too humid during the ripening period and this resulted in smallish, hard, yellow dates. I know there is a variety of date tree grown in Lao, called the Lao Pygmy or Dwarf Date tree, but it is very slow growing and I don't know if it produces in commercial quantities. It is mostly grown as an ornamental tree from what I gather. If you find a viable date growing operation, please report back.

Yes they do , I used to live near Indio California where most of the U.S. Medjhol Dates come from.

And the dessert is hot & not very humid. I can see why they are not grown commercially here.That & the fact that they are too sweet for most Thai pallets & pretty expensive for Farangs.

Does anyone Know if coffee would be a viable item to try to grow here in Thailand.

I know coffee does good in humidity!

Thanks for the post

Cheers Barry

Coffee has been discussed here at length before.....try searching this forum for "coffee" and I think you'll find what you're looking for.

I just searched and found this one:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...1&hl=coffee

There are others.

Has there ever been any discussions regarding growing lemons in Issan, the only reference I could find was concerning a single tree which has leaf curl/

Coffee has been discussed here at length before.....try searching this forum for "coffee" and I think you'll find what you're looking for.

There are others.

Has there ever been any discussions regarding growing lemons in Issan, the only reference I could find was concerning a single tree which has leaf curl/

I don't know....seems like I remember some discussion....search and see.

Thanks for the links to coffee guys I will look into it when i come home. I go to the U.S. tommorrow till the 13th of July. Bang Sare is almost sea level ,so I am not to sure if it is only instant coffee. Although where I lived in Maui Hawaii They grew awesome beans $20.00 U.S. a pound only 200 ft level, but this isn't Maui!

I will lok into greater detail when I get home. Thanks for the help.

Not sure about Lemon Leaves, but do intend on growing Limes & lemons (mostly for lemonade)

I still like the creature features of home!

Thanks again

There are others.

My wife told me that a farang in this area was growing lemons. She said they got bigger than the common limes but that the Thai people didn't like them so the guy gave up. I have never seem them myself.

There are others.

My wife told me that a farang in this area was growing lemons. She said they got bigger than the common limes but that the Thai people didn't like them so the guy gave up. I have never seem them myself.

I have a lemon tree and i have only managed to get 1 lemon from it. The thais keep stealing them before they get ripe enough for me to pick. My mother in law asked them why they keep stealing them and they said because they taste good. The village has other lemons that are hard in the middle with white pulp. They do not taste very good.

Edited by wolfmanjack

I have a lemon tree and i have only managed to get 1 lemon from it. The thais keep stealing them before they get ripe enough for me to pick. My mother in law asked them why they keep stealing them and they said because they taste good. The village has other lemons that are hard in the middle with white pulp. They do not taste very good.

Perhaps try putting yellow grenades on the tree and see what happens !

• 1 month later...

There are others.

Right, now this is one I can certainly answer. Yes,lemons can be grown well in Isaan. I have one from which I get all the lemons I need for gin and I now have four or five new ones from self started leaders.

Where are you in Isaan? Try the Ag College in Buri Ram, where I got mine from, take the Mrs 'cos they speak no English there. You can plant it same as Thais would a lime, as I did, or you can plant it, as citrus seem to like, in very stony soil and see how it does - I just pulled a nice citrus self-seeded seedling [!!!] from the stones of the soakaway this morning. Guess it was a pip that got washed down the kitchen plug hole. Gonna give it a new [stony] home and wish it luck. Seen the price of lemons in the supermarkets? Good luck.

There are others.

Right, now this is one I can certainly answer. Yes,lemons can be grown well in Isaan. I have one from which I get all the lemons I need for gin and I now have four or five new ones from self started leaders.

Where are you in Isaan? Try the Ag College in Buri Ram, where I got mine from, take the Mrs 'cos they speak no English there. You can plant it same as Thais would a lime, as I did, or you can plant it, as citrus seem to like, in very stony soil and see how it does - I just pulled a nice citrus self-seeded seedling [!!!] from the stones of the soakaway this morning. Guess it was a pip that got washed down the kitchen plug hole. Gonna give it a new [stony] home and wish it luck. Seen the price of lemons in the supermarkets? Good luck.

Any chance of a phone number for the Ag centre in buriram .

Thank you

JB