Marriage Certificate

Any one know how to obtain a copy of my marriage certificate, I am in the UK and want to divorce my wife, but she will not give me the certificate, we married in Thailand but I can not remember which Ampher,

I've tried phoning and emailing the Thai embassy in London but to know avail.

Any help on this will be much appreciated.

This I fear will be a "needle in a hay stack" type search if you dont have atleast some info. 

Surely you know which province you were married in ? or may be the town/city ? That will narrow the possibilities and you will have to contact them and a process of elimination begins.

My missus says any Amphur can print off a copy a marriage certificate. All Amphurs are computer linked. Just send off a copy of your passport/ID card. You may be asked for a small payment but it's so small they may disregard it.

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

My missus says any Amphur can print off a copy a marriage certificate. All Amphurs are computer linked. Just send off a copy of your passport/ID card. You may be asked for a small payment but it's so small they may disregard it.

The Amphurs are all linked on their own intranet but that doesn't necessarily mean that data compiled before they went online has been placed on the system.  My understanding is that it was supposed to be (going back X years) but I was told by one Amphur manager that they were only entering data for events that took place from the date they went live on the system.

The OP must surely be able to remember the town/city he got married in - probably in his wife's home town? There can be several Amphurs in each town/city but its usual to use the one closest to home.

I don't think he's going to get very far with any enquiries without a trip back to Thailand. He will then be able to go to - let's say Bang Rak Amphur in Bangkok and find out if his marriage is registered on the system. 

Edited by KhaoYai

5 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

The Amphurs are all linked on their own intranet but that doesn't necessarily mean that data compiled before they went online has been placed on the system.  My understanding is that it was supposed to be (going back X years) but I was told by one Amphur manager that they were only entering data for events that took place from the date they went live on the system.

Been married in Thailand 17 years. Me and the missus went to Buriram IO to do my annual extension. We forgot our marriage certs and were allowed to go to Buriram Amphur and get a signed copy there. No problem

52 minutes ago, I love you long time said:

Any one know how to obtain a copy of my marriage certificate, I am in the UK and want to divorce my wife, but she will not give me the certificate, we married in Thailand but I can not remember which Ampher,

I've tried phoning and emailing the Thai embassy in London but to know avail.

Any help on this will be much appreciated.

Please see my reply above and..........

You will have each been given copies of your marraige certificate and the registration papers (Kor Ror 2) at the time of registration.  If you haven't got them then you will have to visit Thailand to obtain them - I'm almost certain on that.  Whilst there, providing your wife agrees to it, you could also get divorced - it only takes 30 minutes and costs nothing.  If you choose that you will have to either obtain official copies of your marriage certificate and registration or obtain a police report stating that your copies have been lost or stolen.

I appreciate that you might not have any idea where they are or even that you have lost them but you have to have a report - its a Thai thing.  I got divorced at Bang Rak without certificates and had to walk across the road to the police station, told them I'd left the papers in the taxi on the way there (you must make the report in the area where you 'lost' them) and left with a police report.

Armed with that report I obtained my divorce without my copies of the certificate and registration.  I don't know if the Amphur will require a police report if you are not divorcing there but want copies to take back to the UK - I suspect they will. 

If you do go there get the copies and intend getting divorced in the UK - don't forget to obtain official translations - you'll need them in the UK.

It may be possible to get an agent to obtain copies for you but that's going to get very complicated - involving both UK and Thai solicitors in obtaining a Power of Attorney.  If I was you I'd get on a plane.

9 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Been married in Thailand 17 years. Me and the missus went to Buriram IO to do my annual extension. We forgot our marriage certs and were allowed to go to Buriram Amphur and get a signed copy there. No problem

I don't doubt that but as I say, they haven't all entered the data.

15 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Funnily enough, it was a Buriram Amphur manager that told me they hadn't entered all the data.  I got married at one of the outlying Buriram Amphurs and could not obtain a copy of my certificate at the main city Amphur a few years later as the information was not on their system.

The data may have been entered now but the way the Amphur manager put it to me was that they had no intention of doing so.  Can't say I blame him either - can you imagine entering all the births, marriages, deaths etc. back to the year dot?