Sewage Smell from Drains

phills2k1

I'm on the 23rd floor of a fairly recent building, and every morning and night I get a sewage odor coming out of the shower drain and the kitchen sink drain. I've searched about it here and it seems to be a fairly common problem.

Despite the threads, it doesn't seem like there's an agreed upon solution (assuming there is one). Is there anything in particular that works to at least help alleviate the issue?

Thanks

Hi Phills2k1,

Similar issue chez-moi in the kitchen due to the fact there is no P Trap, consequently hear the neighbours sinks/washing machine as well as the odd wiff.

My showers and bathroom handbasins are fine, as they have the traps. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Depending on the size of the drain (measure it with a regular ruler) I used these silicon smell stoppers from lazada, that let the water flow thru but stops the gases "upstream" - couldn't find any from local vendors so ordered online:
https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i347736102-s680350533.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1&spm=spm%3Da2o4m.order_details.item_title.1

Edit: I live in a 2 story building and the downstairs bathroom smelled of rotten decomposing animals - put one of these to the floor drain and the problem was semi-fixed - next just had to relocate a tokay gekko using the bathroom as a bathroom daily pooping all over the place x)

Edited by jabis

You need to get traps installed.

For the sinks you want a PVC P/J trap like this:

P/J Water Trap fo Sink

Do NOT get one of these bottle traps, they corrode out:

Metal Bottle Trap that Will Corrode Out

For the shower you may or may not have one of the very shallow Thai style shower water traps.  If you do have one the water can evaporate in a few days so you need to make sure you pour water into it frequently.  It may also have corroded away.  If you have one that has corroded or if you don't have one then this can be placed in the shower drain with a minimum of work:

Thai Style Shallow Water Trap for Shower

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, HarrySeaman said:

Thai Style Shallow Water Trap for Shower

They are a very good solution and will eliminate the smells completely.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

His set up was for everything to openly drain into the grey water tanks.

Making easy access to your wet areas for snakes too... :cool:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Phils: TIT, without a sewage smell you would have no toilet in your condo. My advice is" learn to love the sewage smell.....it's part and parcel of being in Thailand, and better that having a smell that you don't know what it is. Just think if it was an unidentifiablele smell, it might well be a rotting corpse......so sewage smell let's you rest easy....it's only a bit of poo for goodness' sakes.

• Confused 2

This has been discussed many times,  go to DIY,  HomePro they have a metal trap with a flap in the shower take the old screen off and place the unit on top smell gone unless you lift it up to clean and forget to place it back. Cost runs 100-to 300 baht. 

Not sure about  sink. I think post by rwill is correct cheapest. 

11 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

For the kitchen sink you can buy trap like used on bathroom sink (I hope it is used anyhow) or you can just buy some flexible pipe and make a bend (place to hold water and block smells coming up).  Google kitchen sink drain trap.  If of below top type may just need cleaning.

image.jpeg.fe8547074c27a24bbcf086f6337edadc.jpegBuy Cinsda Flexible Sink Drain Pipe, 1-1/2 P-trap with Adapter, Expandable  Tubular Drain Tubing Pipe, Adjustable P Trap for Kitchen Sink Drain &  Garbage Disposal Online in Pakistan. B09MJ8CTBK

For shower drain there should be some type installed so maybe just needs cleaning (below top cover).  If not a bell type drain trap should be installed.  Google bell floor drain.

image.jpeg.b70e9a1c5fd6a9ea8e83ccf65597fe69.jpeg

Spot on.