Chao Phraya express boats no more?

Lorry

A visiting friend wanted to take the express boat today. There were none.

After asking a Thai friend who used to take the boat to work and trying to figure out their website i concluded:

Instead of formerly 65 open boats, they now use 4 closed catamarans (boring),

No boats on sundays and after dark (boring again),

Reduced schedule,  instead of a boat every couple of minutes it's now more like every half hour (useless).

Prices have more than doubled.

Modern times.

Why don't they use their submarines for public transport,  then we would have the same travel experience we are used to on the subway and the high speed trains at home.  Of course,  free Tiktok must be included in the fare. 

I will be happy if someone proves me wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, 2long said:

Could it be because today's Sunday?

That was one thing that seems to have changed: no more boats on sunday. And no more boats after dark. 

Alltogether much fewer boats than before,  closed catamarans, no more outside, watching the riverside. 

The old boats were something I could bring every visitor on, they all liked it. I cannot bring a visitor into a boring catamaran. And, of course, not on a Sunday. 

• Like 2

I personally wasn't a big fan of those boats.  Not sure about the 'fare doubling', as still seem quite reasonable, and boats, cats, look much more comfortable.  

No Sat/Sun kind of makes sense, since most were commuter, and no tourist here.  

Not sure why many people expect business to run at a loss.  Website still showing older boats, so a bit of misinformation.  Along with current YT vid, of same, but looking 'refreshed', and empty, which explains a lot.

https://www.chaophrayaexpressboat.com/home?lang=en

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, chuang said:

How to please everyone...

I think they are making a great effort in trying.  Old still there, new now available.  Fares haven't changed much at all, considering over 2 yrs ago, and price of diesel now.  Surprised they've maintained low fares & decent schedule with the low ridership.  Kudos ????

Just think the OP was misinformed.  

9 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Old still there

Sure? Are you saying they have the new  catamarans and besides these,  the old boats still do scheduled service? 

I thought the old boats are used for tourist tours (at tourist prices).

2 minutes ago, Lorry said:

Sure? Are you saying they have the new  catamarans and besides these,  the old boats still do scheduled service? 

I thought the old boats are used for tourist tours (at tourist prices).

Search YT, filter time - 1 month ... see vids of.

30 minutes ago, Nickelbeer said:

I loved this method of getting around Bangkok before the SkyTrain and BTS. Some of my best memories involve taking the boats on the Chaophya. I would hate to see them abandoned.

Don't think you need to worry about that.  Supply & demand will keep them there long after all of us are gone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The company always had special "tourist boats". These were always twice the price of regular boats, which were scheduled for commuter traffic. The extra price paid for the incomprehensible, annoying tour audio. 

Catamarans are just for the tourists; they have a large, very open, upper deck for tourists. Wonderfully, the upper deck has no audio.

The other boats had to be limited outside of rush hours because of massive drops in usage. But it is rapidly improving. 

The boats always stopped in the dark. The last boat was typically around 7:20pm from the Central stop. Nothing seems to have changed in that regard.

The boat route is now far more accessible. The circular Blue Line MRT has a station at the Old Siam Museum, with an exit very near the old pier, and fairly near the new pier. The Purple Line has a station pretty close to the northern piers, and the Gold Line has stops on the west bank of the river. All this in addition to the old BTS stops.

Things are getting better. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Gaccha said:

Wonderfully, the upper deck has no audio.....Things are getting better. 

Yes agree.  In the past, wouldn't consider the tourist option, being a CC and just going point to point.

Now a bit of a photo bug, so top deck is looking good, along with no worry of lens getting splashed, if actually getting a seat.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2022 at 5:00 PM, it is what it is said:

must have got their business model wrong because there was no shortage of demand; these boats were popular with both locals and tourists.

Indeed, it was a great trip even if you weren't going anywhere and just wanted to kill time ...

But the e-boats on Saen Saeb look like a great improvement.

On 6/19/2022 at 7:44 PM, 2long said:

Could it be because today's Sunday?

Sunday services were suspended many, many months ago due to Covid and a lack of demand. Increasedfuel costs in recent months didn't help. They just restarted this last Sunday 3 July;

https://mgronline.com/business/detail/9650000061941

Current operational times on Sundays are as follows:

South 9am to 5pm - every 30-40mins

North 10.30am to 5.30pm - every 30-40mins

Sat & holidays:

South 7am to 5pm - every 30-40mins

North 8.30am to 5.30pm - every 20-30mins

• Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I did, but as your post suggested the new boats are not prominently featured, that is rather misinformation, no?

May have me confused with someone else, as made no suggestion.  Simply pointed out old ones still available and OP's 'double price' was a bit off.

Surely a beautiful day on the river, no matter which vessel chosen.

46 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I did, but as your post suggested the new boats are not prominently featured, that is rather misinformation, no?

If you are referring to the relatively new Smart ferries then that is a different company.

https://www.minesmartferry.com/

I have used them and thought they were quite good, very quiet and air conditioned, also very cheap.  I went from one end to the other, think it was 40 baht.

Only potential  problem, they are card payment and the day we went a lot of problems with contactless.

PS. Brings a whole new meaning to EV.

Edited by sandyf
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, sandyf said:

If you are referring to the relatively new Smart ferries then that is a different company.

https://www.minesmartferry.com/

I have used them and thought they were quite good, very quiet and air conditioned, also very cheap.  I went from one end to the other, think it was 40 baht.

Only potential  problem, they are card payment and the day we went a lot of problems with contactless.

PS. Brings a whole new meaning to EV.

Orange flag boats are 15 baht, pay cash

19 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Bangkok is called the Venice of the East?

Years past maybe, as they filled in most of the canals, hence part of their yearly flooding problem. 

Still have a few major canals though, and a great day out visiting all the markets along them.  Always try to visit one with every visit to Krung Thep.  Make it really interesting, and if possible, take the bus to or from, and a boat the other direction.  I doesn't get much better.

image.png.20cdd93e4a90d96f4b7734a97f4cabb8.png

https://www.google.co.th/maps/search/floating+market+locations+bangkok/@13.7421492,100.3568747,11z/data=!3m1!4b1

Edited by KhunLA