Rising damp ?

4MyEgo

Have a newish 6 year old single level blonde brick rendered and painted house and am starting to notice that the paint is blistering and flacking just above the ground, is this rising damp, because it is also at other parts of the house, however is predominantly on the southern exterior wall where it doesn't see the sun and the external, however internal kitchen, if that makes sense, and it's the wall near the fridge only.

Anyone experiencing rising damp problems in your houses and how are you treating it.

The paint on the external wall (southern & western) is pealing off, as is the kitchen wall near the fridge, I'm assuming this is rising damp ?

Feedback appreciated as usual.

Edited by 4MyEgo

Yes my condo has that problem on each end of the building in the fire escape stairwells north and south facing.  The paint blisters and molds underneath.

We think the developer skimped on the waterproofing chemical membrane in the concrete skimcoat phase hiding the red bricks and no primer prior to painting.  The rest of the building looks fine without blistering or blackened damp mold.

Since fire escape stairwells are rarely used or seen nothing has been done.  Except for scraping and repainting which didnt work.

• Thanks 1

On 6/20/2022 at 6:57 PM, Mark Nothing said:

Except for scraping and repainting which didnt work.

Will this fix the problem?

Scrape back to bare concrete, apply an acrylic resin primer like JBP Contact-F Primer, then an undercoat, then a couple of coats of a good quality external paint like Dulux Weatherdhield?

image.png.501e918b7174796852c2718525304e16.png

On 6/22/2022 at 10:03 AM, Encid said:

Will this fix the problem?

Scrape back to bare concrete, apply an acrylic resin primer like JBP Contact-F Primer, then an undercoat, then a couple of coats of a good quality external paint like Dulux Weatherdhield?

image.png.501e918b7174796852c2718525304e16.png

I listened to your advice. In a few months I will be able to say if it worked.

• Like 1