Cabinet decrees April 3rd every year will be "National Groundwater Day" - ten days before Songkran

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture: Siam Rath

The Thai government has decreed that henceforth every April 3rd will be known as "National Groundwater Day".

This decision was taken by the cabinet and delighted Sakda Wichiansin of the Department of Groundwater Resources who said it will focus everyone on this vital resource.

Groundwater is water found underground in the cracks and spaces between soil, sand and rocks. 

Siam Rath quoted Government House spokeswoman Rachada Thanadirek as saying that the first ground water bore hole in Thailand at a hospital in Yaowarat, Bangkok, was drilled in the time of Rama V (1868-1910). 

The Groundwater Resources website says, in English, that this was in 1907 and was installed by Mr. Sengyang Sei Aow. His company drilled a 120 meter deep well using a bamboo drill rod imported from China.

A groundwater project in Kanchanaburi was initiated by the royal family on April 3rd this year. 

ASEAN NOW notes that the new national day comes just ten days before the Songkran festival when millions of Thais waste huge amounts of water throwing it over each other. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-06-22

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Easiest way to own or rent a car in Thailand - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

31 minutes ago, webfact said:

the new national day comes just ten days before the Songkran festival when millions of Thais waste huge amounts of water throwing it over each other. 

USED to waste huge amounts of water… which incidentally finds its way back in the ground eventually. 

6 minutes ago, Forza2002 said:

Just what the country needs, yet another public holiday? I believe next month (July) there is a week when Wed, Thur & Fri are holidays. 

Correct!

They are 13, 14 & 15th with 13 & 14 dry.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

and delighted Sakda Wichiansin of the Department of Groundwater Resources who said it will focus everyone on this vital resource.

ASEAN NOW notes that the new national day comes just ten days before the Songkran festival when millions of Thais waste huge amounts of water throwing it over each other. 

Some serious Irony there 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, daveAustin said:

USED to waste huge amounts of water… which incidentally finds its way back in the ground eventually. 

That is what I was thinking.  If they held Songkran party at parks it would immediately be back in the soil or air.

If they hold it at Sala deng or Khaosan it goes into the sewage and d rains and still comes back to be used

Not sure how they work this 

My question though is Groundwater day going to be another damn holiday

3 hours ago, Forza2002 said:

Just what the country needs, yet another public holiday? I believe next month (July) there is a week when Wed, Thur & Fri are holidays. 

great stuff Her In Doors works in government more holidays with pay ...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Forza2002 said:

Yes there is but I don't think this is going to be a holiday. 

If it is then great. 

4 minutes ago, kimamey said:

Yes there is but I don't think this is going to be a holiday. 

If it is then great. 

public holidays July 2022

Asalha Puja Wed, Jul 13, 2565 BE
Beginning of Vassa Thu, Jul 14, 2565 BE
H.M. King Maha Vajiralongkorn Phra Vajiraklaochaoyuhua’s Birthday Thu, Jul 28, 2565 BE

1 hour ago, Harveyboy said:

great stuff Her In Doors works in government more holidays with pay ...

Mine works in part of the Ministry of Labour but she has to work on Labour Day. I think she has a day off for the Royal Ploughing Ceremony though even though she works in an office. 

As far as I can tell this isn't going to be a holiday. If it is then I've no complaints..

7 minutes ago, Excel said:

public holidays July 2022

Asalha Puja Wed, Jul 13, 2565 BE
Beginning of Vassa Thu, Jul 14, 2565 BE
H.M. King Maha Vajiralongkorn Phra Vajiraklaochaoyuhua’s Birthday Thu, Jul 28, 2565 BE

The 15th seems to be what's called a public holiday holiday on this site.

https://www.officeholidays.com/countries/thailand/2022

I think it may be a replacement for holidays that were cancelled due to Covid. 

6 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Excellent news.......been hoping and praying for this day to come around.

Most have a lot of free and mindless time on their hands to dream up these fantastic writs and declarations. ????

All about the perceived images of goodness and the well being of the masses. 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, webfact said:

The Thai government has decreed that henceforth every April 3rd will be known as "National Groundwater Day".

And henceforth the other 364 days will be known as National Groundhog Day.

20 hours ago, webfact said:

This decision was taken by the cabinet and delighted Sakda Wichiansin of the Department of Groundwater Resources who said it will focus everyone on this vital resource.

And then during Songkran go and waste it?