SIM for Internet and video streaming.

dddave

Toss-up as to put this in Audio/Visual or Mobile Device section. Mod feel free to move.

I'm residing in Jomtien and have used TOT for internet since I moved here a year ago. My account is about to expire and I really would like to avoid renewing with TOT (no other provider allowed in my building).  TOT's service is poor with terrible customer service and the 6 month contract I need way overpriced including a farang surcharge: about B1500/Mo.

I want to see if I can meet my needs using a hotspot instead of internet wifi.  I run both my bedroom and living room TV's off Intel NUCs/Win10 mini-computers.  Most of my usage is about 3 hours a day on the internet: Email, news sites, several forums & YouTube for an hour or so.  I may watch Netflix 5 to 6 hours a week, HD only, no 4K.

I see many SIM deals: Lazada has 1 year prepaid SIMs but I don't know if enough data a month for my needs.  Both AIS and True have SIMs that can be toped up daily, weekly or monthly with various unlimited data deals.  I don't mind spending up to B1000/mo for excellent service though cheaper would be very nice if possible.  My locale gets an excellent signal from both True & AIS.

Comments and suggestions appreciated.  

8 hours ago, fdsa said:

I personally recommend to buy the DTAC 1 year SIM with 20 Mbit/s "unlimited traffic" tariff, on Lazada or Shopee. It costs about 1500 THB per year.

I have 3 of these 1 in each of my wife and I phones and one in a 4g router from which I stream Netflix and others all day long, we are in the sticks a bit and do suffer from tower outages at times but that's a seperate issue! DTac is cheapest option and yes only 1500 baht per year!(Plus 4g router if required.)

• Thanks 1

Holy mackerel!  I have TOT fiber in Chiang Mai with excellent service, 500mbs up and down.  We pay a tad over 500 baht per month including vat.  Wondering if you pay tot direction or do you have to pay the monthly fee to your condo.  1500 baht seems way too high.  Who adds the farang surcharge you speak about?

Get one year sim on True, DTAC or TOT, AIS.

DTAC 30Mbps 1650 Baht

True 15Mbps 1840 Baht

TOT (Thundersim) Max speed 999 Baht

I'm using a one year TOT sim for 999 baht in a TPLink 4G router (MR200) and am sharing the connection with others and have no problems at all with streaming and browsing.

Edited by userabcd
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, snowgard said:

1. Is it your own condo or rented?

2. Which internet paket do you have from TOT?

Rented.  No real defined packages.  just got a list headed: "Non-Thai Identification" (Re-Foreigner.)

I don't remember exactly which one.  Never got a detailed receipt.

2 hours ago, dddave said:

Rented.  No real defined packages.  just got a list headed: "Non-Thai Identification" (Re-Foreigner.)

I don't remember exactly which one.  Never got a detailed receipt.

Listen same someone cheated you or sold you a SPECIAL CONTRACT!!! In normal farangs get the same price as Thais. And you will get a monthly bill from TOT with email, snail mail or download it from their e-service. 

Here is their latest offer: NT MaxFiber 1.000Mbps for 900,- THB/monthly  
https://www.ntplc.co.th/Promotion/nt_maxdfiber

I changed 5 years ago from TOT to 3BB and be happy with it.

Edited by snowgard