Austrian man catches new antibiotic-resistant 'super gonorrhea' strain after sex during Cambodia trip

onthedarkside

Screenshot_1.jpg.9e103698e389025de3594f6547f2dd9d.jpg

[Note: article below includes adult content references.]

An Austrian man who had sex abroad caught a new strain of "super gonorrhea" that is resistant to most antibiotics commonly used to treat the infection, scientists have said. 

This is the second time a "super gonorrhea" strain has been detected. Another was found in 2018 in multiple countries. The term "super gonorrhea" refers to a bug that has a high level of resistance to recommended treatments, according to the World Health Organization.

If multidrug-resistant strains of gonorrhea keep spreading, many cases of the STD might become untreatable, according to the authors of a case report published on Thursday in the medical journal Eurosurveillance, which is published by the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control.

The unidentified man in his 50s had condomless sex with a female sex worker in Cambodia in April, according to the case report. Five days later, he experienced pain while peeing and had discharge coming out of his penis, it said.

(more)

https://www.insider.com/man-catches-new-super-gonorrhea-sex-abroad-std-antibiotic-resistant-2022-6

Insider.jpg.5a44f92a2ee8dce44a731303ec5218f1.jpg

Come back doctor Dickson on Sukhumvit. He had a fix for everything. His standard joke if you went to him with the drips was to say ' Soon fix that ' whereupon he would pull these out of his drawer :

but his symptoms disappear from azythromycin and ceftriakson. They worked in this combo.

The residual bacteria was completely removed by amoxicilin.

On top if it there are another 2 experimental antibiotics, which should be available in the near future.

So it's not all bleak as title states

I'd sooner swallow razor blades than have unprotected sex with a P4P woman. Gonorrhea is particularly nasty for women, as it stays hidden and has longer term effects such as pelvic pain sterility.

I've only had bareback sex with one woman here, my GF. That was only after she produced a health certificate dated the previous day.

It beats me why men practice unsafe sex, with STD's such as genital herpes and HIV making it necessary to take medication for the rest of their lives.

• Like 1