Tick Repellent

Tried every med I can find but my mutt still gets ticks between her toes (and other places) on every walk and they don't drop off for days, so I'm spending upwards of an hour a day tick picking with tweezers. 

Orals, systemics, collars, shampoos, combinations of them, don't work for days if I don't tweeze them, plus I'm concerned about toxicity.

What I see on Lazada, such as Bravecto, is only for black-legged ticks, American dog ticks, brown dog ticks, and Lone Star ticks. Pretty sure there aren't any ticks from Texas here, so that's a waste of money, unless they are black-legged ticks here.

Any idea what kind of ticks are in LOS?

I'd really like a repellent as much as or more than a tickicide.

Vets in my area are pretty much useless. Bangkok is on my calendar but two months out.

I use a 'spot on' tick killer..  works really well...but you must make sure not to miss the monthly application. 

If you have a tick infestation in your garden or house you need to treat the dog and also products to kill the ticks in the environment.  Repeated treatment needed on a schedule...as there will be eggs that hatch our later after the ticks have already been killed. 

• Thanks 1

Brown dog ticks (Rhipicephalus sanguineus) are very common here. As far as I know, there are no American dog ticks (Dermacentor variabilis) here, but there are several other Dermacentor species. The same goes for Amblyomma spp. (e.g. Lone Stars) and Ixodes spp. (e.g. black-legged)

The packaging is often aimed at a US market, so they highlight the specific local species, but they should be just as effective on the related species here. It can take days for a tick to drop off after it dies, but once they are dead, they aren't doing any more damage. It doesn't mean it's not working if dead ticks are hanging on. 

The better systemics (e.g. Bravecto, Nexgard Spectra) are more effective at killing ticks than the spot-ons/collars, but some spot-ons have the benefit of being repellent as well. The disadvantage of the systemics is that the tick has to bite before it dies, so the dog can still catch one of the many tick borne diseases that are endemic here. 

FWIW I give my dog Bravecto every 10 weeks (rather than the maximum 12 weeks) to kill them and use Vectra 3D spot-on every month as a repellent, but I can't get Vectra here. I have it shipped over from the UK. It's toxic to cats though, so it's no good if you have both.

If you are giving her a good systemic, and you are sure the ticks are staying alive for days after they've bitten, you need to identify the species and see if there is something more specific you can use. Or, if her paws are the main problem, train her to wear boots.

• Thanks 1

We use a product called En-Dex.

Very cheap and works very well.

We use En-Dex 8000 ,for big dogs but you can also buy smaller or cut the pills in have.

Active ingredient is Ivermectin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use Ivermectin powder which I administer by mixing with a little milk or a tin of sardines. I get it from my local pharmacy.  Protects against ticks, mites, heartworms and other intestinal parasites. I've found this to be more efficacious than other treatments such as "tick powder" or repellent sprays.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

Brown dog ticks (Rhipicephalus sanguineus) are very common here. As far as I know, there are no American dog ticks (Dermacentor variabilis) here, but there are several other Dermacentor species. The same goes for Amblyomma spp. (e.g. Lone Stars) and Ixodes spp. (e.g. black-legged)

The packaging is often aimed at a US market, so they highlight the specific local species, but they should be just as effective on the related species here. It can take days for a tick to drop off after it dies, but once they are dead, they aren't doing any more damage. It doesn't mean it's not working if dead ticks are hanging on. 

The better systemics (e.g. Bravecto, Nexgard Spectra) are more effective at killing ticks than the spot-ons/collars, but some spot-ons have the benefit of being repellent as well. The disadvantage of the systemics is that the tick has to bite before it dies, so the dog can still catch one of the many tick borne diseases that are endemic here. 

FWIW I give my dog Bravecto every 10 weeks (rather than the maximum 12 weeks) to kill them and use Vectra 3D spot-on every month as a repellent, but I can't get Vectra here. I have it shipped over from the UK. It's toxic to cats though, so it's no good if you have both.

If you are giving her a good systemic, and you are sure the ticks are staying alive for days after they've bitten, you need to identify the species and see if there is something more specific you can use. Or, if her paws are the main problem, train her to wear boots.

Well, my finger was hovering over the order button on Amazon, for the Vectra, when I decided to check for side effects....

Now, my dog is a year old, and half wolverine and half Tasmanian devil. She sits ONLY when I tell her to, otherwise she is a sidewinder missile looking for a target.

Here's the most common side effects that caught my eye:

• Anxiety and manic behavior
  • Extreme restlessness
  • Jitteriness

Since she already exhibits all of those in bountiful abundance, I'd rather not exacerbate them as I feel the need for some valium nowadays, haha.

Yeah, all dogs react differently, and I still might get some, but for now I'll explore other options.

Thanks, man.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Years ago, I had a dog who got the zoomies after having Frontline spot-on. It lasted 10 minutes or so. It didn't seem to be anxiety related (some people say the spot-ons seem to sting there dogs, but I've not seen anything to indicate that it would), just his usual crazy, happy zoomies, but that's the closest I've seen to any of these. My dog doesn't react at all when I put it on him. He just gets slightly wet-looking spikey fur on his back for 24 hours. 

Another option you could look at is a Seresto collar. They have the advantage that the effects stop pretty quickly when you remove it, so if your dog did react badly, you can just take it off. However, it's very hard to get a legit on in Thailand. Lazada is swamped with fakes, and there are lots of horror stories from dogs getting bad reactions (and worse) to fake collars. Make sure you read up on what the packaging should be like (embossed design, sealed packet inside, etc.), and that the price is realistic. (Though paying full price is no guarantee either.)

16 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

Years ago, I had a dog who got the zoomies after having Frontline spot-on. It lasted 10 minutes or so. It didn't seem to be anxiety related (some people say the spot-ons seem to sting there dogs, but I've not seen anything to indicate that it would), just his usual crazy, happy zoomies, but that's the closest I've seen to any of these. My dog doesn't react at all when I put it on him. He just gets slightly wet-looking spikey fur on his back for 24 hours. 

Another option you could look at is a Seresto collar. They have the advantage that the effects stop pretty quickly when you remove it, so if your dog did react badly, you can just take it off. However, it's very hard to get a legit on in Thailand. Lazada is swamped with fakes, and there are lots of horror stories from dogs getting bad reactions (and worse) to fake collars. Make sure you read up on what the packaging should be like (embossed design, sealed packet inside, etc.), and that the price is realistic. (Though paying full price is no guarantee either.)

Yeah, I buy a lot on Lazada but meds for my mutt won't be one of them, too risky.

I'm going to try some natural methods for a while, and go to a vet in BKK that I can trust in August.

I look back now to when I got her at 5 weeks, calm, easy-going, cuddly, sweet as pie, and named her accordingly. Now I wish I'd named her Rocket. Or maybe after that Russian hypersonic missile....Satan.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Mutt Daeng said:

I use Ivermectin powder which I administer by mixing with a little milk or a tin of sardines. I get it from my local pharmacy.  Protects against ticks, mites, heartworms and other intestinal parasites. I've found this to be more efficacious than other treatments such as "tick powder" or repellent sprays.

I use the Ivermectin injection ,works well ,like others have tried powders, shampoo spot on ,still have tics .

We live in a rural area ,lots of grass that the tics like, a 1 cc jab of Ivermectin works. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, kickstart said:

I use the Ivermectin injection ,works well ,like others have tried powders, shampoo spot on ,still have tics .

We live in a rural area ,lots of grass that the tics like, a 1 cc jab of Ivermectin works. 

Just out of interest, how often do you jab your dog(s)?

• Like 1