Are we becoming a stay-at-home society?

The pandemic coupled with rising inflation is making everyone look very carefully at their monthly outgoings.

What was a simple trip in the car to the local city for shopping is now expensive with rising fuel costs, which are likely to go up even more?

Commuting to work is also getting exorbitant whether you drive or take public transport, which in most cases are cutting back due to lack of customers.

istockphoto-1141421616-612x612.jpg.301dbc5058f3fb411c088e9456973d19.jpg

File Photo

If you are a medium-sized company, do you really need all members of staff to turn up for work every day?

Of course, it depends on the type of business you run; however, most desk-bound jobs don’t necessarily need to all work together in an expensive HQ Highrise.

If I were a CEO of a company, I would first want to retain my staff, so perhaps letting them work from home is the best way forward.

Firstly, the staff will not have any expensive commuting costs, and the company can reduce the size of its HQ building thus saving on rent too.

Personal expenditure also needs a close look too.

Walking to a local store or market not only should be cheaper, but again you are not paying to fill up the tank.

You are also getting some exercise as well.

Cutting back on extras can also help.

Look how many Netflix accounts have been canceled in the past few months.

Maybe reading a good novel will make a comeback!!!

Join our 3 x a week Philippines News, Travel and Expat information newsletter and keep up to date. https://aseannow.com/newsletter.php

As airfares have gone insane due to the Ukraine war, international travel is not on the cards for many here, me included.

There's a risk when traveling between provinces in Thailand of being clapped into quarantine, or forced to isolate in hotel accommodation for 7 or 14 days, depending on local rules.

My Thai GF loves to travel. When she is saying we should not go out anymore due to the cost of gasoline, it's a sign many Thais are putting up the shutters on travel.