A mixed day for Nonthaburi man: He wins the lottery then falls to his death down an uncovered drain

webfact

image.jpeg

77kaoded Thai Caption: He won the lottery - then fell down a hole to his death

77kaoded reported on a tragedy in Rathanathibet Soi 22 in Nonthaburi last night when a 56 year old man who had just won the lottery went home after celebrating his win with friends.

But he never got there. He fell down a drain at roadworks and was killed. 

When Pol Capt Niphon Phonsawat of the Rathanathibet constabulary and Poh Teck Tung rescue arrived Sangop Khakhao had already been fished out of the drain by a friend. 

Kanticha Khakhao, 65, his elder sister said that her brother suffered from gout but was able to look after himself. He had just won the lottery with the number 417 and had gone to a place opposite their address to celebrate with his mates. 

When it got late and he still hadn't retuned home she went out to try and find him and was told by his pals that he had already left a long while ago. 

A search was made of the immediate area where one flip-flop was found next to a drain. Inside was Sangop. 

A friend got him out but he was already deceased. 

image.jpeg

Picture: 77kaoded

Phanuwat Jampee, 41, said that he felt unwell so wasn't drinking himself but there a total of five at the booze party.

It had been teeming with rain at 7pm and after the downpour around an hour later Sangop decided to go home.

They all assumed he had reached home without incident until his sister came looking for him.

Police said there was no evidence of any attack on the victim though Poh Teck Tung took the body away for an autopsy.

The media said there have been many accidents in the soi especially during serious flooding. A woman on a bicycle had come off and pierced her leg on a piece of metal and a delivery rider had also driven down a hole in the road. 

The lottery was drawn yesterday, notes ASEAN NOW, with the numbers 417 and 61 coming up trumps. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-07-01

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Easiest way to own or rent a car in Thailand - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 2

And the Thai lottery pays out just enough to buy his friends two beers each....

I have told Thais that in the States one can buy a Powerball ticket and win anywhere between a few hundred million, and a billion and a half....they just laugh....yeah, sure.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

do something people are getting injured and dying ,maybe

it will take a few more deaths.

Unfortunately these guys in my opinion don't get taught occupational hazzard and safety, I can touch live wires at basically any electricity pole that are not covered, I know that because my cousins an electrician and had his screw driver thing with him when he visited and said I don't believe it, come here and look at this, put his screw driver thing on it that sparky's carry and the light came on, it's live he said, anyone touches that and their dead.

Dangers are everywhere in Thailand, can't expect the uneducated to do any thing, common sense is also out the window. Reminds me of a time the wife had family and friends over for a New Years celebration, everyone sitting on the floor mats with beer glasses and bottles laying everywhere, I said to the Mrs, that's dangerous, kids running around, her reply was you worry to muk, so I put an end to it quick smart, brought out plastic cups, poured everyone's beers into plastic cups and put the beer bottle in an elevated wheelie tray, and just as the sister-in-law said, you worry to muk, a 3 year old fell over with a glass cup in his hand, fortunately he only cut the inside of his hand and required 12 stiches, to which I replied, yes I worry to muk, because I can see what is going to happen before it happens, lucky it wasn't one of his main arteries I said. 

Did you think they learned anything, nope, when I used to go to their place for a dinner or some event, not often, glasses all over the floor, beer bottles all over the floor, suffice to say, I don't go anymore, as I don't want to be present to witness another accident which can easily be avoided.

There is no safety here unless it's taught is enforced and people are held accountable. What a waste for this poor fellow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blackshadow said:

417 is NOT a winning number........

the siz winning numbers are

last 2 numbers are 

last 3 numbers are 002 and 542

first 3 winning numbers are

287 and 242 

SO HOW CAN HE WIN THE LOTTERY ????????????????

Not false, without buying a ticket you can play for the last 3 numbers  or bet on a two number combination.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, blackshadow said:

last 2 numbers are 

287 and 242 

Have you not been here long? You must have very limited interaction with Thais

2 hours ago, proton said:

I think you can laugh about anything, including death and accidents

Yes the problem is that crazy avoidable accidents are so common here every day that if we took each one with the seriousness it deserves we wouldn't be able to enjoy life in a normal way. We each have to become "the laughing philosopher", amused at the follies of humanity.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, blackshadow said:

last 2 numbers are 

287 and 242 

With respect, on the Government Lottery - no win, but on a "local" lottery - yes!. You can bet on 2 and 3 combinations from the winning 6 numbers along with the 2 and 3 official numbers. So he may have bet on 417 from the 981417 - simple! The OP does not state "Government Lottery".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

With respect, on the Government Lottery - no win, but on a "local" lottery - yes!. You can bet on 2 and 3 combinations from the winning 6 numbers along with the 2 and 3 official numbers. So he may have bet on 417 from the 981417 - simple! The OP does not state "Government Lottery".

ok take your point

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, worgeordie said:

The PM was just giving a speech yesterday about safety ,

urgently start with holes in the roads and hanging wires,

do something people are getting injured and dying ,maybe

it will take a few more deaths.

Buying drones , Subs , fighter jets etc, get the infrastructure 

fixed first,  but not much commission in that , so more of the same.

regards worgeordie

dont forget the space programme !!!!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, blackshadow said:

last 2 numbers are 

287 and 242 

Black lottery......

6 hours ago, Reposed said:

And the Thai lottery pays out just enough to buy his friends two beers each....

I have told Thais that in the States one can buy a Powerball ticket and win anywhere between a few hundred million, and a billion and a half....they just laugh....yeah, sure.

Well done , got the USA comparison in quite early 

17 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

That headline is a disgrace and extremely disrespectful.  A man has just died a tragic death and they joke it is a "mixed day" for him.

The plummet of TVF in to the depths continues....

Typical black humour. Us Brits were raised and thrive on it. We tend to joke about ours and others misfortunes. It doesn't mean we don't feel for the unfortunate. i.e. To a mourner arriving at a cremation in winter. "Come on down and sit at the front. It's warmer."????

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gandtee said:

Typical black humour. Us Brits were raised and thrive on it. We tend to joke about ours and others misfortunes. It doesn't mean we don't feel for the unfortunate. i.e. To a mourner arriving at a cremation in winter. "Come on down and sit at the front. It's warmer."????

That's different, this is not two mates having a laugh in private, it is a supposed (self proclaimed) international news site and as such a headline like that is disrespectful and distasteful.  It's actually pretty offensive.

By the way I am a Brit and have the blackest humour, but that's a completely different thing.