I could use some help navigating Thai visa options. RE: New LTR Long Term Resident Visa

Hello. I could use some help navigating Thai visa options (I’ve read as much as I can but can still use help)

I love Thailand and travel there regularly.  I’ve never (yet) stayed more than three weeks but would like the option – especially now that I’m retired.  There seems to be a new visa option LTR Long-term Resident Visa, and I meet the requirements for a “Wealthy Pensioner” if the income requirements are before tax (instead of net after tax – but this is not clarified).  Some of my questions:

·         Is this a better option than the Retirement Visa?

·         Is this a good option if I am not presently living there, but might in the future?

·         Is this a really good plan?

·         It seems that I would have to drive to a Thai Consulate (7 hours away) to finalize

I'm over 60 and live in the USA

Thanks in advance!

Edited by pepper402
  • Like 1

As far as I know the new visa are not finalised yet. The conditions will be clear once it is published in the Royal Gazette. I think it is expected end of July. Until then it would be just a speculation to talk about this visa.

I am skeptical, to say the least. I'll stay on my "Thai wife" extensions until I get feed back on the procedures they'll invent to check our credentials. My understanding is that there will be yearly visits to immigration, where they might require idiotic paperwork, especially from those who have they own health plans from their former employers.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pepper402 said:

It seems that I would have to drive to a Thai Consulate (7 hours away) to finalize

All visa applications are done online now. Not need to go to the embassy or one of the 3 official consulates.

Everything is done online and they email you a stickerless visa.

You options for retirement are here on the embassy website.  https://thaiembdc.org/2020/09/30/nonimmigrantoaox/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

All visa applications are done online now. Not need to go to the embassy or one of the 3 official consulates.

Everything is done online and they email you a stickerless visa.

You options for retirement are here on the embassy website.  https://thaiembdc.org/2020/09/30/nonimmigrantoaox/

After reading the link you provided, it seems that for retirees, this "new" plan is slightly less favorable (and more expensive) than the Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O-X” (long stay).  I'll stay tuned for the final language due at the end of July. 

29 minutes ago, pepper402 said:

After reading the link you provided, it seems that for retirees, this "new" plan is slightly less favorable (and more expensive) than the Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O-X” (long stay).  I'll stay tuned for the final language due at the end of July. 

Forget  the LTR and also non O-X.

You are over 60.

Place 800k in a Thai bank in your name only and obtain annual extensions each year.

Simple quick process. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

You are over 60.

Place 800k in a Thai bank in your name only and obtain annual extensions each year.

Simple quick process. 

Thanks. But --- What program would I apply for?  From what I have read, I can't just walk into a Thai bank and open an account.

4 minutes ago, pepper402 said:

Thanks. But --- What program would I apply for?  From what I have read, I can't just walk into a Thai bank and open an account.

Simple process using an agent.

You could come to Thailand on tourist visa. 

Have agent assist with open Bank account and then transfer 800k into the account.

Obtain non O retirement here at Thai immigration and then subsequent 12 month extension.

Renew your extension every year.

Job done. Welcome to thailand.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Simple process using an agent.

You could come to Thailand on tourist visa. 

Have agent assist with open Bank account and then transfer 800k into the account.

Obtain non O retirement here at Thai immigration and then subsequent 12 month extension.

Renew your extension every year.

Job done. Welcome to thailand.

Thank you, Dr. Jack   ????

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2022 at 3:58 AM, DrJack54 said:

You are over 60.

Simple quick process. 

Instead of depositing 800k in a bank. If I provide proof that I am receiving a  Pension income exceeding 800k  how much do I need to deposit in a Thai bank?

2 hours ago, fgmr said:

Instead of depositing 800k in a bank. If I provide proof that I am receiving a  Pension income exceeding 800k  how much do I need to deposit in a Thai bank?

65k per month for extensions retirement and 

40k for extensions based on marriage.

Edited by DrJack54

3 hours ago, fgmr said:

You have to prove 65k baht of income by way of a letter from your embassy it they do them or proof of at least 65k baht being transferred  into a Thai bank from abroad for 12 months.

12 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

65k per month for extensions retirement and 

40k for extensions based on marriage.

Thanks Dr. Jack, I am aware of the income requirements. My query is related to being able to use the combination of pension income and amount deposited in a Thai bank.

2 minutes ago, fgmr said:

My query is related to being able to use the combination of pension income and amount deposited in a Thai bank

The combination method is an option.

Some immigration offices don't like it and give grief or refuse.

Suggest you post your office to obtain first hand info. 

10 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You have to prove 65k baht of income by way of a letter from your embassy it they do them or proof of at least 65k baht being transferred  into a Thai bank from abroad for 12 months.

The UK Embassy stopped providing the required letters some years ago.

From your response I understand that for the first 12 month whilst money is being deposited from abroad I have to find another type of visa as I would not initially have such a record.

Again no mention of the combination of income plus deposit.

12 hours ago, fgmr said:

The UK Embassy stopped providing the required letters some years ago.

From your response I understand that for the first 12 month whilst money is being deposited from abroad I have to find another type of visa as I would not initially have such a record.

Again no mention of the combination of income plus deposit.

I wrote my post that way since not everybody is from the UK or a country that does no issue them.

It is written in immigration order that 2 or 3 transfers can be used for the first extension of stay application but many officed will not insist you have a year of transfers.

The combination of income and money in the bank is possible.