International tourists to Cambodia’s famed Angkor up 10 folds in H1 of 2022

geovalin

Cambodia’s famed Angkor Archeological Park received 59,983 foreign tourists in the first half of 2022, up 10 times compared with the same period last year, said a press statement on Friday. The ancient park earned $2.42 million in revenue from ticket sales during the January-June period this year, also up 10 folds from last year, said the state owned Angkor Enterprise’s statement.

In this June alone, the park welcomed 14,204 foreigners, up 24 times compared to the same month last year, it said. Located in northwest Siem Reap province, the 401-square-km Angkor Archeological Park, inscribed on the World Heritage List of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) in 1992, is the most popular tourist destination in the Southeast Asian country.

Long Kosal, deputy director-general of the Apsara National Authority, said the Angkor is predicted to attract more tourists in coming months and years as the COVID-19 pandemic has waned. “As our country has reopened its borders to fully vaccinated travelers without quarantine, I believe that more international tourists will spend their holidays at the Angkor in the near future,” he told Xinhua.

read more https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501105234/international-tourists-to-cambodias-famed-angkor-up-10-folds-in-h1-of-2022/

pix-sunrise18839.jpg.85f47be89f304eb73dd4fb09d0a0ffbf.jpg

10x or 24x not a lot is still not a lot.

2.6 million visitors was the pre-Covid figure.

You would think they might have reviewed the $37 entry fee.

Cambodia is also shooting itself with a $36 e-visa charge, when Thailand and Vietnam, for example, offer visa-free entry.

2 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

10x or 24x not a lot is still not a lot.

2.6 million visitors was the pre-Covid figure.

You would think they might have reviewed the $37 entry fee.

Cambodia is also shooting itself with a $36 e-visa charge, when Thailand and Vietnam, for example, offer visa-free entry.

As for the fee, just go for a hike near the park and somehow unknowingly wander in. 

Regretfully the tourist numbers will rebound after Covid passes assuming that Asian countries don't start to enjoy the  Covid restrictions and extend them perpetually. The entry fee seems excessive but last time I went, they had no problems with lack of tourists.  I paid my park entrance fee and was disgusted with the "HUGE" crowds and left within an hour.  I decided to visit the sites the last 30 minutes before closing and the first hour in the morning was OK.  I have nothing against the Chinese but they have ruined many of the tourist destinations I went to in the past.  Can't blame them and they have every right to be there as I do.  How they actually enjoy the experience is beyond my comprehension.