Can rent motorbike in Phuket and go to other province?

d15pl4y

Legal, not sure, but who is gong to know.  I suppose some vendors don't want you leaving the island.   I never read any of the fine print, though never left either.

Krabi, Surat Thani, Nakhon Si Thammarat and Phangna are lovely areas to explore.  All nearby and I've looped around that area more than a few times.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Legal, not sure, but who is gong to know.  I suppose some vendors don't want you leaving the island.   I never read any of the fine print, though never left either.

Krabi, Surat Thani, Nakhon Si Thammarat and Phangna are lovely areas to explore.  All nearby and I've looped around that area more than a few times.  

There is a police checkpoint when entering/exiting Phuket. They might not like my idea of travelling far on a rental. Not to mention I don't have a driving license.

5 minutes ago, d15pl4y said:

There is a police checkpoint when entering/exiting Phuket. They might not like my idea of travelling far on a rental. Not to mention I don't have a driving license.

No sense in not trying.  At worse, they'll simply turn you around, and maybe a 500 baht fine for no license, and you're on your way back to Phuket beaches.

Plenty of them to explore if you haven't yet.  Stay a couple nights at each, and you used up a month of holiday.

I remember way back in 1980 I hired a car in Pattaya went up to chang mai and got stoped by Police road block and they said can't take car out of province. But the Thai people I had with me Said they want money for whisky..so maybe true or not.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MickeyQ said:

Are you refering to the checkpoint at the bridge?

If so, I've never been stopped leaving, or entering for that matter, though haven't visited since requiring vax or test.

• Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

No sense in not trying.  At worse, they'll simply turn you around, and maybe a 500 baht fine for no license, and you're on your way back to Phuket beaches.

Plenty of them to explore if you haven't yet.  Stay a couple nights at each, and you used up a month of holiday.

I've paid one 500 baht ticket already.Don't want another one. There are many checkpoints in Phuket these days. 

I might go to Phang Nga by bus and rent a motorbike there.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, d15pl4y said:

I've paid one 500 baht ticket already.Don't want another one. There are many checkpoints in Phuket these days. 

I might go to Phang Nga by bus and rent a motorbike there.

Tourist spots are not the place to be without a license.  Phuket, reportedly the worst.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, d15pl4y said:

Nobody checks papers or if u have a license

I had a guesthouse (pre covid) in Phuket and we had guests who had travelled the country on rental motorbikes, that was their holiday. So it's worth asking the rental company but I think it will be fine.

Can rent motorbike in Phuket and go to other province. This is not a question. This is a question, 

Is it possible to go on a rental motorbike from Phuket to other province? Or is it not legal? This question can only be answered by the driver/are they physically capable and the motorbike rental company. As for legality I would say it is legal as long as you have permission from the motorbike rental company.

Edited by Scott

It should be no problem unless there is a clause in the rental contract about leaving the province. But doing a tour without proper driving license is no good idea. At least you should hold a valid International Driving Permit.

You gotta check with the motocy rental company about contract restrictions on leaving the island.

I would not ride those sort of distances on a Click or similar scooter as the long distance riding position won't be very comfortable at all. I rode one one occasion an ADV 150 to Krabi before I bought my ADV 750 - the bike I used for the other later trips. The 150 was very comfortable with plenty of torque when needed to run at 90 or 100 kmh and easy as pie to ride. 

I can't help you with steering to a rental company that has recent rentals of ADV'S on Phuket. 

I wouldn't drive off the island, or any long distances on an International Drivers Permit and on a rental bike (but people do)- see the police antic stories in reply to you (I assume you're asking as a holiday visitor? - this Permit is what you will be carrying to allow you to ride legally in Thailand for your holiday period - 60 days after entry into LOS you MUST get a Thai license though). But if you're cool wear helmet and some sort of riding type look-alike clothes and shoes you might go the entire way without any cops stopping you.

As for police stopping you when leaving the island we were very very rarely stopped when riding, and rarely when driving (coming or going - except in the car on odd occasion and that was a few seconds only).

I've ridden on my own bike to Surat Thani and to Krabi a few times but don't ride anywhere except my Wasp for the short coastal road to the beach near home on the odd occasion now. It was very enjoyable and safe.

You can navigate with Google Maps easily and enjoy the back roads which I/we found safe (well as safe as any road in LOS can be).

Both places require some main road/highway riding to get to and from the island but a lot of the way/s can be done on smaller backroads. once you get over almost through/past Phangna on the way to Krabi (see your maps for a few option to turn off to the right and you'll emerge almost at Krabi beach). Surat Thani is a bit more highway (divided road) riding but you can still get off and follow the local tarred roads for a lot of the way without adding too much time.

I think the last time we rode to Krabi (2020) with a few leisurely stops for food, coffee and kanom, it took about 4 hours with very easy cruising riding and stops for photos and a look-see here and there.

Edited by Tropposurfer
  • Like 1

I've rented PCX/Nmax from several places over the years and every contract specified Phuket-only.

Having said that, I did do a day trip to Khao Lak a couple of years ago with no issues.

Also, I always do one annual sight-seeing trip to the Sarasin Bridge (so, through the control post) and also without any hassles.

Pre-covid, I knew of a group of regular 6 month tourists who rented bikes when in Phuket. Every year they would head up to HH for about a week on their rented bikes. (Must have had friends there) The bike owner knew, and obviously had no objections.

Incidentally, one of them was apparently a <deleted> rider and had several prangs over the years,  He and his wife ended up in hospital several times and often seemed to be swathed in bandages. I believe he rode through the window of the local Honda shop one time. 

On 7/3/2022 at 12:53 PM, KhunLA said:

If so, I've never been stopped leaving, or entering for that matter, though haven't visited since requiring vax or test.

I always leave the Island through the left of the checkpoint and never drive through the tourist lanes.

• Like 1