RIP Sonny Barger

seedy

29 June 2022

SONNY BARGER

If you are reading this message, you’ll know that I’m gone.

I’ve asked that this note be posted immediately after my passing.

I’ve lived a long and good life filled with adventure. And I’ve had the privilege to be part of an amazing club.

Although I’ve had a public persona for decades, I’ve mostly enjoyed special time with my club brothers, my family, and close friends.

Please know that I passed peacefully after a brief battle with cancer.

But also know that in the end, I was surrounded by what really matters: My wife, Zorana, as well as my loved ones.

Keep your head up high, stay loyal, remain free, and always value honor.

Sonny

HAMCO

More nostalgic fondness of a criminal thug, he appears to have spent more time in court than at home! Seems to have gotten away with a lot of crimes including murder charges

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonny_Barger

On April 11, 1970, Barger was arrested on narcotics charges after Donald Howarth, a film studio property manager and 1967 Mr. America from Studio City, was apprehended while walking towards Barger's home with 17 ounces of cocaine and 30 ounces of heroin (with an estimated retail worth of $350,000) in a suitcase. Barger temporarily resigned as president of the Oakland chapter in June 1970 to fight the charges, but returned to the position within months after his successor, John "Johnny Angel" Palomar, was sentenced to a ten-year prison term for shooting a bartender.[12] The drug charges against Barger were later dismissed, although Howarth was convicted and sentenced to serve five years-to-life in prison.[21] Barger was, however, sentenced to ninety days in jail after walking out of a court session.[11]

Barger and four other Hells Angels were charged with attempted murder, kidnapping, and assault with a deadly weapon after being arrested while driving through Redwood Regional Park by park rangers who discovered two bound, gagged and beaten club prospects in the trunk of the vehicle on January 22, 1972.[22] All five pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of unlawful imprisonment.[21]

Along with fellow Hells Angels members Sergey Walton, Donald Duane "Whitey" Smith, and "Oakland" Gary Popkin, Barger was charged with the May 21, 1972 murder of Servio Winston Agero — a drug dealer from McAllen, Texas who had traveled to Oakland with a consignment of narcotics for sale — which allegedly occurred following a dispute over an $80,000 cocaine deal. A prosecution witness, Richard Ivaldi, testified that he witnessed Barger shoot Agero dead as he slept at the home of an absent acquaintance, and that Barger subsequently ordered the others to set fire to the residence.[23] Barger and his three co-defendants were acquitted on December 29, 1972, following a seven-week trial after Ivaldi's credibility came under scrutiny.[12]

On March 16, 1973, Barger was sentenced to a prison term of ten years-to-life after he was convicted of possession of narcotics for sale (37 grams of heroin), and possession of a weapon by a convicted felon. His girlfriend, Sharon Gruhlke, was a co-defendant; her case ended in a mistrial when a jury failed to reach a verdict.[12] According to police intelligence reports, Barger had designated San Jose chapter president Fillmore Cross as his international successor during a motorcycle run at Bass Lake prior to his imprisonment.[21] Cross was also imprisoned, for possession of amphetamines in 1975, however, and Barger allegedly continued to lead the Hells Angels from his cell at Folsom State Prison.[22] He was paroled on November 3, 1977, after serving four-and-a-half years of his sentence.[24]

Edited by proton
  • Like 2