Cost of living higher than minimum wage, says commerce ministry

webfact

image.jpeg

By Pichayapa Phiwpong

The Ministry of Commerce’s Trade Policy and Strategy Office has come out to say that the minimum cost of living in the city stood at 18,088 baht against the current minimum salary of a graduate of 15,000 baht/month.

The Ministry of Commerce’s Trade Policy and Strategy Office said that the survey it had undertaken in the month of June, showed that the average household spending per month stood at 18,088 baht.

This is a far cry from the minimum wage for a new graduate that currently stands at mere 15,000 baht per month, while the promise by the 2014 coup leader Prayut Chan-o-cha to raise the minimum wages for new graduates to 20,000 during its 2019 election campaign, remains unfulfilled.

Full story: https://www.thaienquirer.com/41539/cost-of-living-higher-than-minimum-wage-says-commerce-ministry/

TE

-- © Copyright Thai Enquirer 2022-07-07

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Sad 1

That's why so many people need to have undeclared side businesses, sell desserts/food or other products online, or in some cases sell themselves...

Many young graduates also hope to make a career of their own trying to use social media to sell whatever. Less and less of them want to work in an office, having long hours and expensive commute for a low salary.

Drivers for Grab, FP and others start to decline. Migrant workers are scarce and Thais don't want to work in construction and similar jobs (I understand why). But now it is the upper echelon graduating from university that refuse to work for companies.

I wouldn't be surprised if Thailand had a shortage of office workers in the next few years. 

And if they want for Thailand not to be "cheap" anymore, a serious change in local salaries is needed as well. You can't just charge more for everything and expect the local population to live with their current salaries. They want to go on holidays too and have hobbies/activities.

I have been concerned by the country's situation for many years and my concerns only grow. I hope I'm wrong.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BKKTRAVELER said:

Drivers for Grab, FP and others start to decline. Migrant workers are scarce and Thais don't want to work in construction and similar jobs

Construction?  You can make 600 to 700 THB a day.  Not too bad.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BKKTRAVELER said:

They want to go on holidays too and have hobbies/activities.

More about having your cake and eating it ! As an 18 year old, I put my money away, I didn't learn to drive in my teens and never bought a car, I was careful with money, I neither smoked, drunk to excess or went on holidays or nightclubs. BUT, I bought my house at 25, I retired at 55 with early 55 pensions and rental incomes.

Life is about priorities. You want to enjoy - and waste - your money as a youngster that's up to you, just don't moan about it later. 

Can anyone confirm that this is based on someone NOT still living at home ? 15,000 a month as a graduate living at home would be an OK salary

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, connda said:

Construction?  You can make 600 to 700 THB a day.  Not too bad.

You go do what they do for that amount... Risking your life due to very poor safety protocols. Exhausting tasks outdoor with many workers working late nights and weekends when projects are delayed (very often). Not really enticing for most people.

33 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

More about having your cake and eating it ! As an 18 year old, I put my money away, I didn't learn to drive in my teens and never bought a car, I was careful with money, I neither smoked, drunk to excess or went on holidays or nightclubs. BUT, I bought my house at 25, I retired at 55 with early 55 pensions and rental incomes.

Life is about priorities. You want to enjoy - and waste - your money as a youngster that's up to you, just don't moan about it later. 

Can anyone confirm that this is based on someone NOT still living at home ? 15,000 a month as a graduate living at home would be an OK salary

That's great that you managed to save as much as possible early on. I did also when I was 20 for years and my friends had the time of their life. However, we can't really blame people for wanting to have holidays and hobbies. Right now, with 15k Baht a month, it must be hard to do so anyway. Imagine if they keep on increasing prices nationwide and leave them with 15k, they won't even be able to survive anymore.

2 hours ago, connda said:

And getting worse.  I know - subsidize the banks to make more loans to the Thai public.  That will take care of the problem. 

Without tourism money, the subsidisation used to placate the Thai people has really taken a nose-dive.

• Like 2

Many of you may remember when, for a short period,

there was no government, most were happy enough

with nothing to grumble about. However governments

around the world should remember Marie Antoinette.

Without public consent, they're not worth a carrot.

2 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Is the average household monthly spending the same as the cost of living per person?  I don't think so.  If that is the average, then there will be people spending a lot more and people spending a lot less.  Also there might be more than one income per household.

You need a "poverty line" type of figure.  This article is nonsense.

Speculative thought and guesswork is almost always nonsense. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, webfact said:

the minimum cost of living in the city stood at 18,088 baht against the current minimum salary of a graduate of 15,000 baht/month

If you're not a graduate, you can go F yourself.

You don't even exist for them ✌️

20 hours ago, webfact said:

The Ministry of Commerce’s Trade Policy and Strategy Office has come out to say that the minimum cost of living in the city stood at 18,088 baht against the current minimum salary of a graduate of 15,000 baht/month.

Of a graduate, many are below that figure at 9,00-10,000.

18 hours ago, BKKTRAVELER said:

I have been concerned by the country's situation for many years and my concerns only grow. I hope I'm wrong.

Your concerns are well founded, wages for the vast majority are out of sync with the cost of living.

The wealth divide is enormous, the civil service and above are sitting pretty on salaries and health benefits while others are just scrapping by daily.

Then of course you have the ruling elite who are sitting on millions if not more and are clueless as to the daily struggles of many.

Not only is it a wealth divide but it becomes a social divide and that never ends well.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, KannikaP said:

The article says that the average PER HOUSEHOLD is 18k. So TWO working people on 10k or more should be doing alright.

Elitist thinking. What you are saying is that 18K is OK because you can survive on it which is - hidden in your formulation - good enough for the people involved. And thinking further that therefore is no need to exert any effort to given them more.

I do not agree with that ideology.

22 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Elitist thinking. What you are saying is that 18K is OK because you can survive on it which is - hidden in your formulation - good enough for the people involved. And thinking further that therefore is no need to exert any effort to given them more.

I do not agree with that ideology.

Sorry, you misunderstand me. I would love to see the average Thai earn LOTS more than they do, and I pay any workmen who do stuff for me accordingly. 

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1

A big problem now and in the future is the lack of good jobs.

What type of jobs can these graduates do?  Sales, hotel, working for the government, travel industry.

Teachers, cops, fireman make good money in western countries and peanuts here.

There seems sadly to be not much demand or available high tech or high paying jobs.  With this, the future for most of these graduates and their salaries will remain low.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, webfact said:

cost of living in the city stood at 18,088 baht against the current minimum salary of a graduate of 15,000 baht/month.

So if that's the piddly amount for a graduate, what is the minimum for a non-graduate?  

7 minutes ago, James105 said:

So if that's the piddly amount for a graduate, what is the minimum for a non-graduate?  

350 a day X 23 days a month = ฿8k

Excuses excuse, barring an unexpected oops, I find people make their own way, and succeed quite well when applying themselves.

Others that wait for something to happen ... oh well 

Edited by KhunLA

11 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Sorry, you misunderstand me. I would love to see the average Thai earn LOTS more than they do, and I pay any workmen who do stuff for me accordingly. 

That sounds MUCH better. Thank you. Look at your own signature (maybe without the "mercy" - I am buddhist ???? and do not believe in a creator good that gives and takes) and you have nailed it.

I wish you all the best and that your wishes will become true.

• Thanks 1