Triple By-Pass surgery, approximate cost: Govt vs. Private, Isan.

dddave

A good friend in Khon Kaen was taken to a hospital in KK a few days ago with chest pains. He's had a series of tests and has been told he needs  triple by-pass cardiac surgery.  He was quoted 1 million baht, all in.  I do not know if the hospital he is in is private or Govt.  He is not insured.

Does anybody have any recent knowledge of costs in Thailand for a triple by-pass without further complications?  Information on either Government hospitals or Private would be helpful.

Also, any specific recommendations for a Government hospital either in Khon Kaen or fairly nearby that is known to have expertise in cardiac surgery?

Edited by dddave

Triple bypass / 1 mill, don't know, but sounds about right.  How much cheaper would one expect major surgery & recover to cost ?

What's the name of hospital, as that will tell you if govt or private.

No oops fund (?) and definitely no insurance ... I'll hold my extremely negative rant.

Best private hospitals in Bangkok, like Bumrungrad or Bangkok Hospital,  about 1.1 - 1.5 MB

Isaan private hospitals may have strange ideas about prices, I recently opened a thread when a hospital in the other Isaan city wanted 2MB.

But anyway,  the only hospital in KK where I would have a bypass done is Srinakarin hospital of KK university,  a goverment hospital.  Price should be considerably less than 1MB.

There is no private hospital in KK where I would go for a bypass.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lorry said:

There is no private hospital in KK where I would go for a bypass.

What's wrong with BKK / KK?

I went there for hand surgery, thumb was hanging off and they did an amazing job, 28 stitches in surgery and 3 years later can hardly see the scar. 4 days in patient and surgery 160K.

Nothing like heart surgery i know but i was impressed with treatment, i turned up at 2200 at night and they mobilised a surgeon immediately.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, PJ71 said:

Nothing like heart surgery i know

That says it all - heart surgery is a highly specialized and complex operation that requires a trained team and proper facilities.

OP friend is not Thai (free care available)?  

31 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

That says it all - heart surgery is a highly specialized and complex operation that requires a trained team and proper facilities.

OP friend is not Thai (free care available)?  

Not Thai.

12 hours ago, PJ71 said:

What's wrong with BKK / KK?

I went there for hand surgery, thumb was hanging off and they did an amazing job, 28 stitches in surgery and 3 years later can hardly see the scar. 4 days in patient and surgery 160K.

Nothing like heart surgery i know but i was impressed with treatment, i turned up at 2200 at night and they mobilised a surgeon immediately.

Open heart surgery has very special requirements including cardiac bypass machine and team of trained perfusionists to operate it. As well as specially trained nurses for the recovery period. Most upcountry private hospitals do not have this. And those that that do, have a pretty  small volume of caseloads each year.This is something you want done in a place that does them routinely.

Not remotely on par with hand surgery or general surgery.

OP: I think this was probably a private hospital as I would expect government hospital to be more like 300k.  The  only  govt hospital in Issan I would advise for this is the Queen Sirikit Heart Center at Srinagarind (Khon Kaen university hospital).

https://heart.kku.ac.th/

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2022 at 12:05 PM, Sheryl said:

OP: I think this was probably a private hospital as I would expect government hospital to be more like 300k.  The  only  govt hospital in Issan I would advise for this is the Queen Sirikit Heart Center at Srinagarind (Khon Kaen university hospital).

Sorry for tardy response.  My friend is stabilized and apparently on a waiting list for  Queen Sirikit Heart Center at Srinagarind. It seems they are having staffing difficulties at this time and he has yet to get a firm date.  The revised price quote is between B300-400K, baring complications.

• Like 2