Gen. Sonthi Recruits Police Chief Into CNS

Jai Dee

Gen.Sonthi recruits Police Chief into CNS

Chairman of the Council for National Security (CNS) appoints the caretaker Commissioner-General of the Royal Thai Police to be a member of CNS.

CNS Chairman Gen.Sonthi Boonyaratglin signed an announcement appointing the caretaker police chief, Pol.Gen.Seripisut Temiyavet, to be the new CNS member. The announcement states that the appointment is made to facilitate the operation of CNS in line with the interim constitution.

The article 34 (2) of the temporary charter authorizes CNS to recruit members.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 21 June 2007

Just strengthening the foundations..... If we have to execute emergency rule by CNS decree, we wouldn't want a house of cards, would we...

Soundman.

getting the top brass of the police is certainly sound counter-coup prevention strategy!

Just strengthening the foundations..... If we have to execute emergency rule by CNS decree, we wouldn't want a house of cards, would we...

Soundman.

getting the top brass of the police is certainly sound counter-coup prevention strategy!

Yup, they're finally starting to hit on more than 3 cylinders.

Soundman.

Yup, they're finally starting to hit on more than 3 cylinders.

This week or so has been a good one for the CNS and governemtn in their battle with Mr. Thaksin. They have seen little notice taken of the Thaksin TV appaerance, offerd talks with T, seen a low attendance at what was meant to be a mass rally against them, seen various corruption cases announced and the associated freezes of assets carried through, seen dsi officials give Mr. Thaksin a return deadline, have announced posible early elections, and for once the internatioanl media has been carrying their message, while Mr. Thaksin has been fairly quiet barring a few more negotiations on Man City.

It seems to me that in the last 10 days many people are jumping ship from the Taksin bandwagon.

Maybe the credit from all those payoffs has finally started to run out, or conversely with no available cash, his "supporters" sense that the end is nigh.

The big nail in the coffin is Taksin being caught in a catch 22. Come back to Thailand & you'll be shot & come back to face charges or jail time.

Cheers,

Soundman.

It seems to me that in the last 10 days many people are jumping ship from the Taksin bandwagon.

Maybe the credit from all those payoffs has finally started to run out, or conversely with no available cash, his "supporters" sense that the end is nigh.

The big nail in the coffin is Taksin being caught in a catch 22. Come back to Thailand & you'll be shot & come back to face charges or jail time.

Cheers,

Soundman.

Yeah, I also heard Mrs. T is getting sicker by the minute and will stay in Singapore for an extended time, unless she has to be evac'd to London for proper treatment.

Cheers,

Soundman.

Yeah, I also heard Mrs. T is getting sicker by the minute and will stay in Singapore for an extended time, unless she has to be evac'd to London for proper treatment.

Laugh as we may, were still living under a Junta non-elected authority, tightening immigration checks etc, it's only time before the Junta decides all white faces are Persona-Non-Granta.... legitimate businesses, visas or not! :o

Cheers,

Soundman.

Laugh as we may, were still living under a Junta non-elected authority, tightening immigration checks etc, it's only time before the Junta decides all white faces are Persona-Non-Granta.... legitimate businesses, visas or not! :o

jay -----

take a series of deer breaths and repeat after me ...... "I will not be overcome by paranoia, I will not be overcome by paranoia, I will not be overcome by paranoia, I will not be overcome by paranoia, I will not be overcome by paranoia, I will not be overcome by paranoia, "

Cheers,

Soundman.

Laugh as we may, were still living under a Junta non-elected authority, tightening immigration checks etc, it's only time before the Junta decides all white faces are Persona-Non-Granta.... legitimate businesses, visas or not! :D

jay -----

take a series of deer breaths and repeat after me ...... "I will not be overcome by paranoia, I will not be overcome by paranoia, I will not be overcome by paranoia, I will not be overcome by paranoia, I will not be overcome by paranoia, I will not be overcome by paranoia, "

Almost went cross eyed reading that last sentence. :o

Soundman.

Cheers,

Soundman.

jay -----

good one :D

Cheers,

Soundman.

jay -----

Excellent..

This reminds me of a poem by Niemöller about the indolent action of intellectuals following the Nazi rise and the purging of their targets, group by group, individual by individual.

"When they came for me,

there was no one left to speak out."

This reminds me of a poem by Niemöller about the indolent action of intellectuals following the Nazi rise and the purging of their targets, group by group, individual by individual.

"When they came for me,

Come on Luk we know that Thaksin is no Hitler and we also know the Junta are no nazis. Those historical comparisons dont work.

"When they came for me,

Come on Luk we know that Thaksin is no Hitler and we also know the Junta are no nazis. Those historical comparisons dont work.

I agree. I'm really getting tired of these extremist comparisons of Thaksin to Idi Amin, Hitler or whatever. He was an effective businessman and leader until his unbridled ambition, power hunger and greed brought his own downfall. With the exception of the drug crackdown, he wasn't a mass murderer, and one could argue that with the way the Ya Ba crisis was dragging down the youth that that was an effective counter-drug measure, if not draconian.

The Junta is no more malevolent. They took the only option they could to remove a PM gone wild. Otherwise, the entire backbone of society and growth, the middle and upper middle class, would have been alienated. Sure, they will plant the seed of their sticky fingers in politics for some time to come, but hopefully, this will cleanse itself out through a number of elections, and with enough reforms, could be back to a workable democracy. Don't ever expect Thailand to be the USA or UK model of democracy.

With the exception of the drug crackdown, he wasn't a mass murderer

short , memory ??

Well, if you're referrring to the problems in the south, ok, you have a point. Or you could also call it a mini version of the war on terror. Mini, in comparison to other so-called wars going on now.

Ok, maybe I haven't followed this as closely as others. Please detail for us the instances of mass murder apart from the drug crackdown and, arguably, the problem in the south?

Please detail for us the instances of mass murder apart from the drug crackdown and, arguably, the problem in the south?

that's me on the benches ............ :o

Then, let's just summarize shall we? First, I'm in no way defending this man's methods or what he did. I'm not a supporter of his.

But, he's not Hitler. He instituted draconian measures in an attempt to solve a drug problem that threatened the lifeblood of society. It actually worked for awhile. He, errantly, tried to address the problems in the south ala George Dubya. This also hasn't worked in Thailand or anywhere else for that matter.

Where is the outright malevolent mass murder?

"When they came for me,

You guys missed the point of my post. I was referring to the sit back attitude and the statement "I will not be overcome by paranoia" in reference to "When they came for me, there was no one left to speak out." There are marked similarities the way the Junta is systematically taking the rights from the Thai people, possibly no one has noticed, or wants to notice and they are just focusing on Thaksin and not the big picture.

"When they came for me,

You guys missed the point of my post. I was referring to the sit back attitude and the statement "I will not be overcome by paranoia" in reference to "When they came for me, there was no one left to speak out." There are marked similarities the way the Junta is systematically taking the rights from the Thai people, possibly no one has noticed, or wants to notice and they are just focusing on Thaksin and not the big picture.

Or possibly we noticed that Thaksin did it first .. and in a far worse way .. and that the rest is just hyperbole

With the exception of the drug crackdown, he wasn't a mass murderer

short , memory ??

Well, if you're referrring to the problems in the south, ok, you have a point. Or you could also call it a mini version of the war on terror. Mini, in comparison to other so-called wars going on now.

Ok, maybe I haven't followed this as closely as others. Please detail for us the instances of mass murder apart from the drug crackdown and, arguably, the problem in the south?

with the exception of?

I would think 2600+++ extra-judicial killings would be enough! Sadam was hung for less! Many of the Nurenburg defendants were put to death for less ....

TakPai was a mass killing ... oooops! (granted he may not have directly ordered loading human beaings up like cordwood and shipping them off)

or am I just missing something :o