Tattoos

pomchop

10 minutes ago, pomchop said:

But just trying to understand the why behind it?

To some it's art, to others it's just a fun thing, and then comes laser for those who regret getting them, that's even more fun when they smell the skin burning (many sessions) at great expense.

The simplest way to answer the why, is, because.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

58 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

The good news is less girls are getting tattoos, i was in an agogo a few days ago and the new crop of girls no have ????

Are you sure? They may have had small tattoos in places that are only viewable once the appropriate amount of cash has changed hands...

• Haha 1

I was thinking that excessive tattoos used to be considered a psychiatric disorder.

My thought was like pre 1950s.

I googled and was surprised to find this:

From 1990.

"Psychiatric implications of tattoos

Abstract

Psychiatric disorders, such as antisocial personality disorder, drug or alcohol abuse and borderline personality disorder, are frequently associated with tattoos. Finding a tattoo on physical examination should alert the physician to the possibility of an underlying psychiatric condition."

This was from "Am Fam Physician 1990 May;41(5):1481-6."

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/2333825/

How about from 2013:

"Interactions between risky decisions, impulsiveness and smoking in young tattooed women

Abstract

Background: According to previous studies, one of the common problems of everyday life of persons with tattoos is risky behavior. However, direct examination of the decision making process, as well as factors which determine women's risk-taking decisions to get tattoos, have not been conducted. This study investigates whether risk taking decision-making is associated with the self-assessment impulsiveness in tattooed women."

BMC Psychiatry 2013 Nov 1;13:278.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24180254/

Some doctors are reading a lot of significance into tattoos I think.

Some shrinks say getting a tattoo is an indicator of "lack of foresight".  This one I can see if you are only considering the foresight with respect to the tattoo.  

Like the example of the semi-famous American actor who got a "Keep on Trucking'" tattoo.

Tattoos are like forever and what we think is cool, beautiful, or interesting today, may be less so in 5, 10, 20 years.

Edited by cdemundo
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, cdemundo said:

I was thinking that excessive tattoos used to be considered a psychiatric disorder.

My thought was like pre 1950s.

I googled and was surprised to find this:

From 1990.

"Psychiatric implications of tattoos

Abstract

Psychiatric disorders, such as antisocial personality disorder, drug or alcohol abuse and borderline personality disorder, are frequently associated with tattoos. Finding a tattoo on physical examination should alert the physician to the possibility of an underlying psychiatric condition."

This was from "Am Fam Physician 1990 May;41(5):1481-6."

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/2333825/

How about from 2013:

"Interactions between risky decisions, impulsiveness and smoking in young tattooed women

Abstract

Background: According to previous studies, one of the common problems of everyday life of persons with tattoos is risky behavior. However, direct examination of the decision making process, as well as factors which determine women's risk-taking decisions to get tattoos, have not been conducted. This study investigates whether risk taking decision-making is associated with the self-assessment impulsiveness in tattooed women."

BMC Psychiatry 2013 Nov 1;13:278.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24180254/

Some doctors are reading a lot of significance into tattoos I think.

Some shrinks say getting a tattoo is an indicator of "lack of foresight".  This one I can see if you are only considering the foresight with respect to the tattoo.  

Like the example of the semi-famous American actor who got a "Keep on Trucking'" tattoo.

Tattoos are like forever and what we think is cool, beautiful, or interesting today, may be less so in 5, 10, 20 years.

Guess I am psychotic, delusional and out in left field....fully sleeved and Sak Yants on my back....oh and I was a monk for 30 days. So I guess all Monks have a disorder as well since they do the Sak Yants.

I guess my friend with his No Regerts Tattoo fills your post with absolutes.

image.png.b82d465e5722b7fd92062f8787ee4457.png

• Haha 1

Why do women and men wear make-up, dye their hair, have Botox and even surgery to alter the way you look.

The fact is, zillions of folk do the above because they want to, which includes tattoo's.

I have one tattoo, to mark a time in my life, nothing to do with glamour, I already have that....????

But, I do not understand the Thai girl trend for plastering themselves in tattoos and the fitting of those ugly teeth thingies. To me that all looks awful...????

When I was a kid, tattoos in the UK were common place, I suppose mostly men in the forces or Seamen, though my dad never had any.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, nikmar said:

some tattoos are better than others - i bet this guy has no difficulty attracting the sexiest girls ---

19 horrible tattoos you never thought existed, but sure, they do...

Not so sure about that, do you know what the tear drops mean...?  ????

I have 6 tattoos on my skin.  They are all invisible unless I am shirtless or wearing a very short-sleeved shirt. All my tattoos are of characters, as opposed to 'swirly' shapes.

This is my latest tattoo, completed 2 weeks ago ????

tattoo.jpg.7eecfdad874331868735cc2f2e40c6dd.jpg

It's one of my nieces, who was like my own daughter.  She died just 4 weeks ago.  So for me, a tattoo is a personal thing, an aid-memoire when my brain starts to forget in my old age!!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Black Ops said:

This one proves my point nicely.

https://vt.tiktok.com/ZSRLLJ2hS/?k=1

Opinions differ between all, I think her Tattoos are nice, of course as I said I have full sleeves and the back covered in Sak Yant Tattoos.  I spent time as a foreign novice monk at Wat Chalong in Phuket and then picked up the Sak Yants, the others from when I was in the Military and as a LEO.  Always wear long sleeves unless swimming and folks would never know I have Tattoos.