Mexican President Renewed Asylum Offer for Assange in Letter to Biden

Scott

Mexican President Renewed Asylum Offer for Assange in Letter to Biden

Reuters

FILE PHOTO: U.S. President Joe Biden meets with Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador in the Oval Office of the White House in Washington, U.S., July 12, 2022. REUTERS/Kevin

(Reuters) -Mexico's President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador said on Monday he gave a letter to U.S. President Joe Biden where he defended Julian Assange's innocence and renewed a previous offer of asylum to the WikiLeaks founder.

The United Kingdom last month approved Assange's extradition to the United Station to face criminal charges relating to WikiLeaks' release of confidential U.S. military records and diplomatic cables.

"I left a letter to the president about Assange, explaining that he did not commit any serious crime, did not cause anyone's death, did not violate any human rights and that he exercised his freedom, and that arresting him would mean a permanent affront to freedom of expression," Lopez Obrador said in a regular news conference.

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2022-07-18/mexican-president-renewed-asylum-offer-for-assange-in-letter-to-biden

File:U.S. News & World Report logo.svg - Wikimedia Commons

Sounds kind of like Obrador is trolling Biden. Of course Biden can't accept that. Perhaps a compromise can be crafted. Since Assange is so used to confined spaces now, how about a deal where he must never leave the premises of Senor Frog's in Cancun?

20 hours ago, Quidio said:

I suspect this is just trolling.  Assange is in the UK, not the US, so Biden is in no position to do anything.  

If "Biden is in no position to do anything", please enlighten me which country is pushing on UK to get him?

So, do you really think that Obrador is trolling his very powerful neighbour (he is very depending on) - something what other world leaders do not dare to mention?   

12 minutes ago, Saanim said:

If "Biden is in no position to do anything", please enlighten me which country is pushing on UK to get him?

So, do you really think that Obrador is trolling his very powerful neighbour (he is very depending on) - something what other world leaders do not dare to mention?   

You seem to be under the impression that the current president of Mexico kowtows to the US. Nope!

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/06/07/politics/summit-of-the-americas-joe-biden/index.html

Snubs from key leaders at Summit of the Americas reveal Biden's struggle to assert US leadership in its neighborhood

--

On the Assange matter yes of course the US wants him to face trial in the US for alleged serious crimes.

I think Obrador is trolling because he knows very well that his suggestion won't even be considered by Washington.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Snubs from key leaders at Summit of the Americas reveal Biden's struggle to assert US leadership in its neighborhood

Tells me everything about the quality of leadership in the US.

21 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

On the Assange matter yes of course the US wants him to face trial in the US for alleged serious crimes.

Yeah, it's well known that the US can't handle the truth very well, especially concerning their dirty wars all over the world.