To ill to do marriage visa

2 hours ago, Soda Soda said:

He can get 90 day sickness extensions until he is better.

Immigration might help him out in other ways if asked.

Unless in hospital, or using an agent, it is very difficult in practice to get medical extensions. Phoning the local immigration office, or (better) having someone visit the office on your behalf to explain the situation cannot hurt. However, in most cases, it will not lead to a solution.

• Like 2

I have a friend in the similar position, but he is only going to get worse, he had to change to retirement as his wife abandoned him, so he now has to use an agent, the biggest problem was opening a Bangkok Bank account, that you need to have so you can use an agent. Depends where you are and what bank he uses.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

With proof he is unable to travel to immigration his wife could do the extension application for him.

If able to do it he could do a power of attorney allowing his wife to get the needed financial proof from a bank.

Any suggestions on how to do a power of attorney if you cant travel ? 

When my dad was on his deathbed, my mum was able to do his retirement extension for him (both foreigners). She was required to take a photo of him holding the day's newspaper. She already had power of attorney for his bank.

Edited by sussex
added details about power of attorney
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, BritTim said:

Unless in hospital, or using an agent, it is very difficult in practice to get medical extensions. Phoning the local immigration office, or (better) having someone visit the office on your behalf to explain the situation cannot hurt. However, in most cases, it will not lead to a solution.

People who are responsible for the Thai immigration system must be among the most heartless people on this earth. I have read of many instances here on TV/AN and know people personally who have suffered because of them.

It is an issue that should definitely be looked into and given a solution with the aging retirees in Thailand.  I have to load a friend in a car today that had a stroke 3 weeks ago to renew his retirement visa.  It is going to be hard enough getting him to the bank and immigration in his condition.  I Hope that they will let me hand in the paperwork and come out to take a photo of him in the car.  If not I guess we will have to drag him in.  I'll find out soon.

15 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

It's only going to get worse.

Personally do my extensions by myself.

Never used an agent.

Currently banged up due to hip replacement....

Can certainly imagine a time when I use agent.

In your friends case the agent would do extensions on going based on retirement. Approx 15k per year.

Immigration so far has not provided good options for the infirm.

They used to. They would come to the residence of the old and infirm to process the application. Not any more, sad to say.

• Thanks 1

This is sad and sorry stuff. It will probably be my turn in the not too distant future. 

I am so sorry to hear of your friend's condition and of others too.

Is there no compassion in Thailand? There should be. 

I guess it does no harm to ask your local Immigration.

• Confused 1

• 1 year later...
On 7/23/2022 at 9:59 PM, Kalasin Jo said:

This is sad and sorry stuff. It will probably be my turn in the not too distant future. 

I am so sorry to hear of your friend's condition and of others too.

Is there no compassion in Thailand? There should be. 

I guess it does no harm to ask your local Immigration.

Immigration wants you to show respect to them but they do not show respect to the foreignors 

Edited by The Patriat
Fix miss spelled words
  • Sad 5