Retirement Back to O Visa (Marriage?)

For a few years I was on "O" marriage extensions and then this year I went to a retirement.

If I wanted to start a company/get a WP etc how would I go about getting these or an "O" married to a Thai wife extension?

Best regards

RAZZ

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If you changed back to a extension based upon marriage you could then register a company or a partnership with your wife (51/49 ownership).

Then you could apply for a work permit.

How do I change back? Do I have to leave Thailand and get another marriage "O"?

Or can I do it "in country"?

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

8 hours ago, RAZZELL said:
13 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If you changed back to a extension based upon marriage you could then register a company or a partnership with your wife (51/49 ownership).

How do I change back? Do I have to leave Thailand and get another marriage "O"?

Or can I do it "in country"?

RAZZ

You can do it in country. You just need to specify "Thai Wife" as the reason for extension instead of "retirement" on the TM7 application form and provide the necessary supporting docs. I've done it a few times.

Edited by Mutt Daeng
typo
  • Like 1

On 7/21/2022 at 6:42 AM, ubonjoe said:

Yes

You will apply for a extension of stay based upon marriage instead of retirement near to the end of your current extension.

Many thanks, just same process as before?

RAZZ

On 7/20/2022 at 5:08 PM, ubonjoe said:

So can you also change the visa from a non-o marriage visa to a non-b work visa the same way once the company is set up i.e., just submit the necessary form and documents for the new visa extension type?

Actually an immigration officer suggested that I do this - get a marriage visa first - last week when I was extending my current non-b visa for the last time, but we were just chatting while she checked my documentation so I didn’t press her for specifics and imagined the change from non-o to non-b would be more complicated.

10 minutes ago, Nonthaburi Boy said:

So can you also change the visa from a non-o marriage visa to a non-b work visa the same way once the company is set up i.e., just submit the necessary form and documents for the new visa extension type?

You cannot change from a non-b visa to a non-o without leaving the country.

You could change the reason for your extension of stay based upon working to a extension of stay based upon marriage 

24 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You cannot change from a non-b visa to a non-o without leaving the country.

You could change the reason for your extension of stay based upon working to a extension of stay based upon marriage 

Ah, I see. So that’s not quite what I thought but actually much better if I can keep my current visa until it expires. Now I know the right question to get HR to ask next time they are at Immigration - although based on what you say I think an Immigration officer answered it for me earlier this week but I wasn’t well-enough informed to understand what she meant. Thanks for that insight into how visas work - much appreciated. 

1 hour ago, Nonthaburi Boy said:

Ah, I see. So that’s not quite what I thought but actually much better if I can keep my current visa until it expires. Now I know the right question to get HR to ask next time they are at Immigration - although based on what you say I think an Immigration officer answered it for me earlier this week but I wasn’t well-enough informed to understand what she meant. Thanks for that insight into how visas work - much appreciated. 

No I didn’t quite see! I think my ‘current visa’ is probably going to be relatively irrelevant and it will not ‘expire’. What will expire is my latest extension of stay, granted based on an original visa granted 30+ years ago. 

Now I see (I think).

• Like 1