change from retirement to working visa

My friend is on a retirement visa, he is 52 years. He has been offered a teaching position ( he is fully qualified) and will accept the job. He needs to change visa, I think it's a B that he needs. can he do this without leaving the country and what does he need to do to change the visa. Many thanks

He cannot change non immigrant visa categories without leaving the country.

He could change the reason for his extension of stay (it is not a visa) from retirement to teaching with all the required documents to apply for it. But the big problem he would have it getting a work permit application approval to apply for the new extension of stay.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

He cannot change non immigrant visa categories without leaving the country.

He could change the reason for his extension of stay (it is not a visa) from retirement to teaching with all the required documents to apply for it. But the big problem he would have it getting a work permit application approval to apply for the new extension of stay.

I've always wondered about this. I have a Non-B as my underlying visa and after many years on a work extension changed it to a retirement extension. So you're saying it is possible to change a Non-B retirement back to work, yes? But the problem is the work permit? What is the difficulty with the work permit?

Edited by John Drake

26 minutes ago, John Drake said:

But the problem is the work permit? What is the difficulty with the work permit?

The problem is that many work permit offices would not accept the application for one while on a extension of stay based upon retirement. With the help a employer the it may be possible to overcome the problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1