How do I get an International Driving Permit from the Thai Government

Wuvu2

My drivers license from my home country has expired, so my Thai driver's license is my only valid license.

How do I get an international Driving Permit based on my Thai license? I'm in Jomtien.

Edited by Wuvu2

11 minutes ago, ifmu said:

which reply ?     

You need to jump though the below hoops just to get this permit for 1 year only and you need to go there by your self and wait, no no-line service, too advanced for Thailand yet...

No Thanks...

FOR CAR AND MOTORCYCLE DRIVING LICENSE.

1.PASSPORT WITH NON – IMMIGRANT VISA : ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY
**NON QUOTA VISA ALIEN IDENTITY BOOK (RED BOOK) : ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY
2. RESIDENCE CERTIFICATE FROM EMBASSY , IMMIGRATION POLICE OFFICE, GOVERNMENT ORGANIZATION , INTERNATIONAL ORGANIZATION , WORK PERMIT (WITH PRESENT RESIDENT ADDRESS IDENTIFIED) AND ORIGINAL PHOTO COPY
3. FIVE -YEARS THAI DRIVING LICENSE : CAR AND/OR MOTORCYCLE DRIVING LICENSE : ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY
4. PICTURES 2 PHOTOS 2 INCHES (NOT MORE THAN 6 MONTHS)
5. FEE : 505 BAHT

Edited by ezzra

As mentioned, the need for the International Driving Permit (IDP) is dependent upon the requirements of the country where you plan to drive except in the USA - there it is dependent upon each State's requirements - it has been some time ago, but when I checked on what Texas requires, as I recall, they do require an IDP and guess what, they accept that only if you are under the certain age - 70 as I recall.

As to getting an IDP if you are in Pattaya, you will need to go to Chonburi DLT to obtain one - as mentioned, your Thai license will need to be a 5 year one.  Banglamung DLT which is where those in Pattaya obtain their Thai driving license, will not issue an IDP.  You can find more information on how to get one at Chonburi from the Pattaya City Expats Club website - go to www.pcec.club - move your cursor to hover over the "Living in Thailand" topic, from the drop down menu, hover over "Driving/Vehicles" for another drop down menu - click on the "International Driving Permit" for the information.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ifmu said:

posted twice.

2 hours ago, ifmu said:
2 hours ago, JWRC said:

All the info is in the replies.

which reply ?     

Not really as you don't want to tell what country you are from.

Edited by brianthainess
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

You don't want to share ?

1. As motioned by chickenslegs and The Hammer; an IDP might not be needed so lookup the requirements for exactly where you want to drive. I searched google for "Can I use my Thai drivers license in California". 

2. If an IDP is required Upnotover provided the link to DLT  link https://www.dlt.go.th/en/international-driving-licence/

That's it ????

Visited the USA in 2013 and 2015 my Thai license served without issue renting cars. No police incidents so I do not know a local cops reaction. Also used in renting the car and driving in Czech Republic, Slovakia, Austria, Germany in 1013 ... again no police incidents (such a good boy am I, ha!). I did not seek and International document.

Edited by Wrwest

13 hours ago, ezzra said:

You need to jump though the below hoops just to get this permit for 1 year only and you need to go there by your self and wait, no no-line service, too advanced for Thailand yet...

No Thanks...

FOR CAR AND MOTORCYCLE DRIVING LICENSE.

1.PASSPORT WITH NON – IMMIGRANT VISA : ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY
**NON QUOTA VISA ALIEN IDENTITY BOOK (RED BOOK) : ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY
2. RESIDENCE CERTIFICATE FROM EMBASSY , IMMIGRATION POLICE OFFICE, GOVERNMENT ORGANIZATION , INTERNATIONAL ORGANIZATION , WORK PERMIT (WITH PRESENT RESIDENT ADDRESS IDENTIFIED) AND ORIGINAL PHOTO COPY
3. FIVE -YEARS THAI DRIVING LICENSE : CAR AND/OR MOTORCYCLE DRIVING LICENSE : ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY
4. PICTURES 2 PHOTOS 2 INCHES (NOT MORE THAN 6 MONTHS)
5. FEE : 505 BAHT

To get your IDP in UK you go to PO. Thailand is far more advanced than UK where driving licenses are taking up to six months and driving tests even longer. Anyway no foreigner for Thai needs to jump through  all those hoops for anything. We use agents.

On 7/23/2022 at 11:00 AM, Liverpool Lou said:

He did.. he said "thanks" and that he'd sorted it out, what else is there to "share"?

What did he do to get a International license from the Thai government or that he didn't . The steps he used, information others may be able to use. Sharing is as important as asking on forums.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

Sharing is as important as asking on forums.

But not mandatory especially when the process has been pointed out already by others, many times.   If you still don't know how to go about it start a thread, I'm sure someone will come to your rescue.

On 7/23/2022 at 9:17 AM, Wuvu2 said:
  On 7/23/2022 at 5:43 AM, IAMHERE said:

You don't want to share ?

1. As motioned by chickenslegs and The Hammer; an IDP might not be needed so lookup the requirements for exactly where you want to drive. I searched google for "Can I use my Thai drivers license in California". 

2. If an IDP is required Upnotover provided the link to DLT  link https://www.dlt.go.th/en/international-driving-licence/

That's it ????

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:
  3 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

Sharing is as important as asking on forums.

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

But not mandatory especially when the process has been pointed out already by others, many times.   If you still don't know how to go about it start a thread, I'm sure someone will come to your rescue.

OMG - I even answered him directly and precisely. What is the problem? 

READING the response is as important as asking ????

That's it ????

I see the Thai.go.th call it an International Driving LICENCE as opposed to PERMIT.