Bikes on Highway 9 (West) or Not?

KhaoYai

Up to now, just about all of my touring has been in Northern Thailand - I've never even been to Bangkok on my bike.  However, in a couple of weeks time I'm travelling South to Hua Hin. I'll be coming South down Highway 1 and hoping to basically hang a right at Bang Pa-in onto Highway 9 West - thus avoiding Bangkok.

I've travelled on the Western section of Highway 9 by car before and as far as I can remember, its a normal highway and bikes are allowed (I know the Eastern section that goes down to Suvarnabhumi is a Toll/Motorway). However, I'm aware that there have been some major changes to the road configurations in that area recently connected to the new M6 motorway. The new intersection where Highway 9 meets Highway 1 looks pretty complicated (spaghetti junction) but I can't see any point where the regulations might change.

So I have 2 questions if anyone knows that area and the changes well:

1. Is my memory correct - Highway 9 West is a normal highway where bikes are allowed?

2. If the above is correct, can I actually traverse across from Highway 1 to Highway 9 without encountering any Toll/Motorway regulations on or around Spaghetti junction?

I've done the above moving the little man on Google maps (dated 2022) and it all seemed OK.

Edited by KhaoYai

8 hours ago, nickmondo said:

anything you pay for, you cannot take a motorbike.

google maps will take you where you want to go, just select the NO TOLLS option, or Motorbike option when planning your route

Yes but its not always up to date and there are changes going on in that location right now.

• Like 1

It's not just toll roads that bikes can't be on, highway with controlled entry/service roads like Bangna highway and Vibhavadi Paholyothin heading north from Bangkok, bikes aren't allowed in the middle part, and supposed to be on the service road only, but enforcement varies, I guess the Hwy 9 on the west sections count as there's service roads on the side 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well I did the trip without a hitch - apart from the complete mess that is Highway 9 when it reaches the outskirts of Bangkok.  Thank god I was on a bike and didn't have to sit for hours in that traffic with all the cars.  I just hope all the cameras are front facing ????

• Like 1

On 8/1/2022 at 4:26 AM, MikeyIdea said:

What a coincidence, I plan the same in a few weeks time and wondered the same. Thanks KhaoYai and InThailand

You shouldn't have a problem - just keep a list of place names in your head.  The signage is mainly on the frontage roads (Thai styli) so you might think you're on the wrong road.  most of the signs will also only have the next destination one on them - unlike in other countries where the major destinations are also mentioned.  If I'd been seeing Petchaburi or Samut Songkram all the time, I wouldn't have had to stop and ask - and yes, you can go wrong with that, there appear to be several Highway 9's ????.

Shame I was too lazy to fit my phone bracket before I left, I could have followed Google - its on now.

• Like 2

In theory you should ride on the side 'frontage' roads where they exist, and not on the main highway.

If no frontage road, we're supposed to stick to the left lane, where the trucks have a better chance of running you over.  This rule tends to be ignored by most Thai riders - especially riders of larger motorcycles and scooters.

I tend to bob in and out, depending on traffic, shade and road conditions.

Of course the toll expressways are not use-able.