Needless death of a Thai teen whose friend was on the phone on a bike: So many questions about the Thai roads

webfact

When I see dangerous driving (motorbike) or kids on a motorbike, do you know what I do?

nothing.   always nothing.  never anything.

if you want to save lives, get involved!!!  educate!!! report!!!   lol.  nobody will do anything.  

• Like 1

I see a lot of Thai people talking on the phone while riding their motorbike. Furthermore, they don't even wear helmets.

This is asking for disaster to happen. Isn't there basic education of road safety in Thailand?

How did they even get a driving licence in the first place?

Edited by EricTh
  • Thanks 2

Should schools do more to train students? That has to qualify for one of the stupidest questions of the year. How about the parents as well, if they have any? I understand sometimes they need their young teens to go get something or run an errand but that doesn't mean hammering into them basic rules of safety should be ignored and not preached.

I've seen way too many young teens after 02:00 laid out of the ground with a pool of blood leaking out of their heads. I'll be the first one to say how free it feels to ride and understand the fun and enjoyment of riding a scooter or full on motorcycle but if you want to treat them as toys buy the safety gear and take it off road!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

The law enforcement / fines are totally failing. Strong laws are required to make the consequences of driving without license, insurance or under the influence so sever that only a fool would break them. If that is enforced then there may be a reduction is lives being wasted.

Seeing kids on the phone whilst driving is a common sight. It is also not uncommon in the villages to see young mothers carrying their babies in one hand whilst riding one handed.

2 years ago whilst travelling past the school in Surin city at closing, the police were directing the traffic as hundreds of kids drove from the school, very few wearing helmets.

Obviously the police are happy to turn a blind eye to it at this time

I was shocked to see a boy that looked about 12 years of age (in school uniform) who could only just  reach the floor on what was at least a 750cc motorcycle with a young girl as a pillion (no helmets)

I tried to catch him on my 250 to get a better look but he left me standing as he bombed off

Even in Samut Sakhon in  Bangkok the number of people not wearing helmets shocked me

3 local teenagers, on bikes, have died in the last 2 years in the 4 months i was there. How many have died when i wasn't there?