Visa run

Hi,all! Firstly,a word of thanks helping me with all my visa requirements a couple of months ago-have been here a month now and loving it! (If any confusion-it's Miles here,just couldn't seem to log on with my old email address,so had to set up new id,etc) Based in Udon,somebody has told me I will need a visa to visit Laos and where to get it,but is this really necessary? Surely can get one of those 30 day things at the border? My only other worry is am I going to get any trouble trying to get my pickup out the country as it's in my name not the girlfriends?

Good job I checked,then! So I must apply for visa to visit whichever country I intend to use to leave Thailand for stamp on passport for re-entry? Only on 6 month tourist visa at present,but will be changing to non-imm O in August-am assuming the same rules will apply?

Just checked my passport. Last time I entered Laos I turned up at the border and was granted a 15 day stay. Previous time I got a visa in advance from the Khon Kaen consulate. Looks like it was for 60 days.