Student dashes across road into path of Honda Accord despite warnings from school bus driver

webfact

image.jpeg

Sanook Thai Caption: Vehicle hits student crossing the road

Shocking CCTV footage showed a female 13 year old M1 student dash across the road into a passing Honda Accord.

The driver of the car said she could not brake in time. She stopped as others rushed to help the victim.

A school bus driver said that he had warned four students about not crossing the road until the white car had passed.

The 13 year old didn't heed his words.

She was found by rescue services unconscious bleeding from the nose and mouth.

She was taken to Pluak Daeng Hospital then transferred to Rayong Hospital in a critical condition.

The accident happened yesterday afternoon on Route 3245 in Pluak Daeng district of Rayong, central/eastern Thailand, reported Sanook,

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-07-26

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

• Sad 3

14 minutes ago, CLW said:

We don't get to know the full situation here, but regardless of what the bus driver said and the young girl did, the car driver is clearly in the fault. 

Any civilised country teaches drivers to approach and pass school buses at walking pace.

Blame it on the government too for their mickey mouse driver license testing procedure

Cars driving too fast happened in every Country .

Cars not following driving rules happened in every Country . 

You are suggesting that Thailand is uncivilised because drivers drive faster than they should ?

Drivers speeding happens in every Country , not just Thailand .

No need to use this girls accident to bash Thailand 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ikke1959 said:

You are right... but in other countries drivers get an education before getting a driving license, In other countries police enforce the laws foe traffic offenders, In other countries the penalties are much higher than in Thailand.

Besides this kid was warned and did not listen apperently....  

So, you would prefer it if Thailand had 5000 Baht speeding fines (like other Countries) and fines for not wearing crash helmets etc ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CLW said:

We don't get to know the full situation here, but regardless of what the bus driver said and the young girl did, the car driver is clearly in the fault. 

Any civilised country teaches drivers to approach and pass school buses at walking pace.

Blame it on the government too for their mickey mouse driver license testing procedure

another Thai basher to add to my ignore list ????

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

In the USA when a schoolbus stops and puts out a red Stop sign and/or Unloading sign,  traffic indeed halts in both directions.

That is obviously NOT the case here.

All schools also have road signs posted in their area to SLOW - SCHOOL ZONE - while school is in session to 25 mph/ 40 km per hour.

And all traffic does slow.

Serious penalties for transgressing.

Am I also a "Thai basher" for pointing this out?

Yes, Thailand is not in the USA .

I do think that its Thai bashing to call Thailand uncivilised because of this car accident in question  

• Like 1

The nephew that lives with us is dropped off by the school van across the road, and the adult in the van with them, who is there in addition to the driver, gets out with him and makes sure it is save for him to cross the road. It really isn't too difficult if someone cares about the job they are doing. In Thailand, too many people don't. Telling a kid something, as we know, can often fall on deaf ears (as in this case). It needs something more.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Be interesting to know what the speed limit is near the school and exactly why they do not drop it to 10-15 miles an hour or something

The report doesn't say the accident was near the school. The fact that the driver was dropping off four kids suggests that they were being bussed home.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Cars driving too fast happened in every Country .

Cars not following driving rules happened in every Country . 

You are suggesting that Thailand is uncivilised because drivers drive faster than they should ?

Drivers speeding happens in every Country , not just Thailand .

No need to use this girls accident to bash Thailand 

You are ignoring the fact that it's worse here. Much worse.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

So, you would prefer it if Thailand had 5000 Baht speeding fines (like other Countries) and fines for not wearing crash helmets etc ?

Indeed... and even more for speeding 5% of the value of the car... A human life is a bit more worth than 500 THB I suppose... 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 2009 said:

You are ignoring the fact that it's worse here. Much worse.

When I am riding my bike around my village every day for my exercise, hardly a day goes by without idiots putting my well being in danger by riding on the wrong side of the road, coming out in front of me at road junctions etc, etc.

But there is also something else I should mention. I have never ever seen a workman at the back of the refuge truck working with the bins crossing the road without looking. They must have been receiving some sort of training.

• Like 1

This kind of accident happens in many countries.

The Thai bashing on here has some merit but kids sometimes just do not listen.

In the UK & NZ there have been some tragic accidents similar to this one, mainly on country roads

as most kids in the city do not have buses put on for them

20 hours ago, webfact said:

A school bus driver said that he had warned four students about not crossing the road until the white car had passed.

The 13 year old didn't heed his words.

No need to blame the driver.... 

• 2 weeks later...

The school bus driver is in the wrong. This is his fault! He saw a car coming. They have no flashing red lights on school buses here! If the children were on his bus and he was stopping to let them out, then he should have held them in the bus until it was safe for them to leave period!