Food poisoning outbreak at well known homestay - 30 people affected, they received no help

webfact

image.jpeg

Sanook Thai Caption: Well known homestay poisoned (people)

A very unhappy client of a well known homestay in Chanthaburi in Thailand's east went on Facebook to complain about a food poisoning outbreak.

The poster said they had signed up for a package for meals on Saturday lunchtime, Saturday evening and Sunday morning breakfast.

But by 11 pm Saturday they said that they were violently ill. No one was around to help with medications or electrolytes and then many other guests started getting sick with stomach pains and vomiting.

At one point the poster thought the homestay was taking action but it was just other guests trying to organize river transport to hospital.

Others were getting in cars to seek medical attention in the middle of the night.

The poster said they arranged for an ambulance for themselves and two others.

In total 20 people sought attention at Laemsingh Hospital. Ten others remained ill at the homestay.

The poster said that at 8 am someone from the homestay finally arrived at the hospital to take people back but they behaved "as if this was a regular occurrence."

The owner said they would only pay for medications.

The guests said that despite difficulties they intended to prosecute.

Sanook apparently made no attempt to contact the homestay and there was no mention in their rambling story as to what was on the menu that might have caused the food poisoning. 

And of course in defamation crazy Thailand, there was no mention of the name of the homestay. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-07-27

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 4
  • Haha 2

Two sides to this story. My wife was on that tour and we spoke about it last night. Two elderly women who were part of the tour got ill. Only 2. The only two who refused to stop eating the "endless" buffet of seafood. We are talking hours of eating. There were large tables set up and they were the only two that got sick. They were warned by others that for their age they were eating way to much seafood late into the night, they were also among the oldest. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

39 minutes ago, marin said:

Two sides to this story. My wife was on that tour and we spoke about it last night. Two elderly women who were part of the tour got ill. Only 2. The only two who refused to stop eating the "endless" buffet of seafood. We are talking hours of eating. There were large tables set up and they were the only two that got sick. They were warned by others that for their age they were eating way to much seafood late into the night, they were also among the oldest. 

So only 2 got sick? maybe it's another story? Says 30 people got sick in the original post.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, marin said:

In total 20 people sought attention at Laemsingh Hospital. Ten others remained ill at the homestay.

I assume you that you or your wife has a connection with the business or the owner.

• Like 1

Could be a 3rd party problem so have to be careful before blaming the restaurant.

We went & had dinner at the Barges Restaurant ) long gone but was credited with being largest restaurant  in the world).  3 of us had "Phuket" oysters. They were fresh & still alive.

Violently ill, turns out farmed by a sewer outlet

14 hours ago, marin said:

did you receive a free voucher for that story .... 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

did you receive a free voucher for that story .... 

Nah, nice reply from a pro.  Update, two groups were at this homestay. One the 30 person group my wife was with. The other who are doing the complaining a  20 person "big bike" group who arrived at noon and started eating and drinking. The lure of these homestays is an unlimited buffet of seafood, namely crabs and prawns. So they drank straight through until dinner. Regency brandy the wife said. Then continued to drink through their seafood dinner until 10pm when "quiet time" occurs. But they continued to party until several of them got quite ill. Not the 20 reported, but a few.  Seems as it stands now the resort has now gotten back to the group. Not in the form of compensation either. 

53 minutes ago, marin said:

Nah, nice reply from a pro.  Update, two groups were at this homestay. One the 30 person group my wife was with. The other who are doing the complaining a  20 person "big bike" group who arrived at noon and started eating and drinking. The lure of these homestays is an unlimited buffet of seafood, namely crabs and prawns. So they drank straight through until dinner. Regency brandy the wife said. Then continued to drink through their seafood dinner until 10pm when "quiet time" occurs. But they continued to party until several of them got quite ill. Not the 20 reported, but a few.  Seems as it stands now the resort has now gotten back to the group. Not in the form of compensation either. 

I just don't get it   !  .....    The story said 30 got ill , 

quote : " In total 20 people sought attention at Laemsingh Hospital. Ten others remained ill at the homestay "

now you say it was just several  ?

Also,  why would they get ill just because they drank regency from noon until dinner and ate seafood and continued drinking until 10pm ....   I've been folks who drank all day and had seafood and drank again and none ever got sick from that .....   you get sick if the seafood is suspect.  

Look mate I dont know.  I simply reported what I knew as clear as I could. They were looking for attention it seems and got it. But they did not and will not get compensation. They had their medical bills covered. You sure did get excited over this, why not shoot on down and find out for yourself and perhaps eat some seafood? The whole area is set up for Thai's to come and enjoy.  

21 hours ago, swm59nj said:

I’m surprised the blame wasn’t put on the guests involved for creating the food poisoning themselves.  

It was clearly the dirty guests fault!  If they had not eaten the food they would not be sick. 

Also they should remember they are only guests in the homestay.....

And now they are being very bad and damaging the reputation of the homestay.  

If they don't like the homestay they should stay at home!

No one forced them to eat the food!

????

• Haha 1

On 7/27/2022 at 9:44 AM, Denim said:

Got to protect the guilty here instead of calling them to account

In the case of food poisoning (and only this case) I'd argue that the defamation laws are spot on, as the general public are woefully undereducated in how it works and how long it generally takes for food posing to actually take effect.

In this case it appears the claims may be justified, as there appears to have happened to many people who all seemed to be eating on an "all-inclusive" package. So, as long as none of the guests were running a "quick uncooked moo ping" enterprise, it looks like it's unlikely that anything external could have caused the outbreak.

What is a "homestay" as referenced in this thread?   
I looked on the internet and found a description of someone who owns a residence but rents out to paying guests.   I guess like when I rented a room in someones house, from the owner who lived there. 

But, 30 people?   That sounds like a hotel.  Is a hotel a "homestay"?