Top Taiwanese call center criminal who conned people in Thailand is extradited from Albania

webfact

23 minutes ago, webfact said:

They had posed as court officials, postal workers, police, DSI officials, AMLO staff, NCB officials and Bank of Thailand officials. 

Victims were convinced that they were mixed up in illegal drug deals and subsequently transferred money to various accounts. 

So, they must have had Thai accomplices to record these messages, who where 'innocently' involved.

Still, who gives their credit card details, etc., to a 'recorded message'? 

Edited by StayinThailand2much

I have been getting a few scam calls recently. If my girlfriend answers they start asking for information, like name, where are you etc, she hangs up. When I answer the phone in English, they hang up.

I block the number and report it, but still get the occasional one.

3 hours ago, LoveDogs said:

Both of us at least twice a week.  We press the required number to talk to a sub human.  Then waste as much of their time as possible. 

I no longer answer  unnamed/unknown phone number anymore.

I make that decision from the moment I got bored by advertising over the phone including AIS by themselves.

Got a "+697" call the other day. 

Ignored it. Blocked it, deleted it.

Never answer ANY number I don't know or isn't in my Contacts. 

Thanks to forum/ report earlier for highlighting this country prefix as a scam call and not to answer. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, darrendsd said:

You're right that's why phone call scams only happen in Thailand and no other country in the world ????

Thailand has been a hub for these scams since I arrived here 32 years ago.

Most of the big expat bars on Sukhumvit in Bangkok were built on boiler room scam money in the 90's and early 00's.

Hardly, if any prosecutions happened and when foreign police forces got involved there were arrests and deportations as a show but the operations kept going and those criminals came back unimpeded.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Thailand has been a hub for these scams since I arrived here 32 years ago.

Most of the big expat bars on Sukhumvit in Bangkok were built on boiler room scam money in the 90's and early 00's.

Hardly, if any prosecutions happened and when foreign police forces got involved there were arrests and deportations as a show but the operations kept going and those criminals came back unimpeded.

I think India has taken over the reins of telephone scams....????

• Like 1

I get about 3 or 4 a week.  Recorded message in Thai about DHL package, customs duty or similar.  

I ignore any calls from countries where I don't have customers, but the scammers VOIP system seems to generate random country codes, so I answer UK and US numbers, then hang up and block.

I once let it run out of curiosity, when my TGF was worried that the call may be genuine.  It's an impressive routine.

You press the number, a person answers and tells you the tale ...... "your DHL package has been stopped by customs at the airport because it contained illegal items".

He then offers to connect you to 'the police' to explain that you did not order the items.  He gave us a Line account - which has the Royal Thai Police logo on the account.

The 'policeman' waffles on about how much trouble you're in, then asks for a bribe.  By then the TGF agreed with me that it was a scam, and we rang off.

But as others have said, the scam is reliant on the victims believing that the police would ask for a bribe - which is why Thailand, India, Pakistan are top of the scammers league.

On 7/28/2022 at 9:20 AM, Phuketshrew said:

Crimes like these could not be perpetrated without the culture of corruption and bribery that is endemic in the Thai law "enforcement" and "justice" system.

Very true.

Equally true is..

“crimes like these could not be perpetrated without the culture of mindless compliance, over respect for “authority/superiors” and lack of critical thinking drummed into the populace from childhood.”

• Like 1

On 7/27/2022 at 4:20 PM, Phuketshrew said:

Crimes like these could not be perpetrated without the culture of corruption and bribery that is endemic in the Thai law "enforcement" and "justice" system.

Which is also why someone like this gets extradited & someone like Red Bull Vorayuth “Boss” Yoovidhya  is still free & nearly reaching his get out of jail free in 2026 finish line

Edited by mania

On 7/28/2022 at 9:20 AM, Phuketshrew said:

Crimes like these could not be perpetrated without

A lack of proper education and critical thinking.

A culture of corruption that makes such phone calls plausible. Mockery of any sort of justice system.

It's the perfect scam I must say

8 hours ago, Confuscious said:

This is a week review of calls on my phone.

Oh you get the calls from +697, which I thought were Midway or Fiji or something.... can't recall I know anybody in either place.... but I since learned....

In a smart move to combat call centre scams, Thailand's National Broadcasting Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) has purposefully added the prefix +697 to IP calls to help people identify potential scammers. Internet Protocol (IP) calls are not registered with the authorities and are untraceable.

yes, get about 3 calls per week - if unknown number, i do not answer usually (did miss a call from network provider that i was out of credit though!). I did ask one caller to speak English, usually they hang up but this time they said i had an immigration problem and needed to pay 100,000 baht to clear it up! I had been to immigration the day before for 90 day report so knew absolutely this was a scam,,,,,,