How To Wire Money Outside Of Thailand?

steffi

Sorry but are you sure about the no limit? How do you send a wire if you don't have a bank account?

Is it possible to wire money outside of Thailand if so what limit is there?

I know technically it's not allowed to take 50k thb cash when leaving but what limits are their on wiring the money?

No limit on wires.

steffi, asking for advice on wiring money out without telling us you don't have a bank account is a bit like coming to us asking for a good omelette recipe, and only revealing later you have no eggs.

It kinda helps to know these things.

I'm not sure how you're going to wire money from a bank if, ummmm, you don't have a bank account. Maybe you could send it by that system which lovesick guys send to their 'girlfriends' in Pattaya. I can't remember what it's called . . they have yellow booths here and there.

Help me out, people.

Actually, I'm not sure, but I do wire transfers monthly at Bangkok Bank in Bangkok Silom main branch. I do believe that even without a bank account, they will accept cash and do an international transfer to any bank outside Thailand, if that is your question. Not sure about Pattaya.

Last month, some Russian guys had huge wads of US$ and doing this.

Yeah is there a fee for this? I also have US$ and don't want to convert to THB.

And there's no limit or one that applies for say amounts less than 50k USD?

Also since it's the Silom main branch is the wiring handled separately from all the other business because that's one very busy branch.

Actually, I'm not sure, but I do wire transfers monthly at Bangkok Bank in Bangkok Silom main branch. I do believe that even without a bank account, they will accept cash and do an international transfer to any bank outside Thailand, if that is your question. Not sure about Pattaya.

i was under the impression it was not possible to transfer money out unless you could prove how you obtained the money..ie work permit..proceeds from sale of property are ok ...designed to stop people illegaly working, drug running or whatever.

Yeah is there a fee for this? I also have US$ and don't want to convert to THB.

And there's no limit or one that applies for say amounts less than 50k USD?

Also since it's the Silom main branch is the wiring handled separately from all the other business because that's one very busy branch.

Yes, separate department, go to 2nd floor. It operates very efficiently that department. However, not sure about proving where you got the money, or whether there's a limit or anything. As I'm a regular bank customer I wouldn't know. Go ask.

I have wired money from Thailand in order to payoff some bills and I did not have an account with the bank. I explained to them what the payment was for, the bank took a copy of my passport and that was it. So it is possible to wire money out of Thailand using a bank which you do not have an account.

I do not remember the fee and I sent about 25k baht.

Cheers,

TheWalkingMan

I am not sure now, but a few years back you had to wait for Bank of Thailand BoT

approval before sending money out.

I should imagine that money laundering legislation will make it more difficult?

When I friend of mine left he went to the bank and bought US$ travellers cheques and took those.

No problem at the airport as they were issued in LOS.

Do you remember how much that was for?

I am not sure now, but a few years back you had to wait for Bank of Thailand BoT

approval before sending money out.

I should imagine that money laundering legislation will make it more difficult?

When I friend of mine left he went to the bank and bought US$ travellers cheques and took those.

No problem at the airport as they were issued in LOS.

The little yellow booths are Western Union.

Anti-money laundering legislation did not make it harder to send money out. It only required better recordkeeping.

Couldn't find anything on the BOT website about a wire limit. But that site is almost useless. ######s.

I suggest calling a bank and asking what the limit is.

I don't feel like it right now.