How do I fix one of these leaking taps?

hamleknoi

At the fully-closed position it's started to leak a little bit of water. I'm thinking open it up a little, hold the top little bit with pliers, and close it again. Is this right? I don't have pliers so I can't try it but I can borrow some from the neighbour when he comes back home.

Old Steel Faucet. Public Faucets at Schools in Thailand. Stock Image -  Image of schools, faucets: 188773199

3 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I think you will find there isn't much adjustment you can do, or washer to change. just grab a new one, they literally cost 100 baht.

2 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

No.  The top screw holds the handle onto the valve it does not adjust the valve.

OK thanks guys. I'll get the neighbour onto it. He does this kind of stuff. Wanted to fix it myself if I could.

29 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Go and buy a new one and a roll of PTFE tape.

You don't even need tools, turn off the water and use the handle as a lever to unscrew the old, wrap plenty of tape on the threads of the new, and screw on the new again using the handle.

Note, it is totally guaranteed that the new one will be tight when the outlet is pointing vertically upwards. 

Vertical up just means you didn't use sufficient tape.. 

• Haha 1

Dismantle the tap part from the part the screws into the wall ,

then file a little bit off the tap part , so when you reassemble

it will tighten up on ball valve in the tap , then will not leak , been

a Cheap Charlie  that's how I make the taps last longer ,

You are going to need a grip a spanner and a file  or 100 Baht and buy a new one.

regards worgeordie

Edited by worgeordie
  • Like 1

Now this one requires the removal of the handle (complete with mud-dauber casings) in order to actually screw the ruddy thing in place. Plumber said it was fine before the tiler did his job!

image.thumb.jpeg.db66421d27af57501b44bbfe1babaec3.jpeg

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, FriendlyFarang said:

This can be adjusted by the amount of PTFE tape, might take a bit of trial and error to get the right amount.

It's more like: trial, trial, trial, etc and error, error, error etc.

44 minutes ago, carlyai said:

It's more like: trial, trial, trial, etc and error, error, error etc.

The tribulations are feeling lonely, don't forget the tribulations to go with the trials! :whistling:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Crossy said:

Note, it is totally guaranteed that the new one will be tight when the outlet is pointing vertically upwards. 

Yep! Got that T-Shirt too :whistling:

Funny thing, some time ago watched a neighbor replace one of those taps and it fitted the right way, just like that. :blink:

This vertical upwards thing must be Farang specific :sad:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Daffy D said:

Funny thing, some time ago watched a neighbor replace one of those taps and it fitted the right way, just like that. :blink:

It will be water tight, not leak, without being fully tightened mechanically.  Only the anal require the latter.

21 hours ago, Crossy said:

You don't even need tools, turn off the water and use the handle as a lever to unscrew the old, wrap plenty of tape on the threads of the new, and screw on the new again using the handle.

Teflon tape and thread dope fix that problem

On 7/31/2022 at 7:21 PM, Crossy said:

"I'll get another half a turn" CRACK.

Out with the grinder and hammer and chisel to repair cracked fittings.

Yeah been there, done that.

• Like 2

On 8/7/2022 at 11:41 AM, sipi said:

"I'll get another half a turn" CRACK.

Out with the grinder and hammer and chisel to repair cracked fittings.

Yeah been there, done that.

Thai  fittings  should be  renamed "cockinabucket"  fittings theyre  really krap threads.........youll  need  about 18-20  turns  of  ptfe starting thin build  up to a  pyramid  shape   at the end, always  buy the fittings  with the metal insertplastic  ones  again are  krap, not  perfect but  better, then also add green pipefitting dope as mentioned ........ Before  fitting the tap try it dry to calculate HOW  MANY revolutions get you  near to the upright  position so when you do tighten it  you  know how  many before it  bottoms  out. Half inch  fittings are the worst it gets  better with 3/4  inch for leaks and or  splitting when  over tight

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/permatex-no51h-118-ml-100-i262179393-s403657700.html?exlaz=d_1:mm_150050845_51350205_2010350205::12:17724336665!!!!!c!!403657700!531910104&gclid=CjwKCAjw9NeXBhAMEiwAbaY4llLOcTVQBZ4l4hk98iJfdT1pO8Td2tQEo7MtxSkgJcbn2d05ITmIehoC-RAQAvD_BwE

• Like 1

Had this too, not messing, lets go get another !

Grabs hold of it, turns it, shears straight off from the thread in the wall !

What should have been easy swap now turned into a nightmare removal of shrapnel ! prior to finally fitting the new one and trial and error with tape to get it to stop in the right position.????

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Had this too, not messing, lets go get another !

Grabs hold of it, turns it, shears straight off from the thread in the wall !

What should have been easy swap now turned into a nightmare removal of shrapnel ! prior to finally fitting the new one and trial and error with tape to get it to stop in the right position.????

You need https://www.lazada.co.th/products/8-2021-i2755653306-s10008709057.html I bought a set last time that happened to me, of course it's never been needed ???? 

image.png.fb6f62c6f4c4b125af2e4054ed28c7f7.png

There are cheaper options which are specifically for busted pipe fittings https://www.lazada.co.th/products/life-tools-4-6-i3845266711-s14670160254.html

image.png.e7ae276ee97530203b6af03ac09122a2.png

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Crossy said:

You need https://www.lazada.co.th/products/8-2021-i2755653306-s10008709057.html I bought a set last time that happened to me, of course it's never been needed ???? 

image.png.fb6f62c6f4c4b125af2e4054ed28c7f7.png

There are cheaper options which are specifically for busted pipe fittings https://www.lazada.co.th/products/life-tools-4-6-i3845266711-s14670160254.html

image.png.e7ae276ee97530203b6af03ac09122a2.png

I used some old drill bits, jammed them in, similar principal, it worked......eventually ????????

• Like 1