Two highway bridges collapse in last two days

Kinnock

Not sure if this has been covered in the news section, but last night the under-contruction flyover on Rama 2 in Bangkok collapsed, trapping some cars, then this morning part of the Bang Pakong tollway collapsed, fortunately nobody hurt this time.

Another risk to add to the list of safety hazards when driving in Thailand?

• Sad 1

I worry every time I drive from BKK to Hua Hin through the section where they are building the expressway and the BTS rail to the south of Bangkok.  I try to stay out from underneath the sections they are building, but then it wouldn't make a difference I guess if the entire span decided to collapse......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

If you've every watched them being built it smacks of DIY, currently building many between Pattaya and Sattahip and generally they don't use purpose built concrete, they mold it and use concrete trucks

Quite common to build bridges in situ all over the world.

Basically it is a huge safety issue, no lifting and overhead construction work should ever be ongoing over the public and workers at any time.

Was looking the other day at those U turn bridge decks and how the beams on the curve are supported and wondered with age, deck movement due to traffic, ground conditions and weather that some of the beams supported on the pierheads look a little risky.

Edited by userabcd
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, userabcd said:

Quite common to build bridges in situ all over the world.

Basically it is a huge safety issue, no lifting and overhead construction work should ever be ongoing over the public and workers at any time.

Was looking the other day at those U turn bridge decks and how the beams on the curve are supported and wondered with age, deck movement due to traffic, ground conditions and weather that some of the beams supported on the pierheads look a little risky.

That would be literally impossible, in all countries with upgrading and maintaining the roadway infrastructure.  Remember Rama 2/ 35 twenty years ago, just a few lanes, and now what, 12 ish lanes in some stretches.

Same with hwy # 9, was 2 lanes, not even paved for long stretches, and now again, 12ish lanes along some stretches.  Thailand has done an excellent job, keeping up with the expansion of the middle class and amount of vehicles, and truck commerce on the road.

Take a look at their neighbors, and 1 main reason I don't live in any of those countries.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1