Will Thailand make Tourist visa free to reboot tourism in 2022 ?

I read on 7th July that due to inflation and increased prices of flights due to increased oil prices , "Thailand is reportedly considering a temporary fee exemption scheme for Visa on Arrival (VoA) and Tourist Visas throughout 2022 in order to revitalize the tourism industry after the Covid-19 pandemic."

I have to submit E-Visa here in Belgium to come end of this month and it is now 40 € for single entry (before 2019, price was 30€ by local consulate)

Anyone heard about this project from TAT ? 

Is it going to happen thoses days, this month of August or has this roposal been refused ?

Edited by cedel
  • Sad 1

https://www.huahintoday.com/hua-hin-news/proposal-to-waive-visa-fees-for-foreign-tourists-to-thailand/

This must have been the same proposal ...but they talk about 1000 B visa fee (?), strange that it costs 40 € in Belgium, and I think 35 € in France...(why also different prices ?)

In the past, to boost tourism, they have already done free 60 days tourist visa for a few months I remember.

While 1,000 baht is the base price, most embassies/consulates actually charge more, partly by applying inflated exchange rates. If a temporary fee waiver for TR visas is introduced, it will apply everywhere, regardless of the local price.

My own sense is that the fee waiver is probably not coming at this time, as the authorities have seemed more upbeat in the last few weeks on the projected tourist arrivals. However, nobody really knows.

9 hours ago, cedel said:

https://www.huahintoday.com/hua-hin-news/proposal-to-waive-visa-fees-for-foreign-tourists-to-thailand/

This must have been the same proposal ...but they talk about 1000 B visa fee (?), strange that it costs 40 € in Belgium, and I think 35 € in France...(why also different prices ?)

In the past, to boost tourism, they have already done free 60 days tourist visa for a few months I remember.

"The proposal is for the 1,000 baht visa fee and the 2,000 baht fee for Visa on Arrival to be waived until Dec 31."

so it's for VOA, not TR

12 hours ago, cedel said:

I went to Azerbaijan a few times and they had different rates for different nations posted. I believe it's pretty common for countries to charge different fees for different nationalities. I don't know why.

4 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

"The proposal is for the 1,000 baht visa fee and the 2,000 baht fee for Visa on Arrival to be waived until Dec 31."

so it's for VOA, not TR

1,000 baht (TR) and 2,000 baht (VOA)

The TR visa usually costs more than 1,000 baht and is paid in local currency, but the base price is 1,000 baht.

17 minutes ago, BritTim said:

1,000 baht (TR) and 2,000 baht (VOA)

The TR visa usually costs more than 1,000 baht and is paid in local currency, but the base price is 1,000 baht.

thanks, methinks I misread it. but of course it makes sense that each embassy/consulate will charge a different price as local expenses vary from country to country. AFAIK they don't receive a subsidy from the MFA. 

6 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

thanks, methinks I misread it. but of course it makes sense that each embassy/consulate will charge a different price as local expenses vary from country to country. AFAIK they don't receive a subsidy from the MFA. 

The honorary consulates (which appear to be in the process of being phased out) receive no MFA funding. However, the embassies and official consulates are funded. I am not sure of the exact mechanism for making up the shortfall in revenue when a decision is made to waive visa fees for a while.

1 minute ago, BritTim said:

The honorary consulates (which appear to be in the process of being phased out) receive no MFA funding. However, the embassies and official consulates are funded. I am not sure of the exact mechanism for making up the shortfall in revenue when a decision is made to waive visa fees for a while.

gotcha. thanks for the clarification.

15 hours ago, cedel said:

A single-entry tourist visa used to be 1,000 baht in some neighbouring countries. Other than that, embassies make up their own prices, depending what exchange rate to the Thai baht they think is appropriate. Meaning, the embassy in France has a more realistic exchange rate, while in Belgium they possibly anticipate, at an exchange rate of 1:25, a further decline of the euro. ????

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There never was a 45 day Visa On Arrival.

It's always been 15 days and the price was raised from 1,000 to 2,000 baht some years ago.

Perhaps you are thinking about the Visa Exempt Entry, which is free and gives 30 days on entry.

During covid it was extended to 45 days for a short period but then reverted to 30 days.

VEE (Visa Exempt Entry) stay can be extended by 30 days for 1,900 baht.

VOA cannot be extended, extension application will be refused and 7 days given to leave the country.

• Like 1