Instore bakery Big C not making bread

Big C instore bakery has always had the best range of premium loafs - Multigrain, multi seed low GI  (my favourite) Wholemeal,Sourdough etc. but the Pak Chong branch has had none for weeks ,saying 'no powder' presumably meaning flour ,I suspect as a result of the Ukraine war. The prepackaged stuff ,even the so called premium stuff,from various retailers is all revolting by comparison. Is this situation mirrored in other Big C stores I wonder ?

See their various breads in Rama IV, Ekkamai, Onnut and others, prices have skyrocketed though (price up and product size seems to have reduced) so I have stopped buying it.

Their best bakery is the Rama IV one in my opinion.

I used to like their sour dough loaf.

Edited by userabcd

4 hours ago, anyone said:

According to the European Commission, Ukraine accounts for just 10% of the world wheat market

The salient point is that between it and Russia it’s a huge exporter,so many non producing countries rely on it. Same with sunflower seeds. 2 litre bottle of sunflower oil in Tesco/big C significantly increased to 199 baht,one with a 3 bottle purchase limit. 

3 hours ago, Farmerslife said:

On a macro level (no, not Makro level ????) worldwide wheat consumption is currently exceeding production - 787 million tonnes as opposed to 778 million tonnes. 

Whilst 10% may sound relatively small, 77 million tonnes doesn’t. Couple that with demand already exceeding production and it isn't difficult to see shortages arising.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, China with its huge population is the largest consumer.  (With India soon to become the world's most populous country I wonder if that will change?)

On a micro level, I have taken to baking my own with really encouraging results. Time is the biggest drawback but if you can spare a little it is well worth it.

20220629_144916.thumb.jpg.7fed80f85808d00af19bd8c52eb4e7f8.jpg

looks very nice. will go well with cheese, salami and a nice Chardonnay ????

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

Most of the breads available certainly fit that description but the big C in store bake is very much better 

I noticed a general decline of good bread on offer over the past couple years, Big C, some Villa Markets, etc. Of course, Covid-19 and a lower number of expats and tourists didn't help.

13 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I noticed a general decline of good bread on offer over the past couple years, Big C, some Villa Markets, etc. Of course, Covid-19 and a lower number of expats and tourists didn't help.

Yeah I noticed that too in various places in Thailand, seems to be exactly that. Even on one of the islands I can see how much bread is left over at the end of the day while it used to be nearly sold out.

They even try to sell bread of the day before and putting the ones of today behind the old ones, not falling for that trick hehe.

Anyway, wish all of those shops stopped selling the crappy bread, if there are ''potential shortages'' the rule should be to only be allowed making quality products. Bread in holland could last a few days, here it is poor within 12 hours already lol.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Farmerslife said:

I'm just an impoverished farmer, sadly, I can't afford a nice Chardonnay ???? - well, not very often ????   

oh. well I'd go to Foodland and put together a care package for you but it would end up in mah belly before I got to the Kerry Express office ????

• Haha 2

On 8/3/2022 at 12:35 PM, Farmerslife said:

On a macro level (no, not Makro level ????) worldwide wheat consumption is currently exceeding production - 787 million tonnes as opposed to 778 million tonnes. 

Whilst 10% may sound relatively small, 77 million tonnes doesn’t. Couple that with demand already exceeding production and it isn't difficult to see shortages arising.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, China with its huge population is the largest consumer.  (With India soon to become the world's most populous country I wonder if that will change?)

On a micro level, I have taken to baking my own with really encouraging results. Time is the biggest drawback but if you can spare a little it is well worth it.

20220629_144916.thumb.jpg.7fed80f85808d00af19bd8c52eb4e7f8.jpg

Looks great, I've been doing the no knead bread for a while now.

Are yours pictured a sour dough?

Thanks 

On 8/3/2022 at 4:04 PM, nchuckle said:

Most of the breads available certainly fit that description but the big C in store bake is very much better 

There are half a dozen independent  bakers who supply restaurants and supermarkets in Pattaya- they have a wide range of  excellent  products- the cake as bread is a bit of a myth, true in the past but not now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, james.d said:

Looks great, I've been doing the no knead bread for a while now.

Are yours pictured a sour dough?

Thanks 

No, not a sourdough. The recipe calls it "Artisan bread". It does require kneading but the hardest part is leaving it to prove for 2 or 3 days before baking.

Now really does a will of iron! ????  

16 hours ago, Farmerslife said:

No, not a sourdough. The recipe calls it "Artisan bread". It does require kneading but the hardest part is leaving it to prove for 2 or 3 days before baking.

Now really does a will of iron! ????  

Thanks for your reply, l leave mine to prove overnight in the fridge, maybe I'll let in prove longer next time.