Thai food and gout

Mamertian

Hi!

I’m trying to find information about thai food and gout. Does anybody know any trustful source or experience about which products should be avoided?

My gout detector says that I should be careful with pla-ra and fish sauce, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

3 hours ago, Andre0720 said:

If one eats Thai food, it is impossible to not eat the bad sugar, refined sugar, in excess.

Exactly. Although the emphasis must be on "in excess". I am a type 2 diabetic by the way.

Indeed very much of all food offerings in Thailand contain sugar. The taste of the average populace obviously longs for that for my relatives denote even food that is just neutral in sweetness as "sour". The standard Thai spice-board contains the four ingredients Chilly powder, fish souce, chilly in vinegar (or just vinegar) and sugar (sometimes grinded peanuts).

Even yoghurt without sugar is hard to find. Some contain sugar surrogates - which makes them awfully tasting regardless of use of stevia or chemical ingredients.

At least - after decades of waiting Perrier has launched a drink that has taste, but is not artificially sweetened. It comes in Peach, Lemon or Pink Grapefruit flavour and is availabel in small cans, medium (330ml) glass bottles and 0.5l plastic bottles. It is not sweet in taste, which suits my palate.

As an imported item it is not cheap. The lemon variety you may substitute with Sing Soda and add a few drops of lemon (not lime), this comes then close to the Perrier.

Edited by moogradod

I used to get gout about once a year when I first came here,

but have not had it for at least 15 years , one thing the Dr.

said was don't eat chicken skin,and shrimps .

The Dr. used to give me an injection and it was gone in a day,

I also used to take Zyloric tablets to control the Uric acid.

regards Worgeordie

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

I used to get gout about once a year when I first came here,

but have not had it for at least 15 years , one thing the Dr.

said was don't eat chicken skin,and shrimps .

The Dr. used to give me an injection and it was gone in a day,

I also used to take Zyloric tablets to control the Uric acid.

regards Worgeordie

Zyloric tabs contain Allopurinol which I take for gout (300mg daily). For me a lot of Thai spicy food will start an attack.

Look out for stress, this can also not help

Gout is caused by accumulation of uric acid. Sometimes change of diet helps, many times it doesn't.

Sometimes it causes kidney stones only, sometimes gout, sometimes both.

There is a medicine to treat gout but you need to be very careful with it and clear it with your urologist as it could have severe side effects. Other than foul smelling urine and very fine sand flushing out. It is Benzbromarone ***, in Thailand sold under Benarone brand. It intercepts purine from food so it doesn't turn into uric acid, and gives your body a chance to clear it out.

From point of how to treat gout attack, NSADs like Nurofen Zavance (spiced up Ibuprofen) could be very effective, but do not take it if you are controlling blood pressure with Valsartan. It can lead to renal failure (kidney failure).

[EDIT: Removing diet part as post above from Andre covered all and more]

*** note, Benzbromarone is banned in EU due to side effects. I am not advertizing it, just saying it worked very well for me. Got mine from hospital first, but later from Diamond pharmacy opposite Siriraj hospital entrance. It is actually quite cheap (unless bought from hospital pharmacy).

Edited by tomazbodner
removed section

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

Zyloric tabs are fine or any similar that contain Allopurinol 300mg .

I suffered from severe gout regularly and did have an attack a month ago in my right foot and ankle and the pain seemed more excruciating than previous, it was horrendous all night ....

I found that drinking water constantly during the day reduced the build up of Uric acid and lessened the chance of a gout attack.  Stay away from ground beef/steak/ if possible and red wine, although a once off every now and then seems fine. 

Also try and buy the Uralyt-U drink to monitor pH in your Uric acid as it prevents crystals from forming.

IMG_20220804_125427.thumb.jpg.0a35f176390a667bf43c6adeb714ec2f.jpg

Agree. If you have a mix of uric acid + calcium stones, Uralyt is a better choice (happens if you have high uric acid but drink mineral water full of calcium... they get coated, and they are very hard to melt off), but possibly more convenient to carry around, are Pocitrin Tab pills. But note that Pocitrin will give you stomach cramps much worse than Uralyt. On the other hand Uralyt is mixed with water so you need to get used to the taste of it. Although compared to 20 years ago, it tastes much less disgusting now. Not quite pleasant, but no longer gross.

Pocitrin 10เม็ด | MMShop - สินค้าเพื่อสุขภาพ

• Like 2