Trip to Europe. Should I disclose my heart conditions to the travel insurance company?

jack71

I have heart disease and Im on meds. 

I worry that if I apply for travel insurance and get rejected due to being honest about my condition then its a pain trying to find a new company. 

If Im over there and something happens I will not make a claim if its heart related as I know they will investigate and find out its pre existing condition. 

Therefore should I disclose to the company or not?

thanks

• Like 1

I assume you are not a member of any EU country. Regardless, within the EU everybody will receive "emrgency medical treatement".

Of course, after that, the question arises "who is going to pay for it"?  Not being part of the EU, you will pay for it.

Recomendation: If your heart condition is not acute, you will be able to secure some travel-insurance. At a premium, well understood. Covering a 3 week holiday but not a 5 year stay. (Expensive, but affordable).

Without any health coverage at all you will be held responible for outstanding medical bills, as long as you live in the "western world". To avoid "medical-bills" you would have to relocate to Zimbabwe.

Look for a European insurance policy designed for incoming visitors. The kind that Thais have to show the embassy to get a visa. 

These policies often don't ask if you have preexisting conditions.

That doesn't mean,  preexisting conditions are covered.  They are not covered.  But as long as there is no claim nobody asks. 

These policies often cover acute,  unexpected exacerbation of a preexisting condition, like Sheryl said.

Look for the biggest insurers in the country you want to go,  they probably have some "incoming policy" on offer. 

For instance,  Thais who travel to Germany often chose the "incoming police" from ADAC, Germany's biggest travel insurance. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, jack71 said:

Therefore should I disclose to the company or not?

You definitively should. If something happen it voids the insurance even if some thing happen that is not related to your heart. Like an accident. The insurance company can sell you an insurance tailored for you.

• Thanks 1

Check the well known companies. Some have better coverage when you ask the right question , at a premium.  What passport do you have ? Don’t lie, if found  out it will cancel your policy completely.

See Sheryl’s post above.

• Thanks 1

i tested/ applied for several travel ins policies - up to the payment page. Non of them ask the question if I have any pre existing conditions. But all of them refer to the matter in the 'exclusions' fine print. 

The above is the opposite to when I tried to apply for regular health insurance coverage for living in thailand. All policies asked if I had pre existing. I admitted to one insurer and was rejected. 

No, Don't disclose your heart condition.

Can you get travel insurance here in Thailand before you leave.  There a lot less thorough.

Travel insurance is hard to claim even in the best circumstances. 

On 8/4/2022 at 11:57 PM, jack71 said:

If Im over there and something happens I will not make a claim if its heart related as I know they will investigate and find out its pre existing condition. 

Regardless, if you didn't make a claim, and let's assume something else happened to you, they could refuse to pay for anything as the contract becomes null and void once you have made a false statement.

Always disclose your pre-existing conditions, you can still get travel insurance without them covering you for your pre-existing condition, I have done it many times, having a heart condition also.

• Thanks 2

You stated "Europe" but did not state whether in European Union or not. Nevertheless, it's unlikely that anywhere in Europe would decline to treat a life threatening episode. True, they may rightly try to chase you for payment afterwards. Best bet is to come to the UK (still in Europe but not EU) where the (Inter)National Health Service gives totally FREE treatment to all comers with zero checks and no jeopardy of having to pay anyway. Just as it should be. No?

15 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Regardless, if you didn't make a claim, and let's assume something else happened to you, they could refuse to pay for anything as the contract becomes null and void once you have made a false statement.

Always disclose your pre-existing conditions, you can still get travel insurance without them covering you for your pre-existing condition, I have done it many times, having a heart condition also.

I mentioned above.... when applying for the travel insurance there is absolutely no questions about pre existing conditions. They dont require the information. 

12 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

You stated "Europe" but did not state whether in European Union or not. Nevertheless, it's unlikely that anywhere in Europe would decline to treat a life threatening episode. True, they may rightly try to chase you for payment afterwards. Best bet is to come to the UK (still in Europe but not EU) where the (Inter)National Health Service gives totally FREE treatment to all comers with zero checks and no jeopardy of having to pay anyway. Just as it should be. No?

Is that 100% correct is it? The NHS will treat any nationality flying into the Uk for free... Wow

13 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Yes. 

No. When applying for travel insurance they dont ask at all for pre existing conditions. I checked several online applications for travel insurance. one does not need to declare them initially. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/6/2022 at 2:04 PM, jack71 said:

No. When applying for travel insurance they dont ask at all for pre existing conditions. I checked several online applications for travel insurance. one does not need to declare them initially. 

I also saw this in a quote I did . As regards pre existing conditions, is there a time period I wonder? How long can the pre-existing condition go back for it to be excluded?